ratzee199

Journeyman
Hi,

Please help me to choose a netbook within 15K - 20K budget. The main purpose to buy:

Internet browsing
Working with Word/Excel/Powerpoint
Listening to Music
Watching Movies

No hardcore stuffs like gaming/photo editing/image processing/audio-video editing
I have seen few ACER ASPIRE ONE NETBOOK within this range. Are they good?

Jay

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Recommend you to get one with a IGP(not HD 3000)
Samsung RV513-A02IN @Rs.20,700(appx)
Lenovo X Series X120E @Rs.19000(appx)

Both have a AMD APU and a Radeon 6310M. Ideal for movie watchig :wink:

OP
ratzee199

ratzee199

Journeyman
Recommend you to get one with a IGP(not HD 3000)
Samsung RV513-A02IN @Rs.20,700(appx)
Lenovo X Series X120E @Rs.19000(appx)

Both have a AMD APU and a Radeon 6310M. Ideal for movie watchig :wink:

Thanks for the reply. I have seen the specs of both of them and I am good with it. I have just one small question: How good is the AMD APU? I have never used AMD so far. Please help.

kbar1

Journeyman
Thanks for the reply. I have seen the specs of both of them and I am good with it. I have just one small question: How good is the AMD APU? I have never used AMD so far. Please help.

The AMD APUs will do just fine for all of your mentioned tasks. I say take the above mentioned Samsung notebook if size is not a concern. If you absolutely need a 11 inch netbook, then get the Acer Aspire One.

The good thing about APUs is that thanks to AMD's expertise in graphics (via ATI), even these netbooks have fairly decent graphics capabilities. They're way better than Intel Atoms for this reason. I own (well, kinda) an Acer Aspire One and have played HD videos. They play just fine, with no stuttering of any kind. CPU usage during this is 20-30%. In contrast, Atom can barely play 720p videos, and 1080p is out of the question. You just have to use a player that supports GPU accelerated video decoding. I recommend Media Player Classic Home Cinema: [sourceforge.net].

One more thing: The Aspire One, when I got it, felt sluggish. Initially I thought the 1 GHz processor was the reason. After all, there are cell phones with faster CPU's than that. But then I found out that background processes were to blame, most were preinstalled bloatware. Now running just fine, after a OS reinstall.

Last edited:

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends

They are good. Performance is lot better than Intel Atom in the mentioned tasks. Have a look at this - Benchmarking and Performance : Intel Atom vs AMD Brazos - Lord of the Netbooks - HardwareZone.com

Although the laptops I mentioned has (slightly)better GPU than the test GPU but I think you should get the idea about better performance :wink:

OP
ratzee199

ratzee199

Journeyman
Thanks everyone...
I am thinking of purchase any one of this:
Lenovo X Series X120E/ Athlon Dual Core / 320 GB / 2 GB DDR3
Asus 1215B-SIV007W Netbook
Asus X53U-SX181D/ Brazos Dual Core/ 2 GB/ 320 GB/ DOS
Acer Aspire One 722 Netbook

What do you think ?...which one is the best in this lot?

techiemaharaj

--> Techie - Maharaj
Get one with DOS...usually the ones with OS are costly...get with DOS and use something like Joli cloud, Ubuntu...You can to everything in Ubuntu !!

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
Brazos Dual core (1Ghz C50) is faster than Atom Dual core.

this one: Lenovo X120E. They wrongly labelled it as Athlon Dual Core.

check review here: Lenovo ThinkPad X130e. this is just an updated version with faster processor & OS.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
why not hd 3000.
what wd u suggest if mine budget is 25 k for netbook

The AMD Brazos based chips just outperform the Intel HD 3000.
Have a look at these links:

AnandTech - The Brazos Review: AMD's E-350 Supplants ION for mini-ITX

Intel HD Graphics Vs Radeon HD 6320 | Compare Processors

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ but in case of OP's case it doesn't matter. Brazos is plain slow to utilize that speed. Before the processor can bottleneck the GPU, frames drop into no-game-zone.

Only strength of Brazos is it offers 7hr+ battery life in most netbooks with 6cell battery. Though Core i3s too offer good battery life but the build quality takes a hit at low price level.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
at 22k this one is a nice laptop. The Thinkpad if for those who wants matte display whereas Samsung is more like a style statement with glossy display and exterior (fingerprint magnet). Both are ok and depends on who prefers what.

Top Bottom