New HP laptop - Trouble with system image backup and partitioning.

FrozenWarrior

Right off the assembly line
Hello.

I recently purchased the new HP Envy 6-1002tx.

1. I am unable to do a the standard windows 'create a system backup' in the Backup and Restore option. After a while, it gives a 0x80070002 error saying 'The system cannot find the file specified' ; and my External hard drive autoplays. I have found quite a few similar problems online but none of the solutions have worked. I tried doing a factory restore, failed again.

2. While partitioning the hard drive using Disk Management, I was easily able to shrink the C: to 125 GB but faced problems when creating a new volume. It asks to create the Basic ton Dynamic Disk and then fails to do so. Apparently there are 4 primary volumes already - System, c:, Recovery and HP tools. So how do I allocate the remaining?

3. The HP Envy 6 does not have an optical drive, so how do I best create a backup of my OS?

Thank you.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
1. I am unable to do a the standard windows 'create a system backup' in the Backup and Restore option. After a while, it gives a 0x80070002 error saying 'The system cannot find the file specified' ; and my External hard drive autoplays. I have found quite a few similar problems online but none of the solutions have worked. I tried doing a factory restore, failed again.

I don't find it useful to be frank. There are better alternatives available.

2. While partitioning the hard drive using Disk Management, I was easily able to shrink the C: to 125 GB but faced problems when creating a new volume. It asks to create the Basic ton Dynamic Disk and then fails to do so. Apparently there are 4 primary volumes already - System, c:, Recovery and HP tools. So how do I allocate the remaining?

There can only 4 be primary partitions. If you want more than that, then create one "logical partition" which enables you to have 64 partitions. Delete any one partition (last if possible), and create an extended (logical) partition. Now you can allocate the remaining space. And better use Easeus partition manager than windows stock app.

3. The HP Envy 6 does not have an optical drive, so how do I best create a backup of my OS?

This thread will answer your question. *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/freeware/...drive-software-has-virtual-media-feature.html

OP
F

FrozenWarrior

There can only 4 be primary partitions. If you want more than that, then create one "logical partition" which enables you to have 64 partitions. Delete any one partition (last if possible), and create an extended (logical) partition. Now you can allocate the remaining space. And better use Easeus partition manager than windows stock app.

I installed Easeus partition manager and converted the HP tools one to logical. Didn't work like that. Is it okay if I convert the C: one to logical? I would have two logical drives then, the windows one - C: - and the new volume one.

Is it okay if I delete the HP tools partition? Do I need a backup for the same? I tried merging it with the Recovery partition but they were different file systems.

This page here : How to repartition HDD of HP notebook with pre-loaded Window... - HP Support Forum suggests deleting the System partition after making backup CDs. Is it okay if I go ahead with just a drive image on my EHD?

Thanks.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I installed Easeus partition manager and converted the HP tools one to logical. Didn't work like that. Is it okay if I convert the C: one to logical? I would have two logical drives then, the windows one - C: - and the new volume one.

You can't convert C: to logical as boot partition always needs to primary, at least in windows case. Keep 3 partitions as primary, 4th one as logical/extended. Post a screenshot of your Disk Manager.

Is it okay if I delete the HP tools partition? Do I need a backup for the same? I tried merging it with the Recovery partition but they were different file systems.

This page here : How to repartition HDD of HP notebook with pre-loaded Window... - HP Support Forum suggests deleting the System partition after making backup CDs. Is it okay if I go ahead with just a drive image on my EHD?

Don't mess with the recovery partition. You can delete it after creating back up media, but suppose if your ODD goes kaput, and you're OS is corrupted, then you're doomed. And I can't understand why do you need to delete it ?
And I can't comment on HP tools partition (I don't really know what it contains), but will again recommend not to delete it. Any HP user can comment.

OP
F

FrozenWarrior

I converted the Recovery partition to logical and then created a new volume using the allocated space. Should be okay I suppose?

tubaoo

I am glad to be of help about your second problem because I faced before too. all HP or Dell OEM machine has such problem because there are four primary partitions on the disk. regarding such problem, as my friend suggested, I would like to recommend you the freeware AOMEI Partition Assistant Home Edition because it could create partition even there are already four primary partitions or have no unallocated space. you can google and try.
It seems that this free program was great and reviewed by pcworld.
Aomei Partition Assistant Home Edition description, Hard Disk Downloads List By 30 Day Change | PCWorld | PCWorld

OP
F

FrozenWarrior

Yes, I reverted all changes some time ago. There are still 4 partitions with around 445 GB on C:. You advised to leave the Recovery and HP tools alone. I hope there is some kind of solution available.

Also, the software mentioned above only works by converting recovery to logical. Doesn't help.

akkib89

Broken In
Your error is indicating hard drive error(maybe bad sector or virus). Do a compete format. Highly recommended.

Top Bottom