Need to buy a new laptop! Too many choices - please help me narrow down to one!

shaikshoeb

Right off the assembly line
I'm a computer science engineering student. I need a new laptop as per the specifications given below!
Dell is strongly preferred! Please advise! :)

1) What is your budget?

25000 INR to 40000 INR

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?

Thin and Light; 12" - 14" screen
or
Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen

3) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: FIRST PREFERENCE: Dell, SECOND PREFERENCE:Lenovo, LAST: Samsung/Sony.
b. Dislike: All others not listed above ;)

4) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
As I'm a computer science engineering student, and will be mostly using it for programming, web surfing, testing new software, and Linux (installing inside windows) etc etc. It must be good and powerful. Sound quality is not important!

5) What screen resolution(s) & type (glossy/matte) would you prefer?

Either! I just want a good laptop with a good screen. Also if possible I must be able to view from different angles too!

6) Anything else you would like to say? (eg: local purchase, ASS,matte/glossy finish)
The laptop must have an 3rd gen i5 processor, or i7 too, only if it fits into my budget!
Also it must look good! Win 7 pro or ultimate is preferred.

Must have good front cam, bluetooth, wifi, usb ports, dvd drive, 4gb RAM and above, more than 500 GB disk space.

Or should you think I must wait for October 26th so that I can buy a new Windows 8 laptop? :D

Looking forward to your suggestions!
Cheers!

aroraanant

Explorer
Will you be gaming on your laptop?
As you prefer dell you can get Dell Inspiron 14R but it will cost you around 42-45k

sudeepht

Broken In
I think it absolutely makes sense to buy a laptop running Windows 8 or atleast one which offers a free upgrade to Windows 8. Among Dell laptops, I would suggest going for the Inspiron 14z if you can increase your budget by a further Rs. 5k. Clearly the PC industry is moving from regular laptops to ultrabooks and in that context the 14z makes a lot of sense

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
I am not much of a gamer. But i should be able to play the gta series without any problem. :D

20k laptop can run GTA SA. But for GTA IV (or V) you'll need a laptop with powerful dedicated graphics.

For old games: Samsung NP300E5X-A01IN (cheaper) or Lenovo G580 (with more warranty + bag)
For GTA IV or V: HP G6-2005AX (cheaper) or HP G6 2104TX (above 35k)

OP
S

shaikshoeb

Right off the assembly line
20k laptop can run GTA SA. But for GTA IV (or V) you'll need a laptop with powerful dedicated graphics.

For old games: Samsung NP300E5X-A01IN (cheaper) or Lenovo G580 (with more warranty + bag)
For GTA IV or V: HP G6-2005AX (cheaper) or HP G6 2104TX (above 35k)

Thanks for your suggestion. But I'm not much of a gamer as i said before. So i really dont need a laptop that is suited for gaming. All I want is a laptop that is below 40k, 3rd gen i5 and better, and must be future proof, and very reliable - I'll be using it for 4-5 years! :p So can you suggest a suitable laptop given the above needs? :) I'm prefering Dell (any series would be fine), closely followed by Lenovo's ThinkPad series. Please help! :)

Top Bottom