need rig purely for 3d modelling/ rendering and occasional gaming (65k max budget)

prashanthada

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: porpose is to get flawless 3d modelling and rendering on software's like Revit, Max and Modo. occasional gaming like DOTA2 , NFS

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 60-65 k

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans:no

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: win7 ultimate any suggestion for win 8?

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 1tb

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:24" full hd, value for money hd monitor

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans:speakers

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: in one week by this weekend-18 nov.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans:assembler will assemble it

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: delhi, online-no issues

11. Anything else which you would like to say?

so lets go one by one I have done some research and am confused about some-things

1. processor - 3d generation i-7 3770
is there a better value for money processor available other then i-7 3770

2. mother board - h series or z series.
am not going to over-clock. is sli possible in h series. in future i might want to use two gpu. please suggest the specific series with price

3. ram - i want to start with 8 gb 1600mhz ram.
now am confused between corsair and g-skill. which of those is a better ram. have read that corsair comes with a bigger heat sink. please help between corsair or g-skill. and also is it available and possible to use ram with more mhz's? will it make any sensible difference in performance?

4. graphics card - am looking for a entry level or mid range professional card. quadro 600, quadro 2000 or firefro 4900.

5. hard disk - 1 tb
everybody been writing about wd black ......green.....blue...please clear the confusion out. what the hell with all those models..............please suggest me the fastest hard drive in 7200 rpm..........as far as i have read wd black comes with 64mb cache but others don't...please some one help on this

6. power supply - i dont have much knowledge about power supplies.
please first suggest me how much power supply do i require. second have been reading threads about corsair vs450 is it an optimum enough power supply?..........and then which brand and make

7. cooling system
have been reading about cooler master hyper evo. are their other options in corsair or something. remember am not over clocking...........but my system might be on for 24 - 48 hrs. on a single stretch at times.

8. case
which case to use for efficient cooling. Corsair Carbide Series or cooler master. please suggest a decent case

9. monitor
want a full hd led panel 24". also suggest options other then dell monitors. max budget for monitor is 15000

10. mouse, keyboard, dvd-rom
I'll choose them and budget for them goes about 2500.

please friends help me with this. its an urgent configuration by this weekend. and my budget goes between 60-65.
and it will be really helpfull if you can suggest the configration in these 10 points so can clearly compare and discuss the options between various suggestions one by one. thanks in advance :-o

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
For Processor, you can also look at i7 2600K which is better VFM than i7 3770.

For Motherboard, get Asrock Z77 Extreme4 around 10K

For RAm, get the 8GBX2 G-skill RipjawX @ 6.5K

For Gfx card: HD 7850 2GB GDDR5 from Gigabyte @ 14K

PSU: Corsair GS600 @ 4.6K

WD Green SATA 6 Gbps 1TB @ 4.6K
Corsair Forsa Series 120GB SSD @ 6.2K (Kolkata Price)

However, I was checking the performance of couple of apps you've mentioned like Revit and found out they are highly multi-threaded in nature. For this reason a 11.4K priced FX-8150 performs almost same as a i7 2600K, priced at 18K. Also AMD's quality motherboards come cheaper than Intel. So if you are considering a real VFM system then you can also consider the Bulldozer FX 8150 Processors.

Myth

Cyborg Agent
@Cilius : Your proc fits OP requirement better allowing a better gpu.

I understand 2600k is a great cpu for the mentioned requirements, but OP doesnt want to OC. OP could opt for alternative nonOC proc. The proc and the z77 mobo consume budget space and offer features which OP wont use.
Save money on the proc and mobo here and opt for the sapphire 7870.
If OP is certain of CFing later, 7850 is ok.
PSU : tx650 if multi gpu is in consideration.
Take an Evo@2.1k. i7s are warm :p

WD : black > blue> green. Price,performance and reliability(and warranty also).

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
For the type of games he has mentioned, crossfire is not needed. And ya, OP can go with 2600 instead of 2600K

OP
P

prashanthada

Broken In
so lets go one by one again

1. processor
so am not overclocking so no k version for me. so tell me guys i7 2600 is 2nd generation and 17 3770 is 3rd generation. the applications i use are highly multi threaded as mentioned by cilus and also everyone know that. so wont it be a good idea to go for 3770.
and one more important thing i7-2600 supports max 1333 mhz ramARK | Intel® Core and i7 3770 supports upto 1600 mhz ARK | Intel® Core
i want to use 1600 mhz ram so i have to go for i3770 i guess for its supported memory type at 1600 mhz.

2. mother board
now as am not overclocking so no z series for me. and if sli or crossfire is just helpful in gaming not in applications, then ill not do any sli or crossfire also in future. as am not configuring pc for gaming. occasional gaming could be done in whatever system am choosing.
please let me know is their any other performance difference in z seies and h series board other thn overclocking nad sli/ crossfire?????? processor can support till 1600mhz so no point having z series board which supports ram at greater 1800/ 2000mhz types. so according to me h series board will be fine. please let me know if am thinking wrong.

3. ram
i just want to use 8 gb 1600mhz to start with. please let me know corsair or g skill...........which on is better. actual model number will help. thanks

4. graphics card
i have choosed my graohics card that i can afford its quadro 600.

5. hard disk
got ur point myth. ill go for black or blue according to budget and availability. can u tell that is it true that wd black makes lot of noise????????

6. power supply

now according to i7 3770 and quadro 600. with no over clocking and sli/cf how much power do i require????? providing the fact that computer might be on for 1 2 days and rendering will be done on it. thanks i have no knowledge on psu please suggest.

7. cooling system
colling system for the above configuration. which suits best?????

8. case

decent case for above config.

thanks please all help me i got 1 day more to make order. will be ordering on sat please reply fast. thanks

Cilus

laborare est orare
1333 MHz is the Ram speed native support for Sandybridge (2nd Gen Core series) but they do support Ram beyond 2000 MHz by uisng Intel XMP profile. 2600K can easily support 1600 MHz Ram.

OP
P

prashanthada

Broken In
@neo
please clear my one doubt will ibe able to use 1866mhz ram on i7 3770 processor? will gigabyte GA-H77-D3H-MVP support that 1866ram.as it says on the website "Support for DDR3 1600/1333/1066 MHz memory modules"
am planning to go for this mobo GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155 - GA-H77-D3H-MVP (rev. 1.1) beacause am not going to overcloack or anything so h series............please lemme know and also if you can tellme one by one what all we need for the same. i have posted all the points above. thanks

_AkasH_

Broken In
If you're not OCing, stock cooler should be enough. You can get a Hyper 212 Evo for 2k, it's quieter than stock and performs better.

Never heard of WD Black making too much noise, did any of the reviews mention that?

PSU : 600 or 620W should be enough.

Case : What is your budget? Carbide 300/400 are good cases. I have a Phantom 410 which I absolutely love. It'll cost you 5.5k to 6.5K depending on how local prices are. Check out primeagbg, they are NZXT distributors I think, so they might have it there for a lower price.

Cilus

laborare est orare
@myth and @cilius
can you now give me one by one explanation for my questions. or anyone please

If you are buying Non-K Intel 3rd Gen Processors then no point of going beyond 1600 MHz speed as the Non-K series Processor can't support it. In case of K series Processor, you can use higher frequency Rams beyond the speed natively supported by the Processor.

OP
P

prashanthada

Broken In
@cilus
thanks for the info i was confused about. on quick question you can ignore that afterwards. does overclocking cpu and ram help in running intensive applications also. or as i know they are for intensive gaming?
other then this please temme about best mobo for (non overclocked processor and 1600mhz ram)
how much actual power do i need for above said config.????
cooling and case for the same?
will all this come under 60-65k?
please help

Neo

@cilus
thanks for the info i was confused about. on quick question you can ignore that afterwards. does overclocking cpu and ram help in running intensive applications also. or as i know they are for intensive gaming?
other then this please temme about best mobo for (non overclocked processor and 1600mhz ram)
how much actual power do i need for above said config.????
cooling and case for the same?
will all this come under 60-65k?
please help
Ofc. Overclocking the CPU, RAM, GPU will surely improve performance.
for the PSU, get a Corsair GS600 or TX650 since you will be going for SLI in future.
For cooling, stick to stock cooler , since you are not going to OC.

vkl

Cyborg Agent
Intel i7 3770 -18k
Asus P8H77-M LE - 7.6k or ASRock H77 Pro4/MVP Motherboard-6.8k
G.Skill RipjawsX (2x8GB)(F3-12800CL10D-16GBXL)-6.5k or G.Skill RipjawsX (2x4GB)(F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL) -3k or G.Skill RipjawsX (1x8GB)(F3-12800CL10S-8GBXL) - 3.2k
Corsair cx430v2 - 2.5k
WD Caviar blue 1TB -4.9k
CM elite 311plus -2.7k
Dell UltraSharp U2312HM 23" -14.8k or BENQ GW2450 LED Monitor-11.3k
Asus DRW-24B5ST - 1k
Mouse&KB:Logitech MK200 -0.7k

For graphics card take either of firepro v4900,v4800 or v3900.All of them perform better than quadro fx600 in most of the 3D animation/rendering applications.
v4800 would cost around 9-10k.
If you can find v4900 then take it,should be around 13-14k.It performs quite close to firepro v5900 and is the card to get at that price-point as of now.
1600MHz RAM is fine with i7 3770.

In heavily threaded applications like 3DSMAX i7 3770 would be around ~15-20% faster than i5 3550.
i5 3550 is around 12.5k.i5 3550 would be a little ahead of fx8150@stock in apps like 3DS MAX while would fall behind it by a bit in apps like blender.
If we take out overclocking out of equation then i5 3550 makes more sense as it has much better single-threaded performance and also is somewhat more efficient.

Dell ultrasharp u2312HM is an IPS monitor,has better color reproduction and viewing angles.
For RAM you can take a single stick of 8GB memory and add more memory later if you think it is needed.

OP
P

prashanthada

Broken In
@vkl
am not overclocking thats decided. and most of the confusions are solved now.
1. now please pick one 17 3770 or i5 3550. as 17 have 4cores with 2 thread each and i5 with 4 cores with 1 thread each.
2. was going through some posts thats why asking this question that can a gaming card be used in my system. as its about cuda nos. and some cards have more then quadro or firepro cards. out of curiosity am asking as in 3d applications workstation cards only helps in view ports. but if the same help can be provided with a gaming card. that will help me in gaming also. just asking an alternative on card issue.

3. what i have understood now that if am not overcloking and no k version cpu then c430 power supply is enough for me right???\
4. and everone suggest that g-skill ripjaws are better then corsair vengeance or corsair xms right????
5. can i go with gigabyte mobo GIGABYTE - Motherboard - Socket 1155 - GA-H77-D3H-MVP (rev. 1.1) ???? that cheaper then asus. is the performance same or i should go with asus only??
6. should i get a Hyper 212 Evo or i dont need it in case of continous gaming or 3d work????

vkl

Cyborg Agent
1. As already said,i7 3770 would be anywhere around 15-20% faster than i5 3550.Even though viewport rendering can be handled by GPU final rendering would be done by the CPU
so a faster CPU is better.If you can afford i7 3770 then go with it or else i5 3550 is fine.
2. You can look for hd7850 2GB.Has good compute power with good gaming performance.In professional applications firepro v4900 would be better
but if you want gaming then consider hd7850.Hd7850 2GB can be found for around 13-15k.
It is not just about number of GCN stream processors/cuda cores,it is also about the better optimized drivers oriented for workstation applications that come with professional cards.
In rendering,for smaller models the difference between a professional card and a comparable spec-ed gaming card won't be much but when it comes to larger models the former
would be much faster.As far as some opencl render benchmarks is concerned gcn-based 7000 series card do quite well in it.
Also professional cards are less erratic and less prone to crashes in applications,even though similarly priced gaming card can beat it in speed.
If one does 3d modelling on a regular basis then a professional card is a much better solution but if gaming is needed then hd7850 is a good card with good enough compute performance.

3. cx430v2 can easily handle the config mentioned by me.Even if you change the graphic card to hd7850 then also cx430v2 is more than enough.You can also opt for corsair cx500v2 for 3.3k.
4. Gskill ripjawsX overclocks better.That's about it.Corsair vengeance 1600MHz CL9 RAM is a good option.Since overclocking doesn't matter in your case,pick any of the two.
5. Yes,GIGABYTE GA-H77-D3H-MVP is fine.
6. Even if you are not overclocking the temperatures might be quite high with ivy i7 under heavy load especially in summer seasons.Temperature also depends upon your the climate of your region.If you think the temperatures are quite high then you can buy hyper 212 evo,else stick to the stock cooler.

Top Bottom