networking troubles

Status
Not open for further replies.

kspyathi

Right off the assembly line
I have a machine with intel P42.7Ghz, 256 MB DDR Ram Dual channel. I have onboard Intel Pro/1000 CT network card. the mother board is ASUS p4p800-vm with 80 GB HDD with WIn XP updated to the recent updates. I have connected the machine to local LAN in workgroup mode with IP address 10.12.67.8 subnet mask 255.255.255.224. I am able to access all the machines in my network through the above machine but this machine is not available in the other machines. Can any-one help me troubleshoot the network problem i am facing. I have connected the machine through a 10MBPS network hub, it conets to the internet through a reseidential gateway on my netowrk. I am able to access internet through the machine. but the machine cannot be accessed on local lan within the same subnet. it is shown on the other machines , but is not pingable. when i try to access it on other machines i get the message network path not found.

sakumar79

Technomancer
Have you enabled sharing files on the computer? If yes, have you assigned any folder to be shared? Also, have you enabled guest access? If you dont want to enable guest access, you need to have users created for the various user IDs in the network...

These are just out of the top of my head... If none work, post again and I will think more about it.

Arun

OP
K

kspyathi

Thank you sakumar79 for your reply. I have enabled full sharing on the all the drives itself because my users needs all the access. I have installed the microsoft firewall in the machine. I have enabled my subnet which is allowed to pass through firewall for access. I have installed trend micro officescan client on the machine. I have enabled guest access also. I have accounts for all the users on my network on the particular machine. But still i am unable to access it on the network. I am able see the machine in the network nieghbourhood but when i click it, i get the message network path not found.

sakumar79

Technomancer
Try a software called PC-Mac-Net FileShare Lite at *www.lavasoftware.com/downloads.html#FileShare and see if you can transfer files using it (It is a workaround but atleast files are getting transferred).

Also, try to access computer by IP address (run \\10.12.67.8 ) and see if you can access the computer

Arun

OP
K

kspyathi

I have already tried the above solutions but nothing works. I have reinstalled the OS and everything but the smae problem persists.

djmykey

Let the music play.....
it is shown on the other machines , but is not pingable.

Dood its ur firewall. Disable it and then try.

sakumar79 you were awesome in trying to help kspyathi out but just keep in mind next time read the whole post carefully and then post maybe it might not take u somany posts to rectufy the error :)

sakumar79

Technomancer
@djmykey, my personal experience is that blaming the firewall immediately is making a snap judgement.... My dad has an office with about 10 computers on LAN. Some of the problems we have faced in networking has to be seen to be believed... Firewall is the possible software cause, but some config problems, hardware problems also could have caused it...

For instance, in my dad's office, two or three computers were unable to access one computer named C6, not even pinging it. Then, i changed it to access its IP and it worked. With Windows, you never can tell...

Arun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom