Need specs for building an HTPC

owlpic

Right off the assembly line
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: I will be using the computer for mainly watching movies (max 1080p) on my TV, and also using the computer as a media server (e.g Plex) to stream to other devices on my home wifi. I may install plex or kodi to act as the server. I won't be playing any games on it.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 15-20K

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows, though flexible as long as it runs the above mentioned media servers.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 500GB - 1TB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No. I have a 42" TV which I will be using as the display.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: No monitor.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Within a week

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Haven't done it before. Can try it. Else may get it done through an assembler.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Mumbai. Local or online, whichever is the best value.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I was given this recommendation for the HTPC. Is this a sufficient config?

Case: Mini ITX Nova Cabinet (200W SMPS)
Motherboard: Zotac E2-1800-ITX (onboard wifi, bluetooth) - Has onboard wifi, bluetooth, AMD Dual Core 1.5Ghz CPU and AMD Radeon HD 7340 GPU
RAM 4 GB DDR3 RAM
HDD (1TB)

ankush28

Bazinga
1. Raspberry Pi 3 (Onboard wifi/bluetooth)
2. Samsung Evo 16GB and any good 1TB externally powered hard drive (Or standard external drive with powered USB hub).
3. Any good 1.5-2A charger.
4. Some cables (HDMI/DVI depending on your monitor)
5. RPi case (Or build your own)
6. Weekend to set up everything.

This will still be less than 10k, I guess. Use internet for guides on setup (sample link).

Top Bottom