Nehru Place among world's top 30 notorious IT markets: Report

bibinjohn

Journeyman
WASHINGTON: Indian capital's famous Nehru Place market has been placed among the top 30 notorious IT markets of the world that deal in goods and services infringing on intellectual property rights, an official US report has said.

"Nehru Place is reportedly one of the many markets in major cities throughout India that are known for dealing in large volumes of pirated software, pirated optical media containing movies and music, and counterfeit goods," said the report released by the US Trade Representatives (USTR).

Among other internet and physical markets that exemplify marketplaces that deal in infringing goods and services, facilitating and sustaining global piracy and counterfeiting include Urdu Bazaars in Karachi and Lahore.

However, China has the largest number of notorious markets listed in the report.

Prominent among them are Buynow PC Malls, which operates 22 stores across China and is known for selling computers with illegal operating system software and other unlawfully pre-installed software; Fu'an footwear and accessory market in Putian, Luohu Commercial Center in Shenzhen; Silk market in Beijing; and small commodities markets in Yiwu.

"Piracy and counterfeiting, including online sales of pirated and counterfeit goods, is a problem that hurts the US economy, harms some of this nation's most creative and innovative entrepreneurs and companies and threatens jobs for significant numbers of middle-class American workers," USTR Ron Kirk said.

"We highlight the notorious markets that have a negative impact on legitimate businesses and industries of all sizes that rely on intellectual property to protect their goods and services," he said.

Kirk also applaud the actions that some markets have taken to begin ridding their virtual and physical marketplaces of pirated and counterfeit goods, as well as enforcement actions taken by certain governments that have resulted in the shutdown of several other markets.

"It is through both voluntary and government actions that we will continue to improve the landscape for IPR owners and companies and their workers here at home that rely on IPR protection," he said.

USTR said Chinese site Taobao, has worked with rights holders to significantly decrease the listing of infringing products for sale through its website, and has committed to continue working to streamline its complaint procedures to further reduce listings of counterfeit products.

Similarly, Chinese website Sogou has been removed from the current list based on reports that it has also made notable efforts to work with rights holders to address the availability of infringing content on its site.

In addition, the Philippine Government has taken significant enforcement actions at the Quiapo Shopping District, which has reduced the number of counterfeit and pirated goods available for sale in this marketplace.

USTR has been identifying notorious markets since 2006.

Source : Times of India - Nehru Place among world's top 30 notorious IT markets: Report - The Times of India

Kirtu Jindal

Broken In
Well, I have been there a few times - and most of its "reputation" is well deserved. However, almost all IT centric markets in India - for example, the one in Secunderabad (near Hyderabad), or the one in Lalbagh in Lucknow - are all similar to Nehru Place - only difference is - Nehru Place is much, much bigger. So, the problem is much more visible there. Also, most IT companies have their "official" showrooms there too - the market is too important to simply ignore.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
WASHINGTON: Indian capital's famous Nehru Place market has been placed among the top 30 notorious IT markets of the world that deal in goods and services infringing on intellectual property rights, an official US report has said.

"Nehru Place is reportedly one of the many markets in major cities throughout India that are known for dealing in large volumes of pirated software, pirated optical media containing movies and music, and counterfeit goods," said the report released by the US Trade Representatives (USTR).

Among other internet and physical markets that exemplify marketplaces that deal in infringing goods and services, facilitating and sustaining global piracy and counterfeiting include Urdu Bazaars in Karachi and Lahore.

However, China has the largest number of notorious markets listed in the report.

Prominent among them are Buynow PC Malls, which operates 22 stores across China and is known for selling computers with illegal operating system software and other unlawfully pre-installed software; Fu'an footwear and accessory market in Putian, Luohu Commercial Center in Shenzhen; Silk market in Beijing; and small commodities markets in Yiwu.

"Piracy and counterfeiting, including online sales of pirated and counterfeit goods, is a problem that hurts the US economy, harms some of this nation's most creative and innovative entrepreneurs and companies and threatens jobs for significant numbers of middle-class American workers," USTR Ron Kirk said.

"We highlight the notorious markets that have a negative impact on legitimate businesses and industries of all sizes that rely on intellectual property to protect their goods and services," he said.

Kirk also applaud the actions that some markets have taken to begin ridding their virtual and physical marketplaces of pirated and counterfeit goods, as well as enforcement actions taken by certain governments that have resulted in the shutdown of several other markets.

"It is through both voluntary and government actions that we will continue to improve the landscape for IPR owners and companies and their workers here at home that rely on IPR protection," he said.

USTR said Chinese site Taobao, has worked with rights holders to significantly decrease the listing of infringing products for sale through its website, and has committed to continue working to streamline its complaint procedures to further reduce listings of counterfeit products.

Similarly, Chinese website Sogou has been removed from the current list based on reports that it has also made notable efforts to work with rights holders to address the availability of infringing content on its site.

In addition, the Philippine Government has taken significant enforcement actions at the Quiapo Shopping District, which has reduced the number of counterfeit and pirated goods available for sale in this marketplace.

USTR has been identifying notorious markets since 2006.

Source : Times of India - Nehru Place among world's top 30 notorious IT markets: Report - The Times of India

i live in delhi, i buy pirated software. SO SUE ME!

till you make crap software and sell it for exorbitant prices ill pirate.

sharang_3

Journeyman

that is just a lame excuse ur making to justify pirating stuff..if the software is so crap why use it all..no one's asking you to use it anyway..n that's not just you its a problem with this entire country..we buy expensive hardware then believe that softwares somehow become our right and we can have them for free..ive seen friends who consider me an idiot for buying original games..i wish more people understood the concept of supporting developers..

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
that is just a lame excuse ur making to justify pirating stuff..if the software is so crap why use it all..no one's asking you to use it anyway..n that's not just you its a problem with this entire country..we buy expensive hardware then believe that softwares somehow become our right and we can have them for free..ive seen friends who consider me an idiot for buying original games..i wish more people understood the concept of supporting developers..

its crap, but i cant make do without it. And i dont consider anyone an idiot who pays for software its just depends upon your conscience i guess...? i wont feel bad pirating software... you may. Good for you. atleast when i run out of money i wont feel guilty about pirating. :D

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
+10000000000000000000000000000
its crap, but i cant make do without it. And i dont consider anyone an idiot who pays for software its just depends upon your conscience i guess...? i wont feel bad pirating software... you may. Good for you. atleast when i run out of money i wont feel guilty about pirating.
1.are the mods sleeping,or in cryo-stasis?
2.exorbitant prices :rofl: too expensive? dont buy or "get". simple
can't do without it? :rolleyes: e.g people pirate MS OFFICE and say there is "no alternative",even if they know about OpenOffice. One more Example : people pirate a Rs299 game and say its too "expensive" if the game sells for rs 50 they will want it for rs 20
so the point is
YOU ARE A SHAMELESS THIEF
Not like the other thiefs here who have atleast some amount of shame

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
+10000000000000000000000000000

1.are the mods sleeping,or in cryo-stasis?
2.exorbitant prices :rofl: too expensive? dont buy or "get". simple
can't do without it? :rolleyes: e.g people pirate MS OFFICE and say there is "no alternative",even if they know about OpenOffice. One more Example : people pirate a Rs299 game and say its too "expensive" if the game sells for rs 50 they will want it for rs 20
so the point is
YOU ARE A SHAMELESS THIEF
Not like the other thiefs here who have atleast some amount of shame

thanks for the "SHAME" tag. i pirate software... SO as i SAID SUE ME

and no if you so called "white knights" ever pirate software, you will feel guilty. I am not ashamed of being a pirate. So suck it.

Call the mods, what are they going to do? Close the thread? I have never violated a single forum rule.

And I probably have much more legal media than many people here..i am not stingy and unlikeyour Indian mentality if I feel it's worth it I pay for it..and not lash out at others because they pirate.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
^^you violated rules by proclaiming yourself as a proud pirate.

Just like any other job, software development is. They too are trying to feed their family.

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
thanks for the "SHAME" tag. i pirate software... SO as i SAID SUE ME

Call the mods, what are they going to do? Close the thread? I have never violated a single forum rule.

This forum is anti piracy. By claiming that you're a proud pirate you are breaking the rules. Abide by the rules or post this sh!t someplace else.

TheLetterD

Will Power
If this wasnt India somebody wouldve probably sued him. Or if he had mentioned the software hes pirating the company wouldve probably sent threat-mails to him lol.

People think that they are stealing from Super Rich MultiNational Company CEOs, but you are not. The revenue loss affects the poor hardworking software developer's salary, not the CEOs, or the presidents etc.

CommanderShawnzer

Steam High Templar
unlike your Indian mentality if I feel it's worth it I pay for it
reported
look who's talking :lol:
and if you feel its not "worth". it still lies in your computer and you still use the Software/game
basically all your dialogues are just paltry efforts at defending your vice
if you were in a country whose lawmakers are not illiterate fossils.a bunch of cyber security cops would've raided your home,seize your HDD and produce you in court
The revenue loss affects the poor hardworking software developer's salary, not the CEOs, or the presidents etc.
+1,Those are the people that are HIT because of people like PirateGuy
and in india specifically the employees of the distributors recieve low salary

freshseasons

King of my own Castle

Even an A Grade idiot would have iota of shame to agree that he is Pirating because he doesn't have money to use the wonderful software but he will risk his morality just so he could use the software.

You have surpassed everything. If they make Crap software why even bother.There are tons of freewares out there. There's Linux.
No ! You wouldn't use them . You need justification to rob and steal them of their hard work.

And that's a very bad statement to make (SO SUE ME) What you should have written was SO HOLD ME GUILTY OR CHARGE ME. Sueing is done when you defame the concerned party which of course we are not.

But then i guess wrong choice of morality may sometimes take toll on Bad Choice of Words.

vipul619

whodiswhodat
People usually pirate because they can't afford it.
Then it becomes a habit.
They love their pirated collections as well, and among friends, find it awesome to tell that they can get anything at all for free (obviously soft copy, no hardwares :p).

But no reasons can justify that pirating isn't stealing!
They know it, and they accept it.
But tagging yourself as a proud pirate publicly on a forum that is against piracy is just unacceptable!

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Ignoring the shameless claims to pirate by NoasArcDevil, I would like to say a few things about Nehru Place where I went a couple of times in last month.

1. Its hard to find stuff:
I am surprized to find out that even in the most famous IT markets in our country, I can't find some hardware like a Seasonic or Antec PSUs.

2. Calls of "Software Lelo" still exists:
I used to witness guys screaming "Software lelo" all over NP around 2007. Yentivirus, Bindows, Fotoshop, just name it, and you shall get it. And it seems conditions have only gotten worse in last few years. Now they also say, "Check karwa ke denge!".
Being a software engg, watching such disrespect for Softwares pisses me off.

3. Unhygeinic environment:
The hygeine still sucks. From pan spits to garbage, it doesn't pleases the eye. With a market so renowed, I expected a bit better. But I guess I am just asking of too much.

4. Plus, I got my mobo E250N, Rs. 200 cheaper on FK. So much so for the biggest IT market! :p

Granted I got many components like a Dell IN2030 and APC 600 VA UPS on good price, but that was only because there was no major festival around, where they could hike up the price.

Top Bottom