Need Some Advice On A New Gaming Rig!

smilingassassin

Broken In
Hi guys, how are you all doing? I am from Kolkata and here I am to gather some information and lots of knowledge! My old 8600GT graphics card died last week after a non-stop service of 6 years! I was so sad because we kinda bonded together somehow! R.I.P. 8600GT. Anyway, at first I thought let's buy another card but then I realized that 6 years has been passed and my whole rig is very very old now! So I decided to build a completely new rig. I did some research and finally came up with a concept build!
But before that let me tell you about my old rig 1st!

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E4500 2.2GHz
Motherboard: Intel DG33FB
Graphics Card: 8600GT (R.I.P)
RAM: Kingston 4GB DDR2 @800MHz
HDD: 160GB Hitachi @7200RPM
PSU: 500Watt Foxin
Chassis: Generic one from Foxin

I was ok with this build for several years until recently I was really having trouble running some games even in lowest settings! Then the card died and I found the perfect opportunity to build a new rig, woohoo!! I am so excited! :p When I built my old PC I was just a noob (Not that I know much now though) so I bought whatever the shop owner wanna sell me at that time within my budget. But that was ok back then. But now I love to do research before making any purchase and I hope you will support my enthusiasm in this matter. :razz: So after spending many hours doing research and stuffs I came up with the following concept build,

Processor: Core i5 3570K
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 Gaming Motherboard.
RAM: 8GB (2X4GB) DDR3 @1600MHz from either gSkil, Corsair or Kingston.
GraphicsCard: Radeon R9 270X / Radeon HD7850 / GTX 650TI Boost / GTX 660.
HDD: Western Digital Blue WD10EZEX 1TB @7200RPM (64MB Cache).
PSU: Corsair VS550 550Watt.
Chassis: A good chassis from either Cooler Master, NZXT or Corsair.

Now you guys might wanna know a few more things, so I am copy pasting from one of the sticky threads in this section! This should answer all of your questions, if not please feel free to ask!

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: This will be a gaming rig so I will probably run all the games out there like, Battlefield 4, Batman Arkham Origin, Call of Duty : Ghosts, Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 etc. and any upcoming release (You just name it!!) but really wanna run those in max settings at 1600X900! I will also be doing everyday stuffs like, net-surfing, listening to music, watching movies, some works on Microsoft Word and Excel, occasional photo editing when we take family photos on various events, that's all.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: Rs. 45,000 but I can extend my budget to maximum of Rs. 50,000 for a more balanced build.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: May be when I gather more info about overclocking.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1 (64bit).

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 1TB!

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No. 1600X900.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: My DVD-RW, Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers, Headphones and UPS!

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: The sooner the better!

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Self-built.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Kolkata, West Bengal. Yes. No, because online prices are much more expensive compared to local shops!

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: I am a Intel guy so I would prefer an Intel based build! Most probably I will upgrade to a better CPU heat-sink later. I want to build a future proof rig for at least 4-5 years! Please feel free to change anything you want, criticize me, advice me and guide me. Also, please suggest me a good chassis with nice cable management capabilities, good airflow and nice looks within Rs. 3,000! One more thing, when choosing a graphics card whether I choose AMD or nVidia after this discussion, which manufacturer should I go for? I mean, MSI, Sapphire, Asus etc. Thanks for your precious time and advice. Peace and have a nice day you all. :)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Welcome to TDF ;)

Coming to your rig plan here's what I suggest :

1. Stay away from MSI products if you can .. Plenty of RMA issue recently.
2. If you are spending ~15k for a cpu better get a Haswell K cpu and compatible motherboard rather opting for "older" IB architecture or you can opt for AMD FX 8350/8320 based config.
3. For graphic card stick with brands like Sapphire, Asus [ for AMD ]and either get R9 270x or aim for GTX 760 :D
4. For cabinet look NZXT Source 210 Elite / Bitfenix Shinobi.
5. For PSU skip corsair VS series .. get seasonic S12II 520/600W PSU.
6. The brand choice of memory modules is good .. look for G-Skill Ripjaws/ Kingston HyperX Blu or Corsair vengeance LP.

hitman4

In the zone
Processor Fx6300 7000
Motherboard Asus 970 Rev 2.0 5850
Ram 2 x 4gb 5200
Hard Drive Western Digital Caviar Blue 1Tb 4200
Graphics Card Asus GTX 760 20050
Power Supply Seasonic S12ii 520 4800
Cabinet Nzxt Source 210 2900
TOTAL 50000

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
CPU: Core i5 4570 -14000,
MB: Asus B85-G -6500,
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 8GB -5200,
GPU: Sapphire R9 270X 2GB -15600,
HDD: WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB (64MB Cache) -4000,
PSU: Seasonic S12II 520 -4200,
Chassis: NZXT Source 210 Elite -3000.
TOTAL: 52500.

ASHISH65

Technomancer
CPU: Core i5 4570 -14000,
MB: Asus B85-G -6500,
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 8GB -5200,
GPU: Sapphire R9 270X 2GB -15600,
HDD: WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB (64MB Cache) -4000,
PSU: Seasonic S12II 520 -4200,
Chassis: NZXT Source 210 Elite -3000.
TOTAL: 52500.

+ 1 for this rig

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
4 GB Ram is more than enough,even more so keeing in mind with current RAM price. I would say spend the extra cash on other stuff,like a better GPU or Motherboard or add some more cash and get a SSD just for the OS.

vijju6091

Feeling Gravity
^^ I dont think so because for gaming nower days few games have minimum requirements of 6 Gigs Of RAM. so OP Should Stick to 8 GB IMO.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
^^ I dont think so because for gaming nower days few games have minimum requirements of 6 Gigs Of RAM. so OP Should Stick to 8 GB IMO.

List me some games that utilizes more than 4GB of System Ram despite having a 1GB VRam, at 1600X900 .....enlighten me.

An SSD is always better for a fast and responsive system. Rather than wasting money on RAM , getting a Kingston 60GB SSD just for the OS for Rs 4200 is a better option.Im using one and I have everything from Lightroom to PhotoshoP [32-64] to Nero Platinum to what not,and Im still left with 22 GB. System feels damn snappy and fast over a mechanical HDD. The whole oint is get SSD over mindlessly spending on expensive ram.Always remeber the biggest bottleneck in PC is the mechanical HDD.

Last edited:

vijju6091

Feeling Gravity
^^
COD:- Ghost (minimum 6 GB Ram To play the Game at Whatever Resolution you choose)
Watch Dogs :- minimum 6 GB Ram to play the game

so my point was it is better to have RAM Which can run all the current Gen. games and if this the case right now then in future game may be more demanding.
SSD Does make system snappy like you mentioned but it shold not replaced with components without which tasks can not be done like in this case gamming (including COD) is primary task and if you want to do it then you should have 8 GB RAM. it can be done without SSD:)

ankush28

Bazinga
^buddy ssd will help to load game faster, Once its loaded it wont give any improvement...
yes SSD will help while rendering, editing stuff but OP's sole purpose is gaming.
so spend that 4-5K on graphics and you will surely get few extra FPS ;)
BTW How many games will you load on 60GB SSD :lol:
Just checkout CoD Ghost's size.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
^^Buddy I wrote about OS in SSD not Games on SSD. Secondly Even if it is for games,I absolutely love the fast load ups every time I die,in a sequence.Thirdly I advised OP to spend the RAM money on either SSD ,Mainboard or GPU. The point is you didnt read properly or what I Intended.:lol:

If I can play Ghost with 4GB so can you....:lol: The Game dosnt require more than 2.8 GB on a 64bit platform.
That RAM requirement is FAKE,its a way to sell more RAM not just the poorly optimized port IMO. Try the RAM FIX,its all over the web.

*www.dsogaming.com/news/call-of-dut...-way-to-bypass-the-games-6gb-ram-requirement/

OP, Get more RAM when the ridiculous prices stabilizes a bit. Now spend it elsewhere ,be it a SSD or GPU or Mainboard

Last edited:

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
^^Buddy I wrote about OS in SSD not Games on SSD. Secondly Even if it is for games,I absolutely love the fast load ups every time I die,in a sequence.Thirdly I advised OP to spend the RAM money on either SSD ,Mainboard or GPU. The point is you didnt read properly or what I Intended.:lol:

If I can play Ghost with 4GB so can you....:lol: The Game dosnt require more than 2.8 GB on a 64bit platform.
That RAM requirement is FAKE,its a way to sell more RAM not just the poorly optimized port IMO. Try the RAM FIX,its all over the web.

Call of Duty: Ghosts – Crackers Find A Way To Bypass The Game’s 6GB RAM Requirement | DSOGaming | The Dark Side Of Gaming

OP, Get more RAM when the ridiculous prices stabilizes a bit. Now spend it elsewhere ,be it a SSD or GPU or Mainboard

I agree with you on the price based shopping. But I disagree on having a 60GB SSD only for OS when the requirement is for gaming. Infact as someone rightly pointed out, ur 60GB SSD has no more room for any current gen games. So how will you load your games any faster as it will be resting on your HDD anyway??

All that you get for the 5K spent on SSD (60GB) is a faster boot time and thats it. Also, I would suggest people to refrain from suggesting SSD's lower than 120GB for a gaming build as less capacity SSD adds no value for gaming requirements.

Call of Duty: Ghosts – Crackers Find A Way To Bypass The Game’s 6GB RAM Requirement | DSOGaming | The Dark Side Of Gaming

I absolutely agree on he bold part. 4 GB is enough. 8 GB is all you'll need for like a decade.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
I agree with you on the price based shopping. But I disagree on having a 60GB SSD only for OS when the requirement is for gaming. Infact as someone rightly pointed out, ur 60GB SSD has no more room for any current gen games. So how will you load your games any faster as it will be resting on your HDD anyway??

All that you get for the 5K spent on SSD (60GB) is a faster boot time and thats it. Also, I would suggest people to refrain from suggesting SSD's lower than 120GB for a gaming build as less capacity SSD adds no value for gaming requirements.

You didnt get the Drift.....

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
No, better skip SSD and invest more on ram ... not every games but games like Crysis and other resource hungry games lags with 4GB ram. And looking at the current situation it does not look like memory module prices are going to come down anytime soon.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Am yet to see any lag with 4GB ram practically and honestly when Gaming. I would again say dont waste money on RAM better get a better GpU ,SSD,Cooling or a Mainboard. Rs 5200 is ridiculous for something you dont need. You will mostly see gamers exaggerate things and thats why companies like Razer and Steelseries survive.

In this forum off late some members would love to jump in to conclusion without reading the entire post and understanding things.Op simply spend the money elsewhere. Get more RAM when prices stabilizes.

So we should add 120GB ssd and get GTX650ti (sub 10k graphics card) if we have limited 50k budget?

Where did I say that. Are you on something? Read before you make yourself look funny. Rather than wasting Rs 5200 on unnecessary parts he should get better usable hardwares like SSD GpU Mainboard or even Cooling. In gamingjust for Watchdogs ist absolutely foolish to get 8GB ram at the current price for Rs 50K system. Suggest but use that too while suggesting.

rakesh_ic

Cyborg Agent
@The Incinerator - I agree with you on the point that prices of RAM's are soaring high now but do not think investing on 8GB RAM (in future) is a waste.
As I said 60GB SSD for gaming is not adviceable.
Investing on anything other than RAM now is a good option. May be OP can spend the money on the GC at the moment and later add another stick of RAM when the prices come down.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Am yet to see any lag with 4GB ram practically and honestly when Gaming. I would again say dont waste money on RAM better get a better GpU ,SSD,Cooling or a Mainboard. Rs 5200 is ridiculous for something you dont need. You will mostly see gamers exaggerate things and thats why companies like Razer and Steelseries survive.

In this forum off late some members would love to jump in to conclusion without reading the entire post and understanding things.Op simply spend the money elsewhere. Get more RAM when prices stabilizes.

Where did I say that. Are you on something? Read before you make yourself look funny. Rather than wasting Rs 5200 on unnecessary parts he should get better usable hardwares like SSD GpU Mainboard or even Cooling. In gamingjust for Watchdogs ist absolutely foolish to get 8GB ram at the current price for Rs 50K system. Suggest but use that too while suggesting.

ssd is useful, no doubt. but 60 gb is a doubtful thing. hitman absolution takes around 23gb hdd and splinter cell black list also takes almost the same. around 40gb gone there.were do other softwares get the space? otherwise he will need to install one game, play it fully, uninstall it and install new game. i will install more than one game for sure and i think most members do. so i would suggest skip ssd until he gets enough to spend for a 120 gb one.

Top Bottom