New cheap phone required.

Soumik

Padawan
Hi All,

My defy is not responding as of now. So, for the time being i need a replacement.

1. Budget - As much cheap as possible.
2. Display type and size - As big as possible.
3. Form Factor - doesnt matter
4. Preferred choice of brand - doesnt matter - I wouldnt mind Lemon or GFive or any brand for that matter
5. Preferred input method - doesnt matter
6. What camera option you want - No Camera
7. Preferred operating system - doesnt matter
8. Preferred connectivity options - gprs should be there preferrably. Nothing else matters
9. Preferred applications (Flash, Swype, GPS, etc) - Nothing (its a temporary replacement)
10. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, mails, internet, gaming etc) - Voice calls and sms :)
11. Any specific mobile phones in consideration - C1-02.. but its out of stock in most online shops :(
12. Any other info that you want to share - Want the phone to be as slim as possible. want 3.5mm jack and memory card support if possible.

Any suggestion ?

Last edited:

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
One of the cheapest options...

1. Spice M-5005 - Rs 1029 on Saholic -- Spice M-5005 | Spice Mobile Phones | Saholic.com

*img1.flixcart.com//image/mobile/a/g/f/spice-m-5005-275x275-imad4q36c2fyxhsq.jpeg

* 1.7" screen
* Dual SIM, Dual Standby
* 4 GB MicroSD card Support
* GPRS support
* LED Torch
* Support for MP3 playback
* It even has a VGA camera... ;)

Couldn't find any info about its headphone jack... So, that might be a problem... Most probably proprietary.

Its a super cheap phone... But really a temporary replacement for your Defy...

A better option would be Samsung Hero Music 1232for Rs 1600 on Flipkart. Better brand, better warranty support, better UI, better battery...

*img25.flixcart.com//image/mobile/j/p/b/samsung-hero-music-e1232b-275x275-imad47e9htsncyhy.jpeg

All other features are same... Just an extra 600 bucks... Its got a 3.5" headphone jack. Not sure about GPRS support though...

ofabhishek

║ Green World ║
One of the cheapest options...

1. Spice M-5005 - Rs 1029 on Saholic -- Spice M-5005 | Spice Mobile Phones | Saholic.com

*img1.flixcart.com//image/mobile/a/g/f/spice-m-5005-275x275-imad4q36c2fyxhsq.jpeg

* 1.7" screen
* Dual SIM, Dual Standby
* 4 GB MicroSD card Support
* GPRS support
* LED Torch
* Support for MP3 playback
* It even has a VGA camera... ;)

Couldn't find any info about its headphone jack... So, that might be a problem... Most probably proprietary.

Its a super cheap phone... But really a temporary replacement for your Defy...

A better option would be Samsung Hero Music 1232for Rs 1600 on Flipkart. Better brand, better warranty support, better UI, better battery...

*img25.flixcart.com//image/mobile/j/p/b/samsung-hero-music-e1232b-275x275-imad47e9htsncyhy.jpeg

All other features are same... Just an extra 600 bucks... Its got a 3.5" headphone jack. Not sure about GPRS support though...

I've used some spice phones(they absolutely weren't mine)... and i can say tht they don't know/care about ergonomics or user comfortability...

for eg. ur finger will be aching if u'll text more
they're so dull in responding, they only have long spec list to count out.... who uses the GPRS or Camera of a 2k phone...??

on the other hand u buy any similar budget Nokia, Samsung phones and u won't feel such things thr.... u'll get all the basic features like mp3, bluetooth, dual-sim support etc in their lower range phones too....

OP
Soumik

Soumik

Padawan
Thank you for your suggestions... I seriously dont want camera to be present... :p
So 2 phones...
Samsung Guru E1085T from Sam
and Samsung Hero Music 1232 from Androidfan..
How about Nokia 101 and x1-02?

I actually liked the spice one from the pic.. but it has camera .. :(

@Abhishek... I know.. spice and all are really bad in design and build quality.. but am just looking for a temp replacement.. so that i can receive and send calls while i get my defy fixed. So i wont mind Spice or even iBall or whatever :)

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Samsung Hero Music & Nokia 101 doesn't have GPRS. the former doesn't even have a 3.5mm jack so i skipped both.

else buy Nokia C1-02 locally or Nokia Authorized Dealer.

OP
Soumik

Soumik

Padawan
ok.. waht about the x1-02? am afraid local dealers may price c1-02 over 2K.. cause one of my colleagues got it a couple of months back...for 2.2K from a local nokia shop :(

ok even that doesnt have gprs.. :(
i'll chk the local shops for c1-02 then. hopefully some will be open tomorrow.
Otherwise will have to go for something without gprs...

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
ok.. waht about the x1-02? am afraid local dealers may price c1-02 over 2K.. cause one of my colleagues got it a couple of months back...for 2.2K from a local nokia shop :(

ok even that doesnt have gprs.. :(
i'll chk the local shops for c1-02 then. hopefully some will be open tomorrow.
Otherwise will have to go for something without gprs...

i never knew there was a X1-02 also :wink:

C1-02 was priced at 2k a few months back. after pricecut it sells for 1.8k or less.

OP
Soumik

Soumik

Padawan
ooh yeah sorry.. typo... x1-01.. :D
hmm.. if its less than 1.8K i'll buy it immediately... :)
will let u know.. will go out now.. :)

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
X1-01 is @1920 at Flipkart... Looks very good... Has a huge battery... Checked a few other sites, but prices are comparable... Maybe you could find a better deal in local stores...

*img14.flixcart.com//image/mobile/m/e/a/nokia-x1-01-400x400-imadfw4wvaguqzph.jpeg

Check its user reviews on flipkart before buying... The first review is very well written...

PROS
1. Beautifully finished shell case (Although it is all plastic)
2. Extremely lightweight and nice phone grip....fits your palm perfectly
3. Superb keypad with very soft-to-press and responsive keys....you'll love texting on this phone
4. Sturdy looks and design....the curve does not allow the speaker sound to die out even if the phone is placed with the speaker towards the ground
5. Both the sims function simultaneously....true dual sim functionality
6. Outstanding built-in loud speaker quality....simply superb
7. Humongous battery backup....ideal for busy lifestyle usage
8. Ideal phone for rough & tough usage....mine has already slipped and fell on the ground twice, no sweat, the back cover comes out alongwith the battery on falling, just reassemble everything and the cell is as good as new, without a scratch
9. Good FM Transceiver
10. Outstanding anticipation to Memory Cards....I am using an 8 GB memory card and it functions smoothly
11. Original dual sim functionality....If you are calling from 1 sim, the 2nd sim calls would be shown as call waiting both to the receiver and the caller
12. Fantastic flashlight torch....really comes in very handy at times

CONS
1. Above average Music player with no Equalizer settings available (But if you have good ear/head phones, you'll love the output quality)
2. No Data cable connectivity port (But you have a Hot swappable slot for memory card)
3. Below Average operating system design....no fun at all and kinda rusty (But who cares, I most certainly do not)
4. GPRS connectivity not possible (I dont need it anyways)
5. No file manager interface provided (But you can manage your songs directly from the player)
6. Navigation key works only 4 ways & cannot be pressed to select any item (Big deal....hah)
7. Front panel of the phone is a finger print magnet (I always keep a wipe handy on need)
8. No bluetooth, video player, customizable themes or wallpapers, photo viewer or call record feature (come on, seriously, what would you expect out of a Rs. 1826 phone from nokia, it already is packed to the brim with more features than what fits the bill)

My rating for this phone on the basis of usability, monetary worth, features, functioning and comparison with phones of the same cost group is 9.5/10

Cheers!

X1-01 is VFM phone, I am using it as a backup device but it too has some issues, like the network goes down on its own, few reboots etc.

I would suggest to go for Samsung Hero Music 1232, as my friend is using it and I like it much better in looks than X1-01. Plus, the sound quality is clear and no leak through speaker as compared to X1-01.

OP
Soumik

Soumik

Padawan
but hero music doesnt have a 3.5 mm jack. and .3" smaller screen. Is there any sammy with a larger screen without camera and 3.5mm jack? I remember seeing one dual sim guru with 2" screen.... but i cant find it now in the online lists. :(
so far finding c1-02 seems to be the best phone in this budget... the shops were closed here today so couldnt verify local availability... :(

OP
Soumik

Soumik

Padawan
yeah yeah that one... :)
ooh i didnt notice it. anyways... with 2" screen and 256k colors... it surely would have looked real good for a cheap phone.. was around 1600 some months back..
Anyways... seems the E1232B is not with smaller screen.. 1.8 with 3.5mm jack.. kinda liking tht one.. for the online options...

S

siddhipatel

You can also go for Micromax X200 as I think micromax has many mobile phones with latest technology and lowest price. Again Micromax X370, Micromax X230 are another options for you.

OP
Soumik

Soumik

Padawan
Hi all, I finally got the Samsung Hero Music 1232 a few weeks back. I though writing a review.. but really i dont think it deserves a full review :p.
Anyways... writing my impressions on it.

The first thing u notice is a very upmarket design of it. Its all plastic, but so is GSII :p. Anyways, the design makes it look a lot thinner than other phones in same range. The textured back is really a joy to hold, and is fingerprint free. Build quality is nice. I am used to to rubberized back and thinkness of Defy, so this is a very small device to me. I keep dropping it opten but not a single scratch yet in around 10 drops to indoor concrete and tiles. Sometimes the door comes out, and then the battery also comes out. But u can assemble it back and works in a jiffy.
The screen is quite bright and all fonts are very readable. Indoors i dont need anything other the lowest brightness to read anything on it. Feels very bright. Even the viewing angles are fair for this price range. But the screen is extremely reflective, and it makes direct sunlight legibility impossible.
Keypad is nice and comfortable. The backlight is not uniform, but does the job.
Comes with proprietary headphones. Which are quite good. But has option for 3.5mm jack too. Fortunately, for the time being i am using the Defy's headphones on it. There is, as far i could see, no difference in sound quality between Defy and Sammy Hero. neither out of the world, but good enough for me.
There is support for memory card, but is not hot swappable. Unlike my old Sammy Star, there is virtually no delay in reading the 2 GB card i stuck in it. It doesnt have ay file explorer, so only when u access the music player, it will start scanning the card for music and videos. The scanning happens in the backend, so i can come out of the scan after it starts, and i an go to it later and it will be done by then. Didnt bother trying any video format, just playing the old mp3 s i had in that card.
Performance of the phone is nice. Starts up in around 13 sec flat and ready to make calls from phone book. Shut down takes blink of an eye :p. No lag other than the memory card scanning part. And even when its going on the background, no lag elsewhere.
Loudspeaker quality is okaish. decent clarity, no sound breaking yet, but volume could have been louder. I miss calls unless i keep vibrate on.
Batterylife is awesome. Coming from an android feels like amazing. If i see the battery in the last strand, i would be panicking on Defy, but here i am relaxed.. thinking i have enough juice for 2 more days :p.
Complete charge lasts around 5 days with heavy usage, like 3 hours of call each day, around 500 sms total and about 3-4 hours of radio/music each day. Who knows how long it would last with nominal usage :p.

Downsides :
No GPRS.
Menu system looks too deep after coming from android interface.
No bundles software to sync with PC.
No file manager, so no direct way of copying music onto the phone. (Doubt - Is there any???)
Dual band GSM. So wont work in many countries. Kinda local device. (Doubt - will it work in US???)

Hmm thats abt it :).

Last edited:
Top Bottom