Need some details about USB 3.0

ajayritik

Technomancer
Hi Guys,

I recently bought a HDD which has USB 3.0 support. However my motherboard currently doesn't have the USB 3.0 support. I found that using this new device the transfer speeds are better as compared to device supporting USB 2.0 So even though I don't have USB 3.0 supported on my motherboard still is it possible for me to get better speeds?

Also I'm planning to get a USB 3.0 PCI ethernet card.

doomgiver

Warframe
Hi Guys,

I recently bought a HDD which has USB 3.0 support. However my motherboard currently doesn't have the USB 3.0 support. I found that using this new device the transfer speeds are better as compared to device supporting USB 2.0 So even though I don't have USB 3.0 supported on my motherboard still is it possible for me to get better speeds?

Also I'm planning to get a USB 3.0 PCI ethernet card.

1. you will get maximum speed of usb 2.0 when using a usb3 with a usb2 device.
2. you normally dont get full usb 2.0 speeds, as windows is a slow hog :mrgreen: use the same usb drive in linux, you will get speeds much closer to true usb2.0
3. to have the full advantage of a usb 3.0 hdd, you definitely need a separate pci add-on card (its not ehternet card, buddy :) )
4. all usb are backwards compatible, but it will give speeds of only the lower usb version :

eg :
usb 3 + usb 1 = usb 1 speeds
usb 3 + usb 2 = usb 2 speeds
both usb 3 = full, usb 3 speeds

always remember : windows will almost never give you "full" usb speeds.
try transferring same file in both windows an linux, you will understand what i am talking about.

OP
ajayritik

ajayritik

Technomancer
1. you will get maximum speed of usb 2.0 when using a usb3 with a usb2 device.
2. you normally dont get full usb 2.0 speeds, as windows is a slow hog :mrgreen: use the same usb drive in linux, you will get speeds much closer to true usb2.0
3. to have the full advantage of a usb 3.0 hdd, you definitely need a separate pci add-on card (its not ehternet card, buddy :) )
4. all usb are backwards compatible, but it will give speeds of only the lower usb version :

eg :
usb 3 + usb 1 = usb 1 speeds
usb 3 + usb 2 = usb 2 speeds
both usb 3 = full, usb 3 speeds

always remember : windows will almost never give you "full" usb speeds.
try transferring same file in both windows an linux, you will understand what i am talking about.

Thanks for the information. Sorry that was a typo about Ethernet thing.

Top Bottom