Broken In
Here are my system specs:

AMD Athlon 3000 Venice
ASUS Star Ice Blue Heatsink
Winfast NF4XK8MC nForce 4 Motherboard
VIP 400W SMPS
MSI NVidia GeForce 6600GT
Transcend 512X2 400Mhz RAM

I have this in a COMPAQ MicroATX cabinet.
I have just upgraded it. Earlier I had a Pentium 4 1.6 Williamette.
My problem is that my CPU temperature goes to 49C on idle and 58C while playing Quake4.
Earlier my Cpu temp never exceeded 40C even under full load.
I have six fans all in all.
1 on Back (Exhaust) (1200 RPM) (96mm)
1 on Heatsink (1800 - 4800 RPM)
2 on SMPS
1 on Gfx Card
1 on nForce 4 Chipset (6700 RPM)

There is another problem related to it that when I was assembling the PC I saw that the heatsink wasn't covering the CPU completely no matter which way I used it. About 4mm of the surface is still not in contact. See the Diagram. I also use Coolermaster Thermal Compound.
Also when the cabinet is open the temperature comes down to 47C at idle and 56C at full load. But with an overclock of 150Mhz the temperature remains the same.
*img6.imageshack.us/img6/5661/cpu9mx.jpg

zuala77

Broken In
ok...set your system bios to load in optimal defaults...... and shut it down for 30 minutes and then power it up...... and one important thing is that......clean your motherboard thoroughtly because if dust accumulate..it gets hotter and hotter....take out your heatsink... and vacum it thoroughly... and try to cover your processor.....dont overclock for sometime.....my cpu temp is around 50..withy 2 fans and dont worry......if it is below amx 55..it is okay...
and let me know

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
I have also assembled and amd64 3000+ venice and when playing doom3 or quake4 it never goes beyond 46 degree and at idle it's around 35-38C. The gfx is leadtek 6600gt and it's temp goes upto 55 degrees not more. So 49C in idle is high, check ur setting for hsf and clean if required. Have one fan as intake in the front/bottom of ur cabinet. And clean ur stuff. These are some basic rules which I am sure u must be knowing.
And one more thing get a full sized ATX cabinet, for better ventilation. I know AMD runs cooler but still u have to provide good ventilation.
By the way congrats for new pc/upgrade.

OP
J

jagjitnatt

Broken In
Thank But???

Thanks but I think you forgot that the PC is two days old and a PC doesn't accumulate dust in 2 days. As for all the suggestions you gave, I think I am aware of all of them.

What I want to know is how to reduce the temps?
(a) by using another heatsink which has good contact with the CPU
OR
(b) by using some workarounds like putting some heat conducting metal piece in between the cpu and the heatsink base to increase cooling effect.
OR
(c) wait for the Cooler Master Thermal Compund to settle and solidify.

Need Expert Advices Only. Sorry for being rude but I think I need better professional answers.

Thanks Anyway :wink:

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
HSF not fitting properly on to the proc. is rare case. :( Try some other hsf like from ZALMAN etc.(just a suggestion). U can reduce temp by using HSF, water cooling or whatever it may be, but if it doesn't fit and doesn't make a good contact with proc. for heat conduction then it will not function properly. Anyways I was just trying to help u. Thanks.
No hard feeling, afterall we are here to help each other. :D

Kniwor

Learner
I see that u are not using the stock heatsink, if u have it kept around try the stock heatsink....

also, what thermal sompound are u using

TechGuru#1

In the zone
i want 2 use 3 cabby fans,but they r not enough power conectors.so how many "y"cable connectors can u use w/o stress to the psu?

countrock

Broken In
first of all.. u should get a full sized cabinet. and not a micro cab.
sramming all those compoents in a small cab is nto a gud idea, and on top of that u wanna overclock :lol: not a smart thing to do m8.

also use the stock heat sink if you are not gonna overclock it.
if u wanna overclock. get another heatsink wich fits properly.

OP
J

jagjitnatt

Broken In
Thanks!

Thanks guys for your help.

I think I cannot change my cabinet as I love it. Also I have a huge experience with Computers and can understand their problems easily. (Although I am just 15 now [will turn 16 this 23rd] I have been using computers since 7 years now)

The temperature is not due to small cabinet. The average temperature inside the cabinet just near the processor is around 29C. Now my Processor is overclocked to 2.25Ghz (1.8Ghz Stock). This is the max my motherboard allows. The temperature now is 47C idle and 53C load.
Without Overclock my CPU was 47C idle and 52C load.

Now I need a very crucial Answer:
Is the high temperature due to the new thermal compund which has not solidified yet?
How much time does it take it for the compound to solidify?

Also I don't have a stock heatsink. I ordered this processor from AMD Malaysia. Venice was not in market yet. It was a pre order. So I only got the Cpu and nothing else but at a price of Rs 6700 only in July. The earliest processors are the best overclockers and hence I am sure my CPU can hit 2.8Ghz easily on a meaty Motherboard.

Thanks in Advance.

Kniwor

Learner
Re: Thanks!

jagjitnatt said:
Thanks guys for your help.

I think I cannot change my cabinet as I love it. Also I have a huge experience with Computers and can understand their problems easily. (Although I am just 15 now [will turn 16 this 23rd] I have been using computers since 7 years now)

The temperature is not due to small cabinet. The average temperature inside the cabinet just near the processor is around 29C. Now my Processor is overclocked to 2.25Ghz (1.8Ghz Stock). This is the max my motherboard allows. The temperature now is 47C idle and 53C load.
Without Overclock my CPU was 47C idle and 52C load.

Now I need a very crucial Answer:
Is the high temperature due to the new thermal compund which has not solidified yet?
How much time does it take it for the compound to solidify?

Also I don't have a stock heatsink. I ordered this processor from AMD Malaysia. Venice was not in market yet. It was a pre order. So I only got the Cpu and nothing else but at a price of Rs 6700 only in July. The earliest processors are the best overclockers and hence I am sure my CPU can hit 2.8Ghz easily on a meaty Motherboard.

Thanks in Advance.

i dont think the soldification of thermal compound makes that much of a difference, also i dont think the cabinet can make all the difference, but u should get anoteher heatsink and see if that helps

OP
J

jagjitnatt

Broken In
Budget

Budget bahut tight hai

Got no money for anything now.
And nobody gets anything in Bhuj.
This place sucks. The Computer wallahs don't even know what a heatsink is.
I asked him if he had some heatsink and he pointed me towards an electronic shop and told me that heaters and blowers are available there. :x

Kniwor

Learner
lol.... then please go to an intel centre and get an intel heatsink pad and apply that, it will cost aroun 75/- and it will be a honeywell pad, see if this helps

mangemayur

Journeyman
hay if yr processor is under warranty then it will not cost a rupee.. .) they shiped me a one for free. but it takes around a week. 2 days for confirming the warranty and ur problem is genuine (no issues in that) and 3-4 days for shipping it comes from singapore to their mumbai office and then to u

and sir,, the heatsink compound affects a lot ... i had seen some review which they conduct with the heatsink paste u get with the heatsink and special compund like artick silver 5

TechGuru#1

In the zone
My CPU Temp is abt 30 Idle & 35-38 at Max load
Also my system temp is abt 30-34 at avg
Is that Normal ?
Got a 3500+ with 6800gs & 1(intake)+1(exhaust) 40 mm cabby fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom