Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
This game, it's too good. Check out what words Wired just used to praise this

The Year's Best Multiplayer Shooter Is a Mod for the 10-Year-Old Counter-Strike | Game|Life | WIRED

Titanfall who? The best multiplayer shooter of the year so far is a mod for a 10-year-old game, and it’s free. The game is called NeoTokyo, a cyberpunk tactical multiplayer shooter that feels a lot like Ghost in the Shell crossed with Counter-Strike.

Originally launched as a standalone mod in 2009, NeoTokyo has been a critical darling and community favorite ever since. The only issue has been its lack of players, but that’s changed now: On July 4, NeoTokyo officially launched on the digital distribution service Steam, making it easily accessible to a wide new swath of players.

NeoTokyo is built on Valve’s Source engine, the same as CounterStrike: Global Offensive and Half-Life 2, and has many similar gameplay features. Its primary mode is a capture-the-flag variant in which two teams try to obtain and return a vital piece of data to their bases.

NeoTokyo rewards players for good performance. Instead of receiving money to buy better gear, players earn experience points for completing objectives, killing enemy players, or staying alive until the end of the round. Leveling up unlocks new weapons and abilities, but these stats are reset at the end of the match, putting everyone on equal footing when the next one starts.

A key difference from Counter-Strike is NeoTokyo’s class system. Players can choose one of three unit types—Recon, Assault, and Support—each with their own stats, weapon loadouts and abilities. Each class has a unique vision power, such as night vision or motion sensing. Recon and Assault also have an active camouflage that grants temporary invisibility. In many ways, this makes NeoTokyo like a fusion of Team Fortress 2′s class-based combat with the tactical precision of Counter-Strike.

Jumping into a match, I was a bit overwhelmed at first by players who had been at the game longer. This was especially so since NeoTokyo doesn’t have a minimap or radar, and doesn’t show you the direction of incoming damage.

Once my team started chatting with each other, eventually plugging in microphones and verbally coordinating our strategy, we easily pulled ahead. I see this as an example of NeoTokyo’s emphasis on precise, tactical play. If a bunch of scrubs can start winning after an hour or so working together, I can only imagine how rewarding it might be in the hands of seasoned pros.

So who is playing

Features
-Squad based tactical shooting
-Rewards for better playing and gear and weapons upgrade system
-All gear and weapon upgrades reset after a match gets over, which is usually about 7 rounds
-Cyburpunk setting in future Japan, so visuals are a mix of Blade Runner + Akira + Total Recall + Animatrix
-There is in-built voice chatting in the game
-The flag in capture the flag mode is a sex robot
-Free to Play, not pay 2 win. there is no in persistent game currency, no premium items, and no consumables.
-Futuristic abilities and vision modes
-Multiplayer servers are live and thriving, there are games throughout the day

- - - Updated - - -

Screens

*i.imgur.com/k8Po6nX.jpg
*i.imgur.com/sTfaIAt.jpg
*i.imgur.com/pbOdtxe.jpg
*i.imgur.com/ghQk8eN.jpg

SunE

Professional Newbie
I'll download it today. If a few of us have it let's play this instead of Grid tonight?

OP
Anorion

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
Oh... prefer to play BF3 or Grid, but if you do get it, we can play some rounds late night? There are some good servers at that time, where people actually talk and don't just play silently (which is sure way to lose)
anyway, think it will take some time for people to download

and one more thing, forgot to mention

voice chat is crucial to gameplay in this title, but it's built right into the game, so no need for another client for voice chat. Even if you don't have mike, then you can hear people. So if people are silent, you either have to start talking and get everyone to speak up, or you have to switch teams or change server to find good games.

SunE

Professional Newbie
OK. In that case I'll download it on my laptop. Will most def be happy to play grid, bf3 or bf4.

- - - Updated - - -

I downloaded and played a round. Couldn't understand anything. [MENTION=56202]Anorion[/MENTION] hope you can guide us noobs :p

OP
Anorion

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
I just started playing too, usually just follow instructions.
flanking is always a great idea, even with 2-3 people, you can win rounds

OP
Anorion

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
guys, you all missed this
there was a surge in activity when it re-released on steam, but now all the servers are dead

it was one of the most refined tactical team based shooters I have ever experienced. Probably only GRP came close to how much team based play and communication were important between a win and loss. The difference between win and loss was not your accuracy or your gear, but how much you talked.

Top Bottom