NEED TO KNOW HOW TO INSTALL FC3

Status
Not open for further replies.

mayneu

Journeyman
HI GUYS,
I am very much new to the linux, but a computer savvy
i am a doctor by profession..............
i need guidance from anyone regarding installation of FC3........
right from the initial screen till the completion.........
main prroblem is regardding the partittion........
i also wanna know how much of minimum swap partition should i keep..... aand how much of minimum hard disk is required?
why swap partition is required? in brrief answer would be benefecial...
i need a complete understandable answer....
so guys....any patient genius to help me out of my problem?
and make me use the linux as a professional pls............
waiting for good response from any one? :oops: :(

tuxfan

Technomancer
SINCE YOU ARE NOT EXPERIENCED IN LINUX INSTALLATION, TAKE BACKUP OF ALL YOUR DATA BEFORE TRYING FOR ANY PARTITIONING/REPARTITIONING

There are plenty of articles online on this topic. Take a search. You will find something far better than what anyone can explain here. Alternatively, buy a book on FC3. Almost all books give you installation procedure. Still better, wait for March. PCQuest is coming out with PCQ Linux 2005 (based on FC3). That will be a customised version of FC3. Their customisation is good for desktop users. Their magazine issue will also cover lots of tips.

But in short, you need free unpartitioned space on your hard disk to be able to install FC3. Do you have that? If not, then either you will to delete some partition or resize and existing one after defrag. There are partitioning softwares (like fdisk, partition magic, fips, etc.) and available for this purpose.

After you are sure you have enough space (about 6 GB), boot from the 1st CD (or DVD). Go for graphical install. Follow the step by step instructions. Keep your eye open and keep clicking on next after selecting the right options.

As for paritioning, there are a 2-3 option for automatic partitioning. Just take a look and select the most appropriate. Review the partitions before anything gets written on the HD. There is option for this too. Franky speaking, the installation steps are easy. I can understand that a newbie is apprehensive because even I was a newbie once :) But its not that difficult. Try it out. Just boot from the 1st CD a couple of times and review the options before you actually install anything.

Size of SWAP partition is usually double the RAM. But I would suggest keep it 4 times the RAM. So that if you double/upgrade your RAM in the future, things will still work efficiently. SWAP partition is used for temporarily emptying RAM. In short the OS gets a total working space of RAM+SWAP

sreevirus

Certified Nutz
first of all, the minimal install requirement for fc3 is stated at about 1 gb, but reserve atleast 4 GB for a better experience, as it will allow u to install some more softwares thru custom install.
the swap drive essentialy acts as a virtual memory, it allows linux to have more memory that the actual amount of memory in the PC and it is advantageous if u dont have a large memory, ie, if u have a 128 mb ram, then for smooth operations, then a swap drive of 256 mb or 512 mb will be fine for multitasking.
i'm assuming that u are well versed with operations in windows. create the partitions in windows. now, boot with the fc3 disk and u can smoothly sail upto the partitioning part.
now here, the c drive (or the primary partition) as shown in windows will be shown as hda1. the d drive will be shown as hda5, e drive as hda6 and so on. select the partition which u have reserved for fc3. click on edit. in the window which pops, select mount point as '/' from the drop down list and select format as 'ext3'. click OK
next, select the partition for swap and click on edit, and select format as swap from the dropdown list and click on OK.
proceed to the next part.
in the bootloader configuration, u can select the OS which u want as default. when u have windows installed, an entry named "DOS" or "Other" will be shown. u can check the OS which u want to load as default during the multiboot. there is an option to edit the entries in the bootloader. "DOS" or "Other" can be edited to be shown as u wish...u can edit it as "Windows"
the rest of the part will be easy now and u will be ble to follow the instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom