Need to knw something abt Synaptic package download

Status
Not open for further replies.

thilina

From Sri Lanka
Hello,
I use Ubuntu 8.10.When I try to install a package in "synaptic package manager" I can see a checkbox "Download package files only".What does this mean? To where the downloaded packages are saved to?Can U reuse those files later?
Im a user on a limited bandwidth.So its easier for me to save the packages (which I install through synaptic package manager) that I download in the hard disk for later use.

unni

In the zone
"Download package files only" means that the packages you select will be downloaded, but won't be installed. You can install them later.

The downloaded packages are saved in \var\cache\apt\archives if I remember correctly. Once you have downloaded all the packages you want, you can either use AptOnCD or copy the files manually to another folder for later install. If you are copying them to another folder, you need to run 2 commands additionally so that you can use it easily with Synaptic. AptOnCD will be easier though I use the second method.

Rahim

Married!
^You can double click on the downloaded .deb files and it will open with an installer (cant remember the name).
Alternatively give this command in a Terminal.
Code:
sudo dpkg -i packagename.deb
This will also download other dependencies if needed.
Why are you finding difficult to work with Synaptic?

OP
thilina

thilina

From Sri Lanka
Im on a limited connection.So every MB is golden 4 me!!

Hey,I forgot to thank you.You dd a big help for me.Thx a lot frnd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom