New Amd Rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

cynosure

UbuntuUser
^^Then I am going to buy AMD X2 5600 only.
plan cancelled

I searched google and AMD was planning to launch their proc. in mid 2007
that means the procs will come out in the Q4 (coz its an AMD product):D:D:D
I cant wait till then

rahul30

Techzilla!
cynosure said:
^^Then I am going to buy AMD X2 5600 only.
plan cancelled

I searched google and AMD was planning to launch their proc. in mid 2007
that means the procs will come out in the Q4 (coz its an AMD product):D:D:D
I cant wait till then

amd x2 5600 will also be a great buy but do u have ne idea abt the prices,availability here in india and also does it come with 65nm tdp?

premsharma

In the zone
rahul30 said:
buddy i went to the market today and these are the prices i got

1) amd x2 4800- rs 6175
amd x2 5200- rs 8450

2) biostar motherboard 690g (that guy said its sli and i dont think its possible)- rs. 5000

3) 1 gb ddr2 667 mhz ram- 2450
4)160gb hard disk sata- 2400

except for the motherboard i suppose everything is fixed...i m not really getting one point that this dealer is claiming that it is an atx motherboard sli with amd 690g...i have'nt found this anywhere in any websites??? u got any
idea?

No this biostar board is not ATX. It is mATX and it is not SLI either. It costs arround Rs 4100. Check theitwares.com for prices. Your dealer is mad. The only ATX in AMD 690G is from Gigabyte.

magnet said:
i dont know why u ppl prefer amd when u shelving above 10k on mobo cpu.....

e4300 best stuff to buy if u have that much money...

i myself got an amd one today.....

amd 3600+ and jetway board...but will oc it to use at speed of 4600+ processer....i jus spended 6.8k on both...if htpc is the reason.. than its fine....

btw u wont find biostar board now...they have gone all nvidia now and jus 1-2 days bak they released one board...so i guess by end of the month ull get one but with nvidia chipset

Beacuse for C2D you have to spend 8- 10,000 for motherboard alone and that too with bekar onboard graphics. That is the precise reason we like AMD abd more over AMD 690G mobos have better onboard gfx at present and it cost between 3600 to 5100 for motherboard

cynosure said:
Waise guys I thougt bout this config which I am going to buy maybe next month. Post your comments::

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400+
Asus M2AVM-HDMI
2x2/1x4 GB 667MHz RAM (Going for a 64bit Linux):D:D:D
Seagate 320GB SATA II HDD
Lite-On LH-20A1P DVD burner
Benq 17 '' FP71G LCD VDU
Any 2.1 speaker system (creative most prob.)
Logitech Keybord+mouse combo
APC 1KVA/800VA UPS
Cabinet with 600W PSU.

Your Config is superb. APC 800 VA is more than enough. It will cost you arround 5k. You can reconsider your mobo, because Asus M2AVM-HDMI comes with separate HDMI card which goes into PCI-E slot, that means lateron, if you want to add graphix card, then you have to remove this HDMI card. There is a board from MSI which has HDMI integrated but that one do not have DVI then. So the best choice should be 690G mobo from Biostar or Gigabyte. Biostar board has HDMI integrated as well as DVI. These all board are mATX execpt the gigabyte.

Consider 17" wide TFT from Viewsonic. 2.1 speakers wont do any justice to the system. Go for atleast 5.1 setup from Atris [kunhar Peripherals]. this should cost you arround 7K. SMPS you go for VIP powesafe and 500 watt should be sufficient. Rest everything looks OK

Last edited:

cynosure

UbuntuUser
^^
Biostar mobo is nice and cheap but I read its review over the net in here and its performance is not very good when it comes to anything (games, softwares etc.) And since I am making a gaming rig so this thing matters a lot.

You said Gigabyte, I checked it and its way better than Biostar:)

I dont think I will need HDMI coz I wont be connecting my PC to any TV or anything like that.

And you said VDU from Viewsonic; is that better???

And I think I'll be buying a good DX10 card (I am in love with 8800GT 640MB:D:D:) so thats why I was planning for a bigger PSU.

amd x2 5600 will also be a great buy but do u have ne idea abt the prices,availability here in india and also does it come with 65nm tdp?
Few days back the price on itwares was 9K but somehow they have increased the price to 11.5K. but this should be available for 9K.
This is available at any big computer shop or any big comp market.
AFAIK 5600+ has 90nm arch.

Last edited:

premsharma

In the zone
See there are plenty of review sites, you should not take them seriously. I can quote you few, who have rated biostar a very good board but not for overclocking. Its price is also very nice and it has both HDMI & DVI. For a person like me who is looking for HDMI & DVI both integrated, have no other choice than Biostar presently. My another requirement is that I want ATX board which only Gigabyte has right now. Anyhow I don't like that gigabyte mobo look. So waiting for ATX mobo from MSI, Biostar or Asus. Considering these all points along with cost, it said it is best. If you are not intrested in HDMI, then Asus board would be best or MSI, Gigabyte etc. Even Jetway has 690G board, which merely costs 3600. Though Gigabyte board is ATX but I am not sure whether it has both DVI & HDMI and I don't know its cost either. It should also be a good board at par with Asus & MSI for costing purpose.

Yes, ofcourse ViewSonic TFTs are superior to others and very attractive prices. ViewSonic is fisrt to launch wide model in 17" TFT, which should be arround 8k+

cynosure

UbuntuUser
Gigabyte wont cost more than 6K thats for sure. And I have to buy a comp next month so I will be going for some rounds of Nehru Place after the 30th and then only I will be getting a knowhow bout the prices.

Till next month, ATX mobos of other companies wont be launched so I think I will have to buy Gigabyte only.:) And this mobo offers superb overclocking (way better than Biostar like you said) but thing is AMD procs dont support a good OC:(

I am confused bout going for Viewsonic or Benq as both of them have a good monitor range. A big NO NO to widescreens.

Thanks anyways dude!

rahul30

Techzilla!
premsharma said:
See there are plenty of review sites, you should not take them seriously. I can quote you few, who have rated biostar a very good board but not for overclocking. Its price is also very nice and it has both HDMI & DVI. For a person like me who is looking for HDMI & DVI both integrated, have no other choice than Biostar presently. My another requirement is that I want ATX board which only Gigabyte has right now. Anyhow I don't like that gigabyte mobo look. So waiting for ATX mobo from MSI, Biostar or Asus. Considering these all points along with cost, it said it is best. If you are not intrested in HDMI, then Asus board would be best or MSI, Gigabyte etc. Even Jetway has 690G board, which merely costs 3600. Though Gigabyte board is ATX but I am not sure whether it has both DVI & HDMI and I don't know its cost either. It should also be a good board at par with Asus & MSI for costing purpose.

Yes, ofcourse ViewSonic TFTs are superior to others and very attractive prices. ViewSonic is fisrt to launch wide model in 17" TFT, which should be arround 8k+

brother ur absolutely correct about the biostar motherboard...and majority of dealers in kolkata do not sell biostar ...i asked my dealer abt that biostar board...and he told him that he would provide from the distributor but he wont take any responsibility for the same as there is no proper channet of service of biostar boards atleast in kolkata...he also told me that in a way all the motherboard companies service is pathetic..still atleast from his side he would be able to do something in case a problem arised because other motherboards companies like asus msi etc have their offices set up properly in india and so its atleast better chance than biostar board...so be sure about the after sales service and then go for your buy!

OP
S

sagsall4u

Journeyman
hey guys . ty for ur response . sorry cudn't reply, my really old pc conked off.
I havent included a gfx card coz i have to buy it with my own money later as my parents dont know that i'm a gamer.
The amd X2 5000 is directly a adversary to the intel C2D E6400 , the amd gives better performance in gaming that the C2D. (source xbitlabs)
As i said i quoted the prices from theitwares.com , the prices sum of you have given is definitely cheaper which i will look into when i actually go buy the rig.

And yeah, you guys should really go for asus or gigabyte instead of the new brands (wud u buy a tech-com speaker instead of altec lansing )
and what about Dx10 gfx cards . can sum1 give a clue bout which one has been released for what price.

Last edited:

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE
^^^Well the answer is NVIDIA still got the LEAD.The card HD2900XT is targeted to kill the 640 MB 8800GTS but its costlier than 8800 GTS(640MB) & more power hungry.Even the 8800 GTX recommended PSU is 425watt but the min. required PSU for HD2900XT is 550 watt.There was the same story with 7900GTX & X1900XTX.No doubt that 1900XTX wins but 7900GTX lags with negligible score,but 7900GTX takes 78watts & X1900XTX sucks 130Watts.Thats the main difference.
The all new HD2900XT is really good but it sucks more power than 8800 ULTRA.
& besides this nVidia RULES!!!!
....because i also am a nVidian!

Also the 5000+ might be better than E6400 but the C2Duo is a better overclocker with the stock cooling because of 45nm fab.So its better to get a E6320 or E6420(4MB L2 Cache) rather than 5000+ or a E6400.

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
keith_j_snyder2 said:
^^^Well the answer is NVIDIA still got the LEAD.The card HD2900XT is targeted to kill the 640 MB 8800GTS but its costlier than 8800 GTS(640MB) & more power hungry.Even the 8800 GTX recommended PSU is 425watt but the min. required PSU for HD2900XT is 550 watt.There was the same story with 7900GTX & X1900XTX.No doubt that 1900XTX wins but 7900GTX lags with negligible score,but 7900GTX takes 78watts & X1900XTX sucks 130Watts.Thats the main difference.
The all new HD2900XT is really good but it sucks more power than 8800 ULTRA.
& besides this nVidia RULES!!!!
....because i also am a nVidian!

Also the 5000+ might be better than E6400 but the C2Duo is a better overclocker with the stock cooling because of 45nm fab.So its better to get a E6320 or E6420(4MB L2 Cache) rather than 5000+ or a E6400.

c2duo is 65nm not 45....

cynosure

UbuntuUser
But 2900XT is HD ready. So you dont need to buy another HDMI card. With nVidias you will have to buy that.

And besides that, the 2900XT is better than 8800GTS (and even quite a comparision to GTX) when it comes to high res. +AA +blah blah coz it has 512bit mem interface but even in 8800GTX its 384bit!!

Last edited:

ssk_the_gr8

sagsall4u said:
hey guys . comment on this.

procc - amd 5000+ - 8000
mobo - Asus M2A-VM - 5100
Ram - kingston/transcend 1gb @ 667mhz - 2100
Hdisk - seagate / hitachi sata 2 160gb - 2500
DVD rw- Liteon LH20A1P - 1800
Monitor - viewsonic 17" LCD - 8800
cabinet + smps - any1 - 2000
speakers - APT 3 - 2800
TOTAL -- 36 grand..(prices sourced from theitwares.com )
Pls give your suggestions and comments on d abv rig.

for the 17" lcd......u should go for benq fp 71g+ it is much better ..check out the latest digit mag...
mobo...should be 690g based for best performance...& go for 2 gb memory if u can it really helps in speedin up everythin........otherwise..u have made a good choice...go with this rig.....u chose a gr8 processor.. :)..make sure u get the 65 nm one...& what abt the graphics card?...r u going to use on board

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE
ssk429 said:
c2duo is 65nm not 45....

Sorry My Bad!

cynosure said:
But 2900XT is HD ready. So you dont need to buy another HDMI card. With nVidias you will have to buy that.

And besides that, the 2900XT is better than 8800GTS (and even quite a comparision to GTX) when it comes to high res. +AA +blah blah coz it has 512bit mem interface but even in 8800GTX its 384bit!!

Yeah u are right.The 7600 GT is 128bit & my 6800 GS is 256bit,but still 7600GT performs better.The 8800GTS is better than 2900XT because of less power consumption and with overall performance(8800 GTS is better).Also the 2900XT is costlier than 8800GTS.

Last edited:
OP
S

sagsall4u

Journeyman
ssk429 said:
for the 17" lcd......u should go for benq fp 71g+ it is much better ..check out the latest digit mag...
mobo...should be 690g based for best performance...& go for 2 gb memory if u can it really helps in speedin up everythin........otherwise..u have made a good choice...go with this rig.....u chose a gr8 processor.. :)..make sure u get the 65 nm one...& what abt the graphics card?...r u going to use on board

i have been using viewsonic for gaming so i never looked at others. does the benq offer gaming quality .
the M2A-VM is 690g based . and i'll think bout the ram
how do i confirm if the procc i buy is 65nm one (it will be on the spec list right?)
and the gfx card will be the 8600gt or and equlvalent ATI.(DX10 of course)
thanks 4 ur response

ssk_the_gr8

amd athlon 64 5000+ it is 65nm
to confirm check that its box number is ADO5000DDBOX or ADO5000IAA5DD

& benq offers gr8 gamin quality.....u can even check out the latest digit mag to confirm ...:D

& u could wait for the ati card.. as accordin to various hardware sites..it is supposed to be better than 8600gt

keith_j_snyder2

Rising ApocalypsE
ssk429 said:
^^ dude go check out all the reviewin websites...ati hd2900xt is better than 8800 gts 640 mb....

My dear friend..
as u are saying that the HD2900XT is better than 8800GTS,i also agreed then why not go for 8800 Ultra?
Its the best card available in the market and also 7950GX2,Its also 512Bit!
See all i was saying the X2900XT might be performing better but performance is not the only thing.
I was saying that when it comes to overall performance(including power consumption,pricing etc.) the 8800 GTS is a better buy.
So if u have enough money to spend for a bigger & costlier PSU+HUGE ELECTRICITY BILL,Then have fun dude!!
Please pay my electricity bill too!!!!:grin:

rahul30

Techzilla!
guyz earlier i had purchased amd x2 5200+ ...i had paid by cheque so the dealer would deliver me as the cheque was cleared...meanwhile i told him that i will buy x2 5200 subject to 65w tdp and not 89w tdp...but after 2 days the dealer told me that 89w models were available and the 65w model would be available not before a week...so i went ahead with amd x2 4800 for rs. 6300 ...and guyz i am not repenting at all ...believe me i saved 2000 bucks...this processor is absolutely fast and wonderful and u wont even feel the difference between this and E6400 (my cuz has it) coz i worked on both...soo i feel the benchmarks we find on the different websites are for the extreme end and daily consumers like us wont feel any difference...more importantly one of my friends has got E6600 and still took 20-25 mins to install windows xp and so did i with my amd x2 4800...this doesnt prove that amd x2 4800 is better but guyz we should be sensible ...coz in day to day applications and moderate gaming u wont feel the diff between processors...its only when ur ecnoding or ur into heavy programming u will find the real difference...so guyz just buying the so called better processors for daily computing and games should reconsider and instead spend the money on a better gpu or ram coz thats where the real difference lies..trust me guyz u wont repent! my rig is an average but its more than sufficient for daily use!

my rig:
1)amd x2 4800+ (runs at 29 degree at idle and under load arnd 36 degrees max)
2)asus m2a-vm (i played fifa 07 at full settings at 1024 res and the game was fine)
3)1gb kingston 667 ddr2 ram (will get 1gb more wen i buy gpu within 2 months)
4)160 gb sata2 hitachi
5) navtech cabinet with 500w smps

things i already have:
17" samsung 740n lcd
intex 4+1 speakers
logitech keyboard+microsoft mouse
hp 1020 laserjet
tvs ups
sony dvd writer

i got all the above for abt rs.17500/- and my system is like wow..ne1 with any queries...feel free to ask

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom