Need to decide this week end on a suitable lap top

beebwa

Right off the assembly line
Have been looking to purchase a laptop primarily for:

1. Gaming 30%
2. Editing (photo-shop)
3. Video edit to upload to You tube
4. Entertainment (hd movies)
5. Laptop with graphics card is important.

Although Pshop use is limited to only creating logos and some leaflets I need a high performance machine capable of multitasking.

Have seen the following on F-kart
Models in order of preference:

1. Asus K53SM-SX010D Laptop (2nd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 750GB/ DOS/ 2GB Graph) Gadget guru @ 38744.00
    will it accept win7/8 64bit and will it be efficient (sorry I am a newbie)
  2. HP Pavilion G6-2206TX Laptop (2nd Gen Ci3/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) from FK @ Rs. 37625
  3. Asus K55VD-SX314D laptop (2nd Gen Ci3|4GB|500GB|2GB Graphics|DOS) from FK @ Rs. 33957 but colour is dark indigo only.
    Sil metal @ Rs 33299 from snapdeal but any color choice from Naaptol @ 34,719
  4. HP Pavilion G4-2049TX Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ DOS/ 1GB Graph) from FK @ Rs. 39610
  5. Asus F501A-XX187R Laptop (2nd Gen Ci3/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Win7 HB) NO GPU from FK @ Rs. 34224
  6. Asus S56CA-XX030R Ultrabook (3rd Gen Ci3/ 4GB/ 500GB 24GB SSD/ Win7 HB) just a little to expensive from FK @ Rs. 43850
I was also considering
Acer v 571G without op system @ 37500 from Vijay Sales
but I've been told about service issues with i5 machines??

Though I'd like ASUS
I noticed the specs on HP are quite decent and GPU is Radeon HD 7670M i believe better

Budget is ideally for 35k can be stretched to 40k @ max. unless a superb deal comes along just above.

My usage is as follows:

1. Gaming 30%
2. Editing (photo-shop n Video edit to upload to You tube
3. Entertainment (hd movies)
4. Laptop with graphics is imp.

Pls advise me with best choice from above or alternates with best deals

A fellow TDF-ian pointed by pm towards:
Lamington Road for purchase, try PrimeABGB and ITwares.
Also to: MD Computers and Vedant Computers

i have searched thru the shopping forum found about Vedant but could not get any contact details of the other.
Any one has it would be welcome
Any other location where I can source from. Am based in Mumbai.

Finally is any one an owner of any of the above machine can they let me have their views and opinions
thanks

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Asus K53SM-SX010D Laptop (2nd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 750GB/ DOS/ 2GB Graph) Gadget guru @ 38744.00
will it accept win7/8 64bit and will it be efficient (sorry I am a newbie)

Absolutely.

but I've been told about service issues with i5 machines??

Hoax, period.

Get an i5 at least for swift multi-tasking with all kinds of editing and gaming in breeze. Ideal model is HP-2016tx (i5 3rd gen + 7670M) @ ~41k. You may find it cheaper locally.

PS: Skip the acer.

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
A fellow TDF-ian pointed by pm towards:
Lamington Road for purchase, try PrimeABGB and ITwares.
Also to: MD Computers and Vedant Computers

i have searched thru the shopping forum found about Vedant but could not get any contact details of the other.
Any one has it would be welcome
Any other location where I can source from. Am based in Mumbai.

why you want to source the laptop from Kolkata? you may have to pay Octroi tax extra which will surely upset the whole deal. visit ITWares (E-lounge) or PrimeABGB. They sell mainly computer parts but should stock laptops too.

Else you get Infibeam where you get discount by using some coupon codes.

OP
B

beebwa

why you want to source the laptop from Kolkata? you may have to pay Octroi tax extra which will surely upset the whole deal. visit ITWares (E-lounge) or PrimeABGB. They sell mainly computer parts but should stock laptops too.

First Thank you Mr moderator for posting my 1st Post. Have just joined the TDF community..

Also for the education Was not aware of Octroi as have just returned to India.

Gameranand has given me website links (ITWares + PrimeABGB) But as you said not much online will try and pay a visit but will call first.

Else you get Infibeam where you get discount by using some coupon codes.

How do I get coupon codes. Sorry for ignorance

Actually went to see at A & A INFO-SOLUTIONS Opp. Navrang Cinema ,Andheri (w) Mumbai - 400058
ASUS K53SM-SX010D @ 39000
+ see my reply above.

Also went to Alfa in Vile parle Not very confident on the way they do business But saw a lot of people there They did not have the models I wanted on display but said they'd source anything.
Are they a reliable bunch?

OP
B

beebwa

Absolutely.

Hoax, period.

Get an i5 at least for swift multi-tasking with all kinds of editing and gaming in breeze. Ideal model is HP-2016tx (i5 3rd gen + 7670M) @ ~41k. You may find it cheaper locally.

Isn't the HP-2016 with only 1 gb graphics?
and the 2GB graphics card on Asus compared to 7670M would that not be a better config?

Can you recommend any shops?
Sam and Gameranand have been kind to refer me to 2 sites see next reply

PS: Skip the acer.

Saw ASUS K53SM-SX010D and was offered @ 39000 from source below BUT also
Have been offered the following:

g4-2049TX (Black) i5-3210M/4/500/1GB/Free DOS/14.1"/DVDRW/BT/WC/1yrCC @39000 WINDOWS 8
(graphics is only 1gb no 2 gb However the processor is 3rd Gen)

g6-2202TX (Black) i5-3210M/4/500/1GB/Win8/15.6"/DVDRW/BT/WC/1yrCC @43000 WINDOWS 8

Is there much diff between 2nd and 3rd Gen processors.

Both offers from A and A Solutions Opp. Navrang Cinema ,Andheri (w) Mumbai - 400058

Fellow TDFs any More suggestions on my requirements.

I don't know if this is the right place to ask
But am in the market for
1. Sony PS3
2. LED / LCD Tv 40" suitable for this
3. Home theatre System to compliment this and the laptop when I download HD movies to play.

Please point me to the right thread

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Isn't the HP-2016 with only 1 gb graphics?
and the 2GB graphics card on Asus compared to 7670M would that not be a better config?
doesn't make any difference in performance. HD 7670M is too slow to make use of RAM higher than 512 MB and 1366x768 is a small resolution. Same is true for most laptop GPUs.

OP
B

beebwa

doesn't make any difference in performance. HD 7670M is too slow to make use of RAM higher than 512 MB and 1366x768 is a small resolution. Same is true for most laptop GPUs.

Sorry not a techie
Are you saying that independent Graphics cards do not assist in better usage as opposed to having an on board Card.

and what resolution machine should I buy as now it seems most are around 1366x768.

In that case what would be an ideal spec for a machine for my requirements and within my budget of around 40k

Hi all
if you see from my requirements I have listed all Intel Chips only as I was under impression that they are lot more heat efficient and better processors than AMD.

Shyed away from AMD as historically they had heat problems

Was advised by supplier that Why don't try the new A8 AMD Quad processors lot better than intel i3 n i5 series

1. They are bang for the buck
2. They are plenty efficient now a days
3. Very good for Graphic intensive programmes and Games

Is this true if so which machine can consider within my budget of upto 40k.

Vijay sales suggested 2005 ax black ? @ 35,000 (negotiated)
and A and Aa 2201ax @ 35k

Just want to add that most of the time Laptop will be on Lap at least 2 hrs at a time + Bed, usage will be on P-shop will this heat up to cause irritation.
My last on was a Tosh P105-S9337 very heavy , extremely Hot scalds skin after 2 hrs of extensive usage.

Haven't a clue about controlling CPU, fans controlling temp, clocking all above me so any help and advise welcome.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry not a techie
Are you saying that independent Graphics cards do not assist in better usage as opposed to having an on board Card.
No.

What I am saying is, the discrete GPUs in laptops are too slow to make use of 512 MB video RAM properly. Let alone 1 GB. And let alone 2 GB.

Don't make the amount video memory as a factor of your laptop purchase because it is meaningless for the same GPU for laptops.

Hi all
if you see from my requirements I have listed all Intel Chips only as I was under impression that they are lot more heat efficient and better processors than AMD.

Shyed away from AMD as historically they had heat problems.
Another misconception of yours.

Historically Intel Pentium 4 was the most heat producing processor out there. AMD was fine. 10 years back Athlon ran hot, but it had performance to back up. Pentium 4 ran hot but it didn't have the performance (and yea, Pentium 4 was NOT a good chip). Currently as far as desktops are concerned, Intel Ivy Bridge are hotter than AMD Vishera.

As far as laptops are concerned, cooling depends totally on the manufacturer.

That HP laptop with A8-4500M is fine. HP G6-2005AX is the largest selling and most highly rated laptop on Flipkart. For gaming, that laptop is the best. A8-4500M fits in between i3 and i5 as far as CPU performance is concerned.

But as that laptop will have two AMD GPUs - integrated is AMD and discrete is also AMD. In some games they both can work together in Crossfire and give you boost. eg, DiRT 3.

OP
B

beebwa

Thanks for lesson, Enlightened now on AMD Intel

Decision was purely being swayed by the independent Graphics in addition.

Thought and believed that an additional card would help in graphic intensive programmes like Photoshop, Video editors...

Have narrowed to K53Sm i5 Best price offered in 39k at dedicated ASUS showroom

Saw Snapdeal offer today 38699 Hoping for a little better.

Will decide after seeing the 2005ax at HP world tomorrow.

Is the warranty and service levels of ASUS satisfactory I am in Mumbai.

Whatever I buy from above two I will be getting the additional extended 3 yr total warranty pack

Top Bottom