Need some advice for a new GPU

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
Performance wise, a 7870 CF will last around the same time as a 7970 or a little more.

Case 7870 CF : OP has to dispose both cards and get a new set of Gpu(s).
Case single 7970 : Op can get another 7970 which is going to be much cheaper at that time. Now this 7970 CF will last a lot longer at lower cost.

Just a thought. Not sure if this is the right way of thinking unless I am missing something.

Amd cards at the moment offer much more for their price. They have more potential and the few minor fixable issues (like stuttering ) are no reason not to opt for them.
The worthwhile multi gpu config for amd ( 7870cf @ 32k ) performs as per its cost as compared to an nvidia setup ( sli 660ti @ 40k). The sli might turn out too expensive for the performance it delivers.

If budget can be stretched, 660ti sli would work well as one of the options.

PS: Personally, I will prefer a single powerful card (like the 7970) now and add another later. Will last long, really long, ting tong... :D

Thats a very good suggestion!! i'd support it too. :)

@Sam: VFM/Performance per Rupee is the point here... NVidia cards can chew up AMD as per SLI without any tweaks, but if one is true enthusiast, then he will find out ways to get more deliverance from a AMD CF setup.

Cilus

laborare est orare
Myth, a 7870 can last far longer than a single HD 7970. Buddy, games like Crysis 3, Tomb Raider 2013 or Far Cry 3, have already started to stress the highest end GPUs like HD 7970 or GTX 680. And in future, say after 1/1.5 year down the line, adding a costly HD 7970 is not a viable option as on that time better cards with lesser price will be available.
I used to have a HD 6870 CF setup as you guys already know and it still performs close to GTX 660 Ti and play almost all the games with high settings despite the fact that they are almost two years old. But the highest end GPU on that time, like GTX 580, can't do that.
And getting another highest end card after 1 to 1.5 years is not a feasible idea at all. Consider the case of Tkin who have purchased the GTX 580 Lightning 1.4 years back and now tell me one thing, is he going to make a SLI of GTX 580 now?....the answer is NO as far better and efficient cards are available even below the GTX 580's current price. If you are willing to take the hassle of a multi-gpu setup, then do it now instead of going for a single highest end card, the idea of doing so after 1 year is not going to work.

COnsider my case: I have purchased the two 6870 within 3 months and after that played all the games released for 1.8 years without any issues. Now I have sold them both and switched to HD 7950 Boost version and can go for CF setup within 3 to 4 months. But I am not going to add another HD 7950 after one year.

Myth

Cyborg Agent
Got the point. Nice example of Tkin's 580 and your 7950 setup :razz:

Moral of the story : If CFing, doing it now or within a few months is advisable while that technology is still fresh.

Thanks for clarifying. :)

PS: You plan to add the same vaporx boost edition soon ?

OP
P

perspex

Broken In
If you are willing to take the hassle of a multi-gpu setup, then do it now instead of going for a single highest end card, the idea of doing so after 1 year is not going to work.

What is exactly the hassle of multi gpu setup? Installation? Configuration? Maintainance?

Top Bottom