New gaming PC for 40k - minus monitor and GPU

bippukt

In the zone
Sorry, I am typing this on my mobile, so formatting might be a bit off. Secondly, I have been away from the gaming scene for the last 5 months, so ignore my ignorance :p

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run?

Ans: Primary purpose is gaming, with a bit of work. I play all kind of games from RTS to FPS to RPG so anything from FIFA 16 to Assassins Creed to a future Crysis in 1080p resolution at 50-60 fps. I am okay with high instead of ultra settings.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.

Ans: 40k. Maybe extended up to 50k if mileage increases significantly.

3. Planning to overclock?

Ans: No. Never.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?

Ans: Windows 10. Or 7 if I don't upgrade. Ubuntu for work only.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?

Ans: 1 TB is good enough.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.

Ans: I have a good Dell 21 inch monitor with 1920x1080 resolution. 3 year old but works fine and I can always upgrade later.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?

Ans: Monitor. And GPU possibly. I have a 3 year old Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor-X that doesn't overheat if kept in a ventilated cabinet. Will have to replace GPU in max 1 year though.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: 1-2 weeks

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?

Ans: I can but have never assembled.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?

Ans: Buying locally in Bengaluru, although if there is a really good online, I could wait. Unlikely however.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?

Ans: I will prefer an i5 non-overclockable system, but I am not against AMD products. Do the latest motherboards for i5 support my GPU? Because if not, then I need to think if I should buy older processor or get new processor and new GPU. Please note that I will have to buy all the peripherals as well, so please do not go too much over the budget. I am okay with upgrading in 2 instead of 3 years as long as I can play on Ultra-High for that time.

I don't want to start any flame wars but I was seriously thinking of just buying a PS4, and it is still not completely ruled out - 35k vs 70k+. But then I got the monitor and GPU from my brother when he upgraded. PS4 will still be cheaper, not to mention easier as Sony Centre is very close to my home. But I will lose access to strategy games - Civ 6 comes soon! And indie games - not paying 1500-3000 for them! Not to mention the normal game prices. I doubt anyone in this forum will disagree with this choice. Not sure why I typed this.

OP
B

bippukt

In the zone
Well, this is surprising. For the first time in 8 years, the Digit forum has disappointed me. Does no-one have any suggestions?

Anyway, I have continued my research and this is my vague plan as of now. I am not sure about the prices.

Processor: Intel core i5 6500 - 15k
Motherboard: No idea - I am guessing 7k?
RAM: G-Skill Ripjaws 8GB 2400/2700 mhz - 3k
SMPS: Seasonic M12II 520W (hopefully it will be enough for a future GTX 970) - 5.5k
Cabinet: Please suggest me something good for around 3-5k
HDD: 1 TB - approx 4k?
DVD Drive: approx 1-1.5k?

In addition, I already have:
Monitor: Dell 21 inch 1920x1080
GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor-X, 3 years old so temporary

Speakers, mouse, keyboard, headphone extra and I will buy them separately if needed.

Suggestions or details, anyone?

OP
B

bippukt

In the zone
Sorry, this site is lightly broken on android chrome, it seems. Mistakenly deleted my last reply.

Thnks, I will wait for the 1070.

BTW, any suggestions for a good cabinet? And is the Seasonic 520W power supply future proof or should I get 620W to be safe for the future 1070?

nac

Aspiring Novelist
SMPS: Seasonic M12II 520W (hopefully it will be enough for a future GTX 970) - 5.5k

Speakers, mouse, keyboard, headphone extra and I will buy them separately if needed.

That's a Nice config :thumbs:
Asus B150M Plus will cost you 7850/- or Asus H170M Plus - 9250/-

BTW, any suggestions for a good cabinet? And is the Seasonic 520W power supply future proof or should I get 620W to be safe for the future 1070?
1070 consumes less power than 970, so 520W should be good enough for 1070/-
Check out Corsair carbide series 100r - 300r

OP
B

bippukt

In the zone
That's a Nice config :thumbs:
Asus B150M Plus will cost you 7850/- or Asus H170M Plus - 9250/-

1070 consumes less power than 970, so 520W should be good enough for 1070/-
Check out Corsair carbide series 100r - 300r

Thanks, sounds good then. I will go to the shop this weekend. I will post here when I get the new PC.

Lincon_WD

WD Official
Hi [MENTION=51046]bippukt[/MENTION],

For your information, if you are looking for a high performance gaming rig; you really need to add a good GPU for graphics and RAM 16GB (8x2) for speed. If you run 2 RAM sticks, you will be running memory in dual channel which will be a greater increase in performance than running a single stick in single channel.

For Storage, SSD and HDD will improve loading times but not much else. It is flash memory and access information much faster as there are no moving parts such as the drive head that reads a disk. As for other performance, you should not see a significant impact in using SSD except for boot-ups.

After you add the new component in the system then you really need a higher wattage PSU. The minimum requirement for gaming rig PSU is 600 or 650W.

Hope it helps.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Well, this is surprising. For the first time in 8 years, the Digit forum has disappointed me. Does no-one have any suggestions?

Anyway, I have continued my research and this is my vague plan as of now. I am not sure about the prices.

Budget-45k

Processor: Intel Core i5 6500 -15000,
Motherboard: Gigabyte B150M-D3H -7500,
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB 2400Mhz -2500,
SMPS: Seasonic M12II 520w -6000,
Cabinet: Antec GX500 -4500,
HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB -3700,
DVD/RW : Asus 24B3ST DVD/RW -1100,
SSD : Kingston UV400 240GB SSD -4500.
TOTAL -44,800.

Top Bottom