rahul_brian

Right off the assembly line
H! guys,
my config is: amd athlon 64 3000+
asus a8n vm(mthrbrd)
160gb Wd sata
250W smps
512ddr 400 dynet old + 256 ddr 400 + transend 512ddr400 old + 512 dynet 400 new

i was using xp before but nw i hv installed windows 7.
The problem is dat i was having a transend 512 ram wid d above rams but due to sm reason my system used to crash so i tried a few hardware changes and ended up removing d transend ram and after dat my system wrked fine so i thought my ram must be damaged nw as i have installed win 7 i needed more ram so i got a new 512ddr400 dynet yesterday and when i installed it my pc did nt boot just d fan was rotating i tried other slots bt it did nt boot i even tried just booting wid d new ram bt to no avail again whn i installed my old 512 dynet and 256 rams it started!
plz tell me guys wat to do i m thinking dat my old transend must have been wrking fine bt der might be sm other prblm. how do i get my new 512 dynet to wrk wid old 512 dynet and 256..

i wud appreaciate ur help.

pegasus

Journeyman
There is no guarantee that RAM sticks from differemt manufacturers and batches will work together and stable at that.
That's why it's always recommended to use a matched pair or buy them together.

Provided all sticks are working fine-
Please check the timings for each stick.
Try to boot up with the one with the slowest timings (highest number)
Manually set the RAM timings in BIOS to those of that stick.
Set Command rate at 2T (disable 1T or enable 2T or whatever the option is available) in BIOS.

And for starters, have you done a full CMOS reset before you tried?

OP
rahul_brian

rahul_brian

H!, thanks fr ur reply pegasus,

with sm R&D i came to d conclusion dat d ram was faulty and took it to the retailer who confirmed it and replaced it. nw my system is up and running at 1.25 gb ram bt i hv landed myself into another situation my old dynet 512 as i came to know nw was 2100 fsb 133mhz and 256 was 3200fsb 200 mhz and even d new 1 is 3200fsb 200 mhz and all d rams r running at d timings of d slower rams speed *img638.imageshack.us/img638/9900/256200mhz1.png
i am not getting d speed i thought i wud get if i upgraded with more 512mb
plz suggest smthng. i wud really apprieciate ur help, thanks.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^^
Man, I cannot understand a thing you wrote. Would love to reply. Sorry. Please do not use SMS / shortened lingo.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
seriously, can't understand a thing. What do you mean by 3200fsb 200Mhz RAM? Please write more clearly and use some punctuations. We don't know beforehand what you want to write, we need to understand it from your text. See this, 87 words without a single punctuation (along with SMS lingo), how are we supposed to read it?

with sm R&D i came to d conclusion dat d ram was faulty and took it to the retailer who confirmed it and replaced it. nw my system is up and running at 1.25 gb ram bt i hv landed myself into another situation my old dynet 512 as i came to know nw was 2100 fsb 133mhz and 256 was 3200fsb 200 mhz and even d new 1 is 3200fsb 200 mhz and all d rams r running at d timings of d slower rams speed

---------- Post added at 11:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

remove that PC2100 RAM and see if the remaining ones work at 400Mhz

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
^^ definitely it'll. if different speed rams used together, they work at the speed of the slowest ram in the group (as you can't simply push a ram work fast. not all rams will work at OC'd speed).

OP
rahul_brian

rahul_brian

^^
Man, I cannot understand a thing you wrote. Would love to reply. Sorry. Please do not use SMS / shortened lingo.

seriously, can't understand a thing. What do you mean by 3200fsb 200Mhz RAM? Please write more clearly and use some punctuations. We don't know beforehand what you want to write, we need to understand it from your text. See this, 87 words without a single punctuation (along with SMS lingo), how are we supposed to read it?

---------- Post added at 11:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:24 AM ----------

remove that PC2100 RAM and see if the remaining ones work at 400Mhz

thank you very much guys for replying,
and i AM really sorry guys, i have just got used to the sms lingo, i'll explain again in detail,

my config was:
and athlon64+ 3000
asus a8nvm(integrated nividia geforce 6100)
160gb sata
Rams: 512mb pc 2100 (133 mhz), 256mb pc3200 (200mhz)

in my first post i had bought a new ram to upgrade my system, when i had installed it, my pc did not boot. the next day i went to the retailer and got the ram replaced, and my pc is running now. but i got into another problem as i did not know my old rams speed, i had bought a new 512mb ram with the speed of pc3200 200 mhz and now my pc is running at the speed of 133 mhz as that is the speed of the older ram, as you can see in the CPUz images, 2 rams have the speed of 200mhz and 1 has 133 mhz. so my question is whether i can overclock my old ram?

any other advice would also be appriciated...

thanks

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
you can but but 200Mhz from 133Mhz. thats going to be some serious OC. your ram will need more voltage & super cooling. not worth it. also the risk is high. avoid.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Better remove the old RAM. What I am saying is, the RAM which is running at 133Mhz is PC2100, so it should actually be running at 266Mhz and not 133. the rest are PC3200 i.e. 400Mhz. So remove the PC2100 RAM and see if the remaining are running at 200Mhz or 400Mhz.

OP
rahul_brian

rahul_brian

thanks for replying guys:smile:
you can but but 200Mhz from 133Mhz. thats going to be some serious OC. your ram will need more voltage & super cooling. not worth it. also the risk is high. avoid.

thanks for the advice, i will not try to O.C it as i don't have very good cooling.

Better remove the old RAM. What I am saying is, the RAM which is running at 133Mhz is PC2100, so it should actually be running at 266Mhz and not 133. the rest are PC3200 i.e. 400Mhz. So remove the PC2100 RAM and see if the remaining are running at 200Mhz or 400Mhz.

i removed the old ram and the others are running at 200mhz.
does the ram run at half the speed quoted on the ram?
i took my ram to a local computer technician and he said dat both the rams old and new are DDR400 so they should run at the same speed. I can't understand as on both of my 512 rams it is DDR 400 but cpuz shows differently why so?

You will not be able to bring the slower ram to the quicker speeds.
thanks for your reply but the technician is saying dat they should both run at the same speed as its DDR400 written on both rams.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
i removed the old ram and the others are running at 200mhz.
does the ram run at half the speed quoted on the ram?
i took my ram to a local computer technician and he said dat both the rams old and new are DDR400 so they should run at the same speed. I can't understand as on both of my 512 rams it is DDR 400 but cpuz shows differently why so?

thanks for your reply but the technician is saying dat they should both run at the same speed as its DDR400 written on both rams.

heres the scenario inside your PC with your ram:

1st ram: 200Mhz
2nd ram: 200Mhz
3rd ram: 133Mhz
4th ram: 200Mhz.

now, in a PC if you got multiple ram (different sticks), the ram will run at the speed slowest of the lot. in your case, the slowest is 133Mhz. so the faster rams forced run at slow speed. you remove the slow ram, you got 200Mhz rams, so they run at their native speed i.e. 200Mhz, which you are getting when you removed the slow ram from the bundle. i hope its clear to you now.

DDR: double data rates. so a 400Mhz ram run at 200Mhz. & a 1333Mhz ram run at 667Mhz.

ok you may plug 1 ram at a time & run CPU_Z. no use fiddling with BIOS. if 1 single ram stick running at slow speed, the ram is most probably faulty.

pegasus

Journeyman
The slowest stick will always throttle back the speeds of the other DDR400 sticks.
Most of the times, adequate but fast RAM is better than lots but slow RAM.
You may use the system as it is, provided it is stable or replace the slower stick with something that is DDR400 or use your computer without the slow stick.

OP
rahul_brian

rahul_brian

heres the scenario inside your PC with your ram:

1st ram: 200Mhz
2nd ram: 200Mhz
3rd ram: 133Mhz
4th ram: 200Mhz.

now, in a PC if you got multiple ram (different sticks), the ram will run at the speed slowest of the lot. in your case, the slowest is 133Mhz. so the faster rams forced run at slow speed. you remove the slow ram, you got 200Mhz rams, so they run at their native speed i.e. 200Mhz, which you are getting when you removed the slow ram from the bundle. i hope its clear to you now.

DDR: double data rates. so a 400Mhz ram run at 200Mhz. & a 1333Mhz ram run at 667Mhz.

ok you may plug 1 ram at a time & run CPU_Z. no use fiddling with BIOS. if 1 single ram stick running at slow speed, the ram is most probably faulty.

The slowest stick will always throttle back the speeds of the other DDR400 sticks.
Most of the times, adequate but fast RAM is better than lots but slow RAM.
You may use the system as it is, provided it is stable or replace the slower stick with something that is DDR400 or use your computer without the slow stick.

He is wrong. They all will run at the lowest speed from the whole batch.

thanks guys i got it!

I have got to remove the old ram and everything will be good,

but i cant understand that it is ddr 400 written on the slow ram's label then why is it running at 133mhz and not 200mhz? is there a problem with the ram? can i rectify it?
coz guys my current ram config won't be sufficient for fast WIN 7 and i dont have the budget for a new ram this month, i will have to wait a whole month before i can get a new faster stick...

Top Bottom