New AMD Processors - ATHLON II coming!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Initially I was considering this configuration

AMD 720 BE
Jetway HA 07 Ultra
2*2 GB DDR2 800 MHz RAM
4870 or GTX 260
2*250 GB in RAID 0 (Already have one 250 GB HDD will add another and RAID em)

But this thread diverted my mind from the Phenom II 720 BE
ROFL :lol:
Then stick to 720BE.

And BTW, if gaming is your sole activity, then I suggest waiting.

I and comp@ddict need some guy's company for waiting for Athlon II :D

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
I can wait... i have 8th sem exams in June.. so will buy the rig in July...

No.. gaming is not my sole activity.. i do a lot of work on Linux.. so compatibility was a issue back when I was learning Linux.. not now.. i can make stuff work.. but still ACPI and other things needs to be supported under Linux..

Also.. i transcode videos a lot.. so the graphics card needs to be fast.. currently my 8600 GT takes around 7 mins to convert a 22 min episode of The Big Bang Theory :D for iPod touch.. i want to bring that barrier under 2-3 mins..

I can wait... i have 8th sem exams in June.. so will buy the rig in July...

Great :D

I have 1st sem entry in June. So will buy rig in june-july.

No.. gaming is not my sole activity.. i do a lot of work on Linux.. so compatibility was a issue back when I was learning Linux.. not now.. i can make stuff work.. but still ACPI and other things needs to be supported under Linux..

More reason to either wait or go AMD. AMD southbridges have some weird issues which have been widely discussed in phoronix.com.

And BTW, for the same reason, i.e, linux related stuff like excessive compiling, I am waiting for an Athlon II X4 Quad Core. I want maximum threads/cores for minimum money.

Also.. i transcode videos a lot.. so the graphics card needs to be fast.. currently my 8600 GT takes around 7 mins to convert a 22 min episode of The Big Bang Theory :D for iPod touch.. i want to bring that barrier under 2-3 mins..

More reason to get GTX 260 Core 216.

If you had gone for HD4770 CF, performance may not have been as good because dual GPU assisted encoding sucks.

And nVidia has better Linux support than ATI though ATI is catching up fast in Gaming, it still has issues elsewhere. Like video acceleration.

OP
comp@ddict

comp@ddict

EXIT: DATA Junkyard
I and comp@ddict need some guy's company for waiting for Athlon II
LOL yes

And nVidia has better Linux support than ATI though ATI is catching up fast in Gaming, it still has issues elsewhere. Like video acceleration.
this one's true, but not entirely.

check techpowerup and the HD4770 on linux review link.

this one's true, but not entirely.

check techpowerup and the HD4770 on linux review link.
The only site which provides REAL linux reviews of hardware is phoronix.com and they still rate AMD as bad in linux support.

Though gaming is awesome in AMD by now, compared to nVidia, video acceleration, video encoding, XGL (graphics card based desktop rendering), and 2D graphics are all better done by nVidia.

And the only way this will be fixed is by future kernel upgrades which are going to (hopefully) have on-the-fly video device switching and SLi/CF like usage of various video devices together for different purposes at same time. This technology is possible, but needs lots of working to be implemented. Once its done, onboard GPU can decode video at the same time while main GPU is busy running a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom