Need troubleshooting tip for desktop?

shaiban001

Broken In
Hi,
Fed-up with my desktop that is getting switchedoff randomly. Problem may be in SMPS or in M/B. As a solution first I want to replace the SMPS as it will be cheap than M/B. However I bought this iball smps 5 months back only but how to prove to their service center that it has this problem.
So please suggest a descent smps (with SATA ofcourse) if possible with onsite warranty (so they come to collect it) or with easy customer service in Hyderabad.
Why I am thinking it is SMPS problem is, earlier I was using iball baby cabinet… but there I had hard disk crash problem very frequently (around 4 -5 in a year) and booting problem. So I took machine to some different engineers and got surprised that everybody had different views!!! But mostly was suspecting on SMPS and motherboard. So I changed the entire cabinet with a new SMPS (again iball smps). For around 3-4 months it was good. But now it is giving sudden switch off without any blue screen. This time at least no hard disk crash problem. Room temperature is also not very hot. It means, earlier this problem was not there but this time it came. Means it may be power supply.
Thanks.

Even if its a motherboard problem, you should cahnge the PSU to some quality product. get the Corsair CX430V available for 2500-2600 at most places. If the problem occurs even after changing the PSU, then you may have to RMA the motherboard.

OP
S

shaiban001

Broken In
Even if its a motherboard problem, you should cahnge the PSU to some quality product. get the Corsair CX430V available for 2500-2600 at most places. If the problem occurs even after changing the PSU, then you may have to RMA the motherboard.
Do we really have to spend so much of amount on this foreign brand? A lot of household still using desi brands costing not more than 600-700 bucks and they never get a single problem!
2nd think is how its customer service? How much time they take? For this type of problem, how they will rectify it? Does it has onsite warranty?
Thanks.

> Corsair does not provide direct warranty in India. You'll have to take the product to the service center.

>
A lot of household still using desi brands costing not more than 600-700 bucks and they never get a single problem!

You seriously need to have a look at this thread: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/power-sup...89-power-supply-blacklist-thread-newbies.html

> Reply after reading that thread.

OP
S

shaiban001

Broken In
This thread isn't answer of my question :)
I am still worried why everybody is talking about Corsair only. It is so costly compare to our desi brands. Does it mean no desi brand matches with these videsi brands? How is that possible?

This thread isn't answer of my question :)
I am still worried why everybody is talking about Corsair only. It is so costly compare to our desi brands. Does it mean no desi brand matches with these videsi brands? How is that possible?
h boy, that thread is filled with comparision of you Desi brand with Videshi brands. Just google for "local PSU disasters".

> Everyone recommends Corsair because they built the best consumer PSU in the world!

> Corsair CX430v2 is the minimum you should get. It's also Corsair's cheapest product (neglecting the VS450).

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
@OP: say.... do you know about China mobile?? and its life? its a matter of luck when it goes kaput. and even if it lasts long enough, there is no need telling the quality of parts inside.

on the other hand, consider Nokia. even if the mobile is dropped, no problem. parts used? A-grade.

and then there is the question of A.S.S. and its quality.

same applies for PSU. Considering its the heart of the PC, always buy a good quality one.
Corsair CX430V2 is enough for your PC and even though it does not have onsite warranty [which i believe none of the desi brands have ;)] its ASS is miles ahead of desi brands. :)

OP
S

shaiban001

Broken In
@OP: say.... do you know about China mobile?? and its life? its a matter of luck when it goes kaput. and even if it lasts long enough, there is no need telling the quality of parts inside.

on the other hand, consider Nokia. even if the mobile is dropped, no problem. parts used? A-grade.

and then there is the question of A.S.S. and its quality.

same applies for PSU. Considering its the heart of the PC, always buy a good quality one.
Corsair CX430V2 is enough for your PC and even though it does not have onsite warranty [which i believe none of the desi brands have ;)] its ASS is miles ahead of desi brands. :)

Here your comparison with China mobile with Nokia ones doesn't fit into the picture. Everybody knows china mobiles work for some months only. And how many people use these ****.
And if you think the PSU, whether it is Delhi's Nehru Bazaar or Jaipur's Raisar Market or Hyderabad's CTC, hardly people fit these corsair brands. And it is also not the case that these brands don't work. These brands work for years without any problem.
No hard feeling.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
we salute your patriotism and your want of things made in India, but plainly said, electronics manufactured in india is simply not reliable.

that said, i drew that comparision to show how electronics made by reputed companies are good and better than their indian[or chinese] counterparts. i even pointed out the usage of quality material inside the things. and how they can stand some degree of abuse.

if you are really worried about why we suggest Corsair, just stick to iBall.

Here your comparison with China mobile with Nokia ones doesn't fit into the picture. Everybody knows china mobiles work for some months only. And how many people use these ****.
And if you think the PSU, whether it is Delhi's Nehru Bazaar or Jaipur's Raisar Market or Hyderabad's CTC, hardly people fit these corsair brands. And it is also not the case that these brands don't work. These brands work for years without any problem.
No hard feeling.
I give up. OP, go for a VIP PSU and a desi ​motherboard. Have fun with your paperweights :facepalm:

No other company than Corsair produces such high quality psus. Seasonic has only a few quality products. Cooler master has only high end products which has comparable quality. Would you still call everyone biased if they suggested only xenon chips for servers, quadro for workstations, tesla for gpu clusters or noctua for air coolers? Grow up. Get some knowledge.

No other company than Corsair produces such high quality psus. Seasonic has only a few quality products. Cooler master has only high end products which has comparable quality. Would you still call everyone biased if they suggested only xenon chips for servers, quadro for workstations, tesla for gpu clusters or noctua for air coolers? Grow up. Get some knowledge.

OP
S

shaiban001

Broken In
Still this is not the answer of my question" thousands of people get desi PSU daily with their assembled brand and they don't get problem for many years"? Even I am using some local brand since 10 years at my hometown.. but it is working fine... what it means... it is only coincidence... if you say it is.. then I know hundreds of other people also who are using the same with this conincidence... I am not able to accept one thing.. how it is possible that no desi brand is producing quality products!!! How it is possible?
Again I am not hurting anybody's sentiments. I am just saying what is in these videsi PSUs that our desi brands lacking?

Adhip007

Journeyman
OP : Even most of your desi bands are not desi ..most of these products are manufactured at China only. And people recommend Corsair because it is reliable and easily available and the capacitors they use are of high quality. There are other good bands too, like Antec, Seasonic, Cooler Master (Silent Pro models only), Thermaltake, Zalman, Tagan etc.

Most important, look for 80+ Certification while searching for any PSU. Invest in Good PSU it will increase the longevity of the other computer components like CPU, M/B GFX card etc.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Still this is not the answer of my question" thousands of people get desi PSU daily with their assembled brand and they don't get problem for many years"? Even I am using some local brand since 10 years at my hometown.. but it is working fine... what it means... it is only coincidence... if you say it is.. then I know hundreds of other people also who are using the same with this conincidence... I am not able to accept one thing.. how it is possible that no desi brand is producing quality products!!! How it is possible?
Again I am not hurting anybody's sentiments. I am just saying what is in these videsi PSUs that our desi brands lacking?

it's upto you to take the blue or red pill ;-) anyway, look at the above suggestion and if you still feel like we are biased towards some particular brands only then feel free to get the best desi generic PSU you can find ... some brands I can suggest Zebronics, Colorsit, VIP etc. but get any of these only if you want some made in china labeled in India product only ;-)

CyberKID

In search for Tech Gyan!
@ OP: Is it a sudden power off or a restart?
If it's a restart, it's possible that your PSU isn't able to provide your system, the power it needs.

As for your query about why the people are biased towards these foreign brands-
This problem of sudden restarts used to happen with me a few years ago. I bought a branded Zenith PSU in 2005. It worked well for around 3 years, then I felt the need to increase the HDD from 80 GB to get rid of the space crunch I was having. Soon after that I started getting frequent abnormal restarts. Since at that time, I didn't have an internet connection so readily available, I followed my gut feeling that my 250 watt PSU (Enhance) supplied with my system wasn't able to supply the power the hardware needed. I brought a 450 watt Zebronics PSU, and the frequent restarts were gone. The Zebronics PSU worked well for around till last year, after working well for 3 years (since 2009), This PSU conked off my motherboard, which served me over 7 years. Since my brother had a project to be submitted, he arranged a system from one of his friends. Since he had to work on the project, he took out the motherboard from his friends' PC and tried using that with my system, and .... this mobo was gone too. We weren't able to identify the issue. We got both the mobos checked and both had the same symptoms (Northbridge of both the mobos went kaput). Our immediate suspicion was on the PSU, since this was the only thing common with both the mobos, and since other hardware was working well.
I took a lesson from that incident and invested in a corsair VS 450 PSU, before anything else. Although, nothing is fail-safe, still, trust builds on these so called "foreign" brands because of hundreds of thousands of satisfied customers and users.
Moreover, what I feel is that the problem with Indian brands is not with their product quality but with their product support, which is missing, or too meagre, and product support is what adds a large chunk to the product's costs.
One more thing, these so called "foreign" brands comply with stringent rules as laid down by various standards organizations like ISO, IEEE, FCC, etc, which makes them much more trustworthy. Most of these foreign brands (trustworthy ones) deliver what they advertise.
I'll suggest, take a close look at one cheap desi PSU, and one like some corsair, or seasonic, etc, try feeling their build quality-their cabinet enclosure, quality of wires, connectors, etc, and you'll see the difference.
After all that, it's your wish to either go with a desi one, or choose a foreign one, but do consider what's at stake (may be your expensive hardware). But, we'll keep on suggesting whatever we feel worth suggesting.

Last edited:
Top Bottom