Need parts suggestions for business PCs and server

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Please take a look at these configs and answer my questions.

Server PC

ProcessorIntel Xeon 1245V2
MotherboardSupermicro X9SAE-V
RAMKVR1333D3E9S/4G x2
PSU??
HDD1WD Caviar Black 500GB
HDD2WD Caviar Black 2TB x2 RAID 1
ODDCheap DVD-RW
CaseLian Li PC-6B
Monitor22”
KeyboardTVS Gold Keyboard PS/2
Mouse + PadRoccat Lua + Steelseries Qck Mini

For this PC, two 2TB drives in RAID 1 will be use to record IP Camera feed. I chose caviar blacks for their reliability and warranty. TVS gold keyboards are supposed to be rock solid (my school has still been using the same ones purchased between 2001 and 2004, and they felt awesome when I used them-much better than my G15). Two displays, 1 monitor and 1 TV will be connected via HDMI to this system. This will also act as the server of Tally ERP.9 Gold.
Cameras will be port-forwarded for remote/ internet viewing.
Please suggest a monitor 22" that is reliable but cheap (don't need high end displays).
I need an 80Plus Gold or better PSU with at least 5 years warranty for this system. I think 300-350W will be enough. Do note this PC will be on 24x7.
This will also be the print server.

Accounts & PC

ProcessorCore i5 3330
MotherboardGigabyte GA-Q77M-D2H
RAMPatriot PSD34G13332 x2
PSU??
HDDWD Caviar Black 500GB[td]
ODDCheap DVD-RW
CaseLian Li PC-A-05FNB
Monitor17"
KeyboardTVS Gold Keyboard PS/2
Mouse + PadRoccat Lua + Steelseries Qck Mini
[td]

This will be the configuration of two PCs that are used for accounts and billing. Tally ERP.9 Gold client editions will be installed here. Please suggest a PSU that has 5+ years warranty and is at least 80Plus gold. I'm guessing a 300-350W PSU will be enough. These PCs will be on only during business hours. Also suggest cheap but reliable 17" monitors for these PCs.

Is the RAM I selected for both PCs covered by a lifetime warranty? If not, please suggest alternatives. The server needs two 4GB sticks of 1333Mhz Unbufferred ECC RAM and the regular ones two 4GB sticks of regular RAM.

I chose Lian Li cases because they look awesome, so don't suggest alternatives that are neither as simple-looking nor made of aluminium. I have to import some networking equipment anyway (Netgear's lifetime warranty is globally applicable), so these cases will tag along.

I will install Windows 7 ultimate and Office 2013 H&B on the three PCs.

Thanks for all the help guys!

EDIT: By popular demand, the questionnaire for the second PC

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Tally ERP.9 Gold client version, Office '13 H&B, maybe some of the OS-bundled games. Firefox & Chrome will be run. Kaspersky IS or PURE will be run. IP camera monitoring software will also be installed, depending on who the camera manufacturer is. WinRAR will be run, as will some backup utilities (have to decide on which one). These are the confirmed applications, but some apps might be added in future. Sometimes all of the above will be active simultaneously.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: No specific budget. Amount is as required.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Ofcourse not.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7, probably ultimate, maybe pro depending on the current price difference (need Bitlocker or similar encryption so probably ultimate).

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 500GB in RAID 1. 5 years warranty on HDDs is a must.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: 17" highest resolution possible. Cheap but reliable is the norm.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Speakers and UPS for sure. UPS will be a big one for entire office.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: ASAP.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Built lots of setups before. Same for this one. Assemblers will not get to touch the system.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Kolkata. Locally as much as possible but if online is much cheaper then no problem buying online, as long as I can get warranty.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Motherboard chipset HAS TO BE Q77 because I need RAID. Case has to be made of aluminum, so if there are cases cheaper and as well built as Lian Li ones, I'm open to buying them. PSU has to be 80 Plus Gold or higher with at least 5 years warranty. 2*4GB 1333Mhz RAM with lifetime warranty please, I like Patriot so would prefer those over other brands. I want to avoid Corsair because I've always had their products fail on me. The only time they'd work fine is when I'd get direct replacements from the company. Processor should also be an i5 Ivy. I like TVS Gold keyboards because they are built like tanks and are a treat to type with. Mouse has to be a very smooth gliding one with ~2000 DPI sensitivity. Please look at the configuration posted above. You will see that I chose the cheapest keeping all this in mind.

Last edited:
> The server config looks good.

> for the display, Dell S2240L (not to be confussed with ST 2240L) is a very nice IPS panel available for 8500.

> for the accounts PC, i5 would be a total overkill IMO. My suggestion:

i3 3220 (7000)
Gigabyte B75M DH3 (4000)
Corsair Value Select 4 GB (1900)
WD Blue 500 GB (2900)
Corsair CX430V (2600)
CM Elite 180 (1800)
TVS Gold KB (1500)
Any mouse (300)
Asus optical drive (1000)
Dell s2240L (8500)

total: 31500

optional: APC 600 VA UPS (2200)

> WD Black is not available in 50 Gb capacity. It is only available if 1 TB and 2 TB sizes.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
You dont need an i5 and Roccat Lua and Lian Li for accounts and billing!!! Thats serious cash waste. Add Intel Xeon and WD Blacks for a CCTV recorder and billing server???!!! Seriously?:-?

OP
Extreme Gamer

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
You dont need an i5 and Roccat Lua and Lian Li for accounts and billing!!! Thats serious cash waste. Add Intel Xeon and WD Blacks for a CCTV recorder and billing server???!!! Seriously?:-?

The xeon chip is a necessity. Xeon gives me ECC memory support. Like I said, that server will behave like a genuine server, accessible via the internet, and not just in the LAN. It will be on 24x7, so I want to get xeon. They last much longer than consumer chips. And what makes you think the xeon system will be used for billing? It will just hold the server end of tally and act as the database.

I want lian li because they are made of aluminum. If you know cheaper simplistic cases made of aluminum, I'm all ears.
> The server config looks good.

> for the display, Dell S2240L (not to be confussed with ST 2240L) is a very nice IPS panel available for 8500.

> for the accounts PC, i5 would be a total overkill IMO. My suggestion:

i3 3220 (7000)
Gigabyte B75M DH3 (4000)
Corsair Value Select 4 GB (1900)
WD Blue 500 GB (2900)
Corsair CX430V (2600)
CM Elite 180 (1800)
TVS Gold KB (1500)
Any mouse (300)
Asus optical drive (1000)
Dell s2240L (8500)

total: 31500

optional: APC 600 VA UPS (2200)

> WD Black is not available in 50 Gb capacity. It is only available if 1 TB and 2 TB sizes.

Could you suggest 500GB HDDs with 5 years warranty?

I understand what you mean by overkill processor, but there will be a lot of multitasking going on. I want a Q77 chipset mobo because of RAID support. CX430V has terrible warranty. UPS will be a single high capacity one for all the computers and networking equipment, to keep them alive for ~15-30 mins until the generators are powered up. For the accounts PCs, I need 17" monitors not 22". The 22" will be considered for the server :)

For mouse I wanted a mouse that glides well, so "any mouse" won't do. It isn't just my employees who will be using these PCs. I will also be using them, and "any mouse" has always been troublesome. I'm way too pampered by the Steelseries Sensei at home I guess :p

Forgot to mention that the server will also be a print server.

Answer these questions wrt accounting PC: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-compon...new-pc-help-answer-these-questions-first.html

OP
Extreme Gamer

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
I'm not looking for full configurations. I am looking for suitable parts to fill the gaps, namely PSU and monitor.
Also, according to the WD website, 500GB drives exist in the caviar black lineup: WD5003AZEX.

Last edited:

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
If you are improrting equipment, why not get WD Red instead of black. They're meant for 24/7 use and so consume low power and you get 24/7 customer support too. The only downside is that the warranty is only applicable for 3 years.

As for the PSU, corsair makes the best ones in the Indian market. Warranty is a pretty subjective thing. You could ask members about their experiences but I doubt that there's any other way to know about the aftersales service of PSU companies.

OP
Extreme Gamer

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
If you are improrting equipment, why not get WD Red instead of black. They're meant for 24/7 use and so consume low power and you get 24/7 customer support too. The only downside is that the warranty is only applicable for 3 years.

As for the PSU, corsair makes the best ones in the Indian market. Warranty is a pretty subjective thing. You could ask members about their experiences but I doubt that there's any other way to know about the aftersales service of PSU companies.

Nah the power draw difference is meagre. The warranty is more important. Reds are intended for NASes. I like Corsair's higher-end line but their lower-end leaves much to be desired. If only they had low-wattage AX/HX PSUs...

Anyway, the questionnaire will be uploaded very soon so stay tuned.

EDIT: I have answerred the questionnaire. Please take a look.

Last edited:

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
If you are all ears why are you getting a WD Black for a server that has a XEON and you need the XEON for ECC RAM and accessible via the Internet, as only the the Xeon is capable of that or no other configuration??? 24/7, usage hence a Xeon ok,even folders dont use Xeon for 24/7 usage. Anyways its your choice your money.

As for all ears , do use a enterprise class HDD for the Xeon Server as they generally do or a Seagate SV series HDD.And not a Black,Blacks are not meant for 24/7 usage.

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
For the RAM chck out G.Skill Ripjaws. They're OC RAMs but there really isn't much of a price difference. I believe that they're backed by lifetime warranty too. You can get a 4GB 1600MHz Stick for around Rs1400. And if you really don't want the WD reds, you should go for an enterprise class as The Incinerator said.

OP
Extreme Gamer

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
If you are all ears why are you getting a WD Black for a server that has a XEON and you need the XEON for ECC RAM and accessible via the Internet, as only the the Xeon is capable of that or no other configuration??? 24/7, usage hence a Xeon ok,even folders dont use Xeon for 24/7 usage. Anyways its your choice your money.

As for all ears , do use a enterprise class HDD for the Xeon Server as they generally do or a Seagate SV series HDD.And not a Black,Blacks are not meant for 24/7 usage.

So I should get WD RE units? Okay no problem. WD RE it is then. 5 years warranty, RAID and 24/7 use certified. However, WD blacks are also certified for 24/7 use. They are not, however, intended for RAID :)

For the RAM chck out G.Skill Ripjaws. They're OC RAMs but there really isn't much of a price difference. I believe that they're backed by lifetime warranty too. You can get a 4GB 1600MHz Stick for around Rs1400. And if you really don't want the WD reds, you should go for an enterprise class as The Incinerator said.

I'm pretty certain G.Skill sells factory-overclocked memory (essentially that is what XMP is). The Patriot value units I chose also have lifetime warranty and no XMP I think. Let me check. Yeah no XMP.
I'll get WD RE units instead of Reds. Because they are 5 years warranty backed apart from being RAID certified. *support.wdc.com/warranty/policy.asp?fid=wdsfDesktop_Black#apac

Last edited:

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Aluminium cases work where the room or ambient temperature is around 25C to 30C and not 40C as India where its best to have stell?plastic chasis with large fans. If your environment which I presume will be air conditioned even then a NZXT Gamma will keep components cool. But that dosnt mean Im undermining a good aluminium cabinet in any sense.

OP
Extreme Gamer

Extreme Gamer

僕はガンダム!
Vendor
Aluminium cases work where the room or ambient temperature is around 25C to 30C and not 40C as India where its best to have stell?plastic chasis with large fans. If your environment which I presume will be air conditioned even then a NZXT Gamma will keep components cool. But that dosnt mean Im undermining a good aluminium cabinet in any sense.

Very true. However, the building has centralized air conditioning and each room gets an individual industrial AC unit. So room temperature will be fine. Besides, I don't think I would say "no budget" if I was making my customers sweat whenever they came to purchase goods from me. Before splurging on computers I would ensure my customers (and I) had comfortable surroundings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom