Need some info about Asus Xonar DG sound card

quicky008

Technomancer
A few days ago my 2 years old SB Audigy Value sound card began to malfunction and so I had to stop using it .I'm using my motherboard's onboard audio at the moment but I'm not completely satisfied with its sound quality and so I've decided to buy a new card.Initially i wanted to go for a creative Soundblaster Xtreme Audio sound card but i was informed by the retailer(md computers,kolkata)that they currently don't have any creative sound cards in stock-he advised me to opt for Asus Xonar DG instead.

After doing a bit of research about Xonar DG on the web,i was quite impressed by its price and features.But I was rather disheartened when i discovered that this card is not capable of upmixing stereo sound to 5.1(or higher)channels,so that while running any application or playing any a/v file that incorporates only 2 channel audio,sound can be heard from all speakers in a multi-channel speaker system(not from the 2 front speakers only)-even my onboard realtek audio chip and my older creative sound card had this feature,so I don't understand why its not supported by Xonar DG.

As creative sound cards are not available here at the moment and my budget is pretty low(around Rs 2000),my options are limited and I think I'll eventually have to settle for Xonar DG.Is there is no way to enable stereo upmixing on this card?I have a 5.1 speaker system and therefore it'd be great if i could hear the sound from all speakers while playing mp3s or movies which have only stereo sound.Can anyone shed some light on this issue? Thanks.

(p.s. If anyone knows where in kolkata are Creative SB Xtreme audio sound cards currently available,do let me know)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
see this as it may have a solution:
Upmix/StereoSurround on Xonar DX? - [H]ard|Forum
btw i thought now-a-days for stuff like upmixing audio/video player is the preferred choice for majority.

OP
quicky008

quicky008

Technomancer
Thanks a lot for replying whitestar_999,can you recommend a couple of audio/video players that can upmix 2 channel signal to all speakers of a surround sound setup?

Thanks a lot for replying whitestar_999,can you recommend a couple of audio/video players that can upmix 2 channel signal to all speakers of a surround sound setup?

One trick is to install razer surround and use media player like kmplayer or pot player and select "3/5+SB" as the speaker config.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
even without installing any thing else pot player has many audio output options which should take care of upmixing.you can try it by disabling upmixing in your onboard audio to see if it works.also download english version of potplayer from this site:
DVB Support
install 32bit version not 64bit as 64bit has no advantage whatsoever & may have issues related to codecs etc.

Top Bottom