New HDD/SDD Suggestion to replace a dying HDD

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
Hello Guys!! Finally I am in a unique situation which I can post here to ask for help.

I have a few years old Lenovo Ideapad Y500 and unsurprisingly, its HDD is dying, so I am in need of another HDD. Here comes the bonus : My brother promised to buy me a SSD if i could complete a project for him. So I guess I'll have a SSD in few months as well.

Now this laptop has ULTRABAY feature meaning you can remove the DVD drive n replace it with HDD caddy for additional storage. As I hardly use the DVD drive, I am gonna put it to good use!!

So these are my options:

1. Buy New HDD and replace it the dying one, then later replace it with SSD (terrible choice, waste of at least 1 HDD)
  2. Buy new HDD and replace it the dying one, then buy mSATA SSD and add it to mSATA slot (not bad but waste of money in mSATA SSD)
  3. Buy new HDD with HDD caddy, switch the dying one to caddy and place the new HDD in primary slot. What to do with SSD?

What to do??

Bonus Questions
Is buying mSATA SSD future proof??
Apart from HDD dying, what are the things that may break down in old Laptops??

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Don't buy the mSATA but a SATA SSD from either Samsung or Crucial.

I think they both offer international warranty. Just check with them before buying. OK.

Sent from my Lenovo K6 Power using Tapatalk

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
SSDs can either be used in a desktop or laptop right, so you can sell them if you want after using them.

But mSATA doesn't have much market feasibility. They have limited 2nd hand market also.

I think we need to see future proofing also.

Nowadays M.2 SSD or NVME SSD are the future.

You are still in mSATA period. Come on man, grow up.

OP
ariftwister

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
SSDs can either be used in a desktop or laptop right, so you can sell them if you want after using them.

But mSATA doesn't have much market feasibility. They have limited 2nd hand market also.

I think we need to see future proofing also.

Nowadays M.2 SSD or NVME SSD are the future.

You are still in mSATA period. Come on man, grow up.

I have no idea and intention to sell SSD!!

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
I have no idea and intention to sell SSD!!
If you have no idea to sell then also M.2 SSD or NVME are the way to go for more future proofing.

Else SSDs are best since you can get best brands with blazing speeds with good warranty.

Like Samsung or Crucial.

I prefer Crucial because of the cheaper cost per GB than Samsung.

OP
ariftwister

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
If you have no idea to sell then also M.2 SSD or NVME are the way to go for more future proofing.

Else SSDs are best since you can get best brands with blazing speeds with good warranty.

Like Samsung or Crucial.

I prefer Crucial because of the cheaper cost per GB than Samsung.

My laptop is old and it doesn't support newer M2 SSD.!! Also I am buying new 1 TB HDD, so buying normal SSD means, new HDD will be a waste!!

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
Just buy a new HDD and then replace the old HDD with a new ssd

Sent from my Redmi Note 3

vito scalleta

In the zone
^+1 thats what i did. Bought a hdd caddy to reolace the optical drive for my y510p. Also ur lap will have only one SATA 3 . The other will be SATA2. Make sure u plug the ssd in sata 3.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

OP
ariftwister

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
Just buy a new HDD and then replace the old HDD with a new ssd

^+1 thats what i did. Bought a hdd caddy to reolace the optical drive for my y510p. Also ur lap will have only one SATA 3 . The other will be SATA2. Make sure u plug the ssd in sata 3.

This seems like a viable solution!! Any recommendations for HDD and SSD ?? Requirements are 1 TB and 250GB respectively!

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
This seems like a viable solution!! Any recommendations for HDD and SSD ?? Requirements are 1 TB and 250GB respectively!
WD Caviar Blue 1TB -3700.
Crucial MX300 275GB SSD -6900.

Next best alternative

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD -7400.

All prices are based on primeabgb.com

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
WD Caviar Blue 1TB -3700.
Crucial MX300 275GB SSD -6900.

Next best alternative

Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD -7400.

All prices are based on primeabgb.com

That HDD isnt a 2.5" one which he needs because laptop

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
Are you mentally sure about it?
Which one isn't? Please elobarate.
WD caviar is desktop line
WD Scorpio is laptop line
The one you suggested is Caviar
Also laptop 1TB HDD is 4.3K on primeabgb (WD Blue )
Buy Online | Western Digital 1TB 2.5" 5400* RPM Notebook Internal Hard Drive WD10JPVX | Price in Indi
So yes you suggested a desktop hdd.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
WD caviar is desktop line
WD Scorpio is laptop line
The one you suggested is Caviar
Also laptop 1TB HDD is 4.3K on primeabgb (WD Blue )
Buy Online | Western Digital 1TB 2.5" 5400* RPM Notebook Internal Hard Drive WD10JPVX | Price in Indi
So yes you suggested a desktop hdd.

Going with 5400rpm drives is waste of money.

It's better to invest in a high capacity SSD or go for only 7200rpm HDD drives.

ZTR

Cyborg Agent
Going with 5400rpm drives is waste of money.

It's better to invest in a high capacity SSD or go for only 7200rpm HDD drives.

He is buying a ssd also so does it matter?
As the hdd will be for storage purposes and not for booting,programs etc

OP
ariftwister

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
5400rpm vs 7200rpm... How much difference does it make?? in terms of price vs performance!!

- - - Updated - - -

Can you elaborate on the SATA2/3 part?? Did your HDD caddy came with Bezel or not??

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
sata 2 is 3gbps(divide by 8 to get real transfer speeds as shown in copy paste which is {3*1024}/8 or 384MB/s) while sata 3 is 6gbps or 768MB/s.As top SSDs can cross speeds of 400-500MB/s it is recommended to use SSD with sata 3 ports.

I don't recommend 7200rpm laptop 2.5" hdd because of heating issues.As laptop hdd will run inside a tight enclosure heat dissipation is always an issue.In cold countries it is not an issue but here in India if you run a movie or a game off a 7200rpm laptop hdd in a non-AC room in a city like Delhi in summer expect hdd temps to easily cross 55C within an hour.The way I see it even a 7200rpm laptop hdd will not come close to a ssd performance & if you are going to use it as a storage device & not copy pasting 100GBs every week,there is no advantage in getting a 7200rpm laptop hdd as a storage hdd over 5400rpm laptop hdd.

For system performance use OS on SSD as primary laptop hdd & for storage purposes use a large capacity 5400rpm as secondary laptop hdd.

OP
ariftwister

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
sata 2 is 3gbps(divide by 8 to get real transfer speeds as shown in copy paste which is {3*1024}/8 or 384MB/s) while sata 3 is 6gbps or 768MB/s.As top SSDs can cross speeds of 400-500MB/s it is recommended to use SSD with sata 3 ports.

I don't recommend 7200rpm laptop 2.5" hdd because of heating issues.As laptop hdd will run inside a tight enclosure heat dissipation is always an issue.In cold countries it is not an issue but here in India if you run a movie or a game off a 7200rpm laptop hdd in a non-AC room in a city like Delhi in summer expect hdd temps to easily cross 55C within an hour.The way I see it even a 7200rpm laptop hdd will not come close to a ssd performance & if you are going to use it as a storage device & not copy pasting 100GBs every week,there is no advantage in getting a 7200rpm laptop hdd as a storage hdd over 5400rpm laptop hdd.

For system performance use OS on SSD as primary laptop hdd & for storage purposes use a large capacity 5400rpm as secondary laptop hdd.
Thanks a lot.. That clears a lot of doubt!!!

Sent from my ZUK Z2131 using Tapatalk

OP
ariftwister

ariftwister

Truth Seeker
Update : Ordered SSD (WD Blue 250GB Internal Solid State Drive (WDS250G1B0A) and HDD (WD 1TB Blue Notebook Internal Hard Drive (WD10JPVX)) and HDD Caddy!! Fingers crossed!!

- - - Updated - - -

And Thankfully My Laptop supports SATA III on both the ports!!

*image.ibb.co/kYQSVa/Screenshot_142.png

Top Bottom