Need some help in overclocking an ancient rig

kasshav

Broken In
Hello Guys,
This post is regarding getting an ancient rig of a friend of mine to overclock for some better performance. Following are the specs of system:
CPU: AMD Sempron LE-1250
Mobo: Jetway M26GT4
GPU: nVidia 8400GS
RAM: 2Gb

My question is what are the safe overclocking limits for this config. If somebody here has previous experience in ocing this rig please share. My friend has no plans on upgrading for over a year from now so he just wants his system to perform some more. No need for gaming etc. it's just that today's browsers hang his system due to heavy scripts on some webpages. So maybe ocing this old rig can help a bit in performance.. What do you say guys.. I am totally a noob at overclocking and have never done any? So some guidance for ocing would also help.

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
Buddy even if you overclock to 10GHz still it would lag..
point is no benfit from overclocking a processor that is about 3-4 gens old

guru_urug

iGoogle
That ancient rig most probably has an ancient local SMPS too. Overclocking with old SMPS that too unbranded is playing with fire(literally) even though the system doesnt have huge power requirements.

Power_user_EX

Searching for Anti-Matter
Well if its for "hanging" browsers then OCing might help. To overclock ur frnds PC you and he need to know some basics about clock multipliers , CPU to Ram speed ratios etc..

Here is an old tutorial for mine for outdated PCs (LGA775s and AMD AM1,2) : Legacy Intel LGA 775 / AMD AMx Overclocking Guide : OCFreaks!

That might help you.

Power_user_EX

Searching for Anti-Matter
@varun004 : Well .. to overclock the ram that his frnd has ... depends on the ram in the first place. If its a "running stock" type of ram then I doubt the margin of overclock.

@OP : Please mention the model of your RAM. When increase the HT link frequency the speed of the ram will also increase proportionately. So .. after cranking up the HT link freq .. u'll need to decrease you RAM freq .. to get back to its stock speed if the ram is of low quality with higher latencies.

Top Bottom