Need to upgrade ancient rig

Siddharth_1

EXTREME
By "the four core AMD A6 APU" you mean A8 APU. Anyways, i told you to go with the AMD APU, because it would still give you enough graphics performance. You will not use the rig for browsing, apps, other threaded and multitasking, so the A8 apu is best. Also, the apu a good graphical performance for non-gaming applications.

ajaymailed

In the zone
By "the four core AMD A6 APU" you mean A8 APU. Anyways, i told you to go with the AMD APU, because it would still give you enough graphics performance. You will not use the rig for browsing, apps, other threaded and multitasking, so the A8 apu is best. Also, the apu a good graphical performance for non-gaming applications.
yeah i meant A8.
In this rig, he will add GTX 560 Ti , So getting A8-3870K for 7K is not that much worth. Better to go for any Phenom II X4.

Siddharth_1

EXTREME
Also, i looked up some sources and found that FX6100 has more than double benchmark score than G620.

Last edited:

ajaymailed

In the zone
Also, i looked up some sources and found that FX6100 has more than double benchmark score than G620.
FX6100 is six core high end bulldozer clocking 3.3 Ghz,
G620 is low end two core Sandybridge with many features disabled clocking 2.6 Ghz. FX 6100 should be compared with Core i5 not with G620.

Siddharth_1

EXTREME
You should compare FX6100 and the Phenom II X4 you like, before you come to a conclusion. I think the performance and benchmark score could still be better.

OP
anikahead2010

anikahead2010

Broken In
Final selection:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 or 960T-lets see what i can get.

Gigabyte GA-880GM-USB3 @ 4.8K-Where is it for 4.8k?
or
GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3-Any idea about price and where can i get it from?

G-skill RipjawX 1600 MHz DDR3 4GB @ 1.5K
Seasonic 520W Bronze @ 3.6K-Will ask shops nearby for it.

Any changes are welcome.Thanks a lot. :razz:

Cilus

laborare est orare
anikahead2010, couple of points after seeing lots of suggestion:

1. There is no point of getting a AMD high end APU if you're planning to add a powerful GPU later. CPU performance wise Phenom II 955 or higher models are better performer than the highest APU 3870K. When you will add a powerful Gfx card, anything over HD 6670, your IGP will be disabled. Moreover, all the K series APUs are semi unlocked and offer lesser overclocking potential than black edition Phenom II.

2.If you wanna buy the GPU later then no point of getting G620. All the latest titles like Battlefield3, Crysis2 are highly optimized to utilize up to 8 cores. So in future a quad core will be better choice.

3. Don't go with cheaper FX series processors from AMD like FX 4100 (4 cores) or FX 6100 (6 cores). In most of the cases the older Athlon II X4 3 GHz+ CPUs are beating them in gaming performance. A 3 GHz+ Phenom II X4 is any day better option as per the current scenario. 1090T, available at the same price point of FX6100, performs better than it.

My option is to grab the best phenom II quad/hex core available now. Flipkart has couple of them and so do some of the Online shops. In fact Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 6.9K in Flipkart is the best choice as in can be unlocked to a 6 core processor. So, you better hurry if you want Phenom II.

Siddharth_1

EXTREME
Final selection:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 or 960T-lets see what i can get.

Gigabyte GA-880GM-USB3 @ 4.8K-Where is it for 4.8k?
or
GIGABYTE GA-970A-UD3-Any idea about price and where can i get it from?

G-skill RipjawX 1600 MHz DDR3 4GB @ 1.5K
Seasonic 520W Bronze @ 3.6K-Will ask shops nearby for it.

Any changes are welcome.Thanks a lot. :razz:

Go for a 960T as Cilus said.

Can anyone explain that how can Phenom II X4 960T be unlocked into 6 cores?

OP
anikahead2010

anikahead2010

Broken In
anikahead2010, couple of points after seeing lots of suggestion:

1. There is no point of getting a AMD high end APU if you're planning to add a powerful GPU later. CPU performance wise Phenom II 955 or higher models are better performer than the highest APU 3870K. When you will add a powerful Gfx card, anything over HD 6670, your IGP will be disabled. Moreover, all the K series APUs are semi unlocked and offer lesser overclocking potential than black edition Phenom II.

2.If you wanna buy the GPU later then no point of getting G620. All the latest titles like Battlefield3, Crysis2 are highly optimized to utilize up to 8 cores. So in future a quad core will be better choice.

3. Don't go with cheaper FX series processors from AMD like FX 4100 (4 cores) or FX 6100 (6 cores). In most of the cases the older Athlon II X4 3 GHz+ CPUs are beating them in gaming performance. A 3 GHz+ Phenom II X4 is any day better option as per the current scenario. 1090T, available at the same price point of FX6100, performs better than it.

My option is to grab the best phenom II quad/hex core available now. Flipkart has couple of them and so do some of the Online shops. In fact Phenom II X4 960T Zosma @ 6.9K in Flipkart is the best choice as in can be unlocked to a 6 core processor. So, you better hurry if you want Phenom II.

Yeah was thinking of getting it from Flipkart.Though would ask local dealers too.Thanks. :-D

Go for a 960T as Cilus said.

Can anyone explain that how can Phenom II X4 960T be unlocked into 6 cores?

Not all can be unlocked,it's a gamble.
Hope it helps:Unlock AMD Phenom II X4 960T CPU Into 6 Core Processor - YouTube

Top Bottom