New build for home HD video editing

CBS

Right off the assembly line
Hi everyone! My first post here. Have been following the forum for the past few days. Great job guys!!

I am planning an upgrade from an old P4 mainly for home HD video editing and normal everyday usage. The new machine will not be used for gaming at all.

I have so far used Pinnacle, version 12 being the current installation but am tempted to migrate to Powerdirector. Any thoughts?

How does the following look:

CPU: i5 3450
Mobo: Asus P8H77-M
RAM: Corsair vengeance CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9 4GB x 2
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB ST1000DM003

I would also appreciate suggestions for a blu-ray writer. This could be bought at a later date as there seems to be a severe lack of choice now.

I have no intentions of OCing or using SLI/Crossfire. Are these in any way advantageous for video editing?

I have also found several suggestions that a discreet GPU would not help very much. Any thoughts on that?

Plan to purchace within a week. I will retain my old keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers and possibly the cabinet.

I have a 450W CIL-Odyssey PSU in an old Zebronics 'Pleasant' 3 fan cabinet. Should I change either of these? The cabinet does seem good.

I would like to buy from Flipkart. Anyone has any experience with them?

Budgetwise I would not like to go much higher than the cost of above configuration unless there is significant advantage.

Thanks in advance.

Naxal

Little Kid
I have no intentions of OCing or using SLI/Crossfire. Are these in any way advantageous for video editing?

It does helps in processing power increase hence reducing the time takes for encoding / decoding or editing processor hungry jobs but its tricky :p since there is not 2+2=4 type stuff with OC, one has to read much and go ahead with a Trial and error type process to learn about it and extract the best result of from the given hardware and to run it stable.

Beware, OC only when you know exactly what you are doing since failed OC attempt may damage the system and there will be no warranty if system is damaged due to OC :p

So if you dont have much idea about OC, then its better to be in stock settings :)

Top Bottom