Need laptop for work mostly + light entertainment (~35k budget)

Innara

Broken In
Need laptop for work mostly (UPDATED - please read)

PLEASE READ MY UPDATED POST FEW REPLIES DOWN!!

1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)
As cheap as possible! Around 35k please, less the better.

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?
Not important, whatever is fine.

3) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook?
Order of priority:
- Work related applications like Microsoft Office & Adobe Captivate. This is for my work and it's critical that performance is fast when working with large data quantity and running them all together alongside other everyday applications like Chrome, music software etc. Good multitasking capability is essential.
-Watching videos and movies in HD (full HD not needed). Medium priority, mostly I watch stuff on the TV via my console or usb.
-Light gaming with low/med setting. This is lowest priority, I have a console anyway so it's really NOT critical if gaming is not possible on my budget...it would just be nice to play some of my steam games. Please mention if gaming will not be possible so I know.

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?
I'm not sure about specs, I'm a noob with tech jargon which is why i'm here in first place...

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
Nope, I'm not very brand loyal.

6) Anything else you would like to say?
I really can't afford more than my given budget. As it is it's too much for me right now with some heavy debts to repay and I've to borrow from parents to get this anyway cos my current 4 year old laptop died out of the blue. My now current dead laptop is a HP Pavillion dv6 3049tx bought like 4 years ago, so anything better than that lol but for much less price than I paid then (56k). Not sure if that's possible, probably not...

Last edited:

HBK007

Journeyman
Most of the laptops at this price range come with a single stick of 2 GB RAM, so be sure to add atleast another 2 gigs of RAM as soon as you buy it.
These 3 are worth recommending:
>>Lenovo Essential G580 (59-358313) Laptop (3rd Gen Ci3/ 2GB/ 1TB/ Win8) Rs.34000 Price in India - Buy Lenovo Essential G580 (59-358313) Laptop (3rd Gen Ci3/ 2GB/ 1TB/ Win8) Dark Brown Online - Lenovo: Flipkart.com

>>Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop (3rd Gen Ci3/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Win8) Rs.35850 Price in India - Buy Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop (3rd Gen Ci3/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Win8) Black Online - Dell: Flipkart.com

>>Toshiba Satellite C640-X4213 Laptop (2nd Gen Ci5/ 2GB/ 500GB/ Win7 HB) Rs.31500 Price in India - Buy Toshiba Satellite C640-X4213 Laptop (2nd Gen Ci5/ 2GB/ 500GB/ Win7 HB) Indigo Blue With Tops Pattern Online - Toshiba: Flipkart.com

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Go for this one:
Lenovo Essential G500s(59-383022) Laptop (3rd Gen Ci3/ 2GB/ 1TB/ DOS/ 1GB Graph) Rs.31490 Price in India - Buy Lenovo Essential G500s(59-383022) Laptop (3rd Gen Ci3/ 2GB/ 1TB/ DOS/ 1GB Graph) Online - Lenovo: Flipkart.com
It easily beats the above laptops.

HBK007

Journeyman
Go for this one:
Lenovo Essential G500s(59-383022) Laptop (3rd Gen Ci3/ 2GB/ 1TB/ DOS/ 1GB Graph) Rs.31490 Price in India - Buy Lenovo Essential G500s(59-383022) Laptop (3rd Gen Ci3/ 2GB/ 1TB/ DOS/ 1GB Graph) Online - Lenovo: Flipkart.com
the both are awesome but I was looking form pre-installed windows for OP, but if he can find an installation disc then the ones mentioned by you are lightyears ahead.

OP
I

Innara

Broken In
Go for this one:

Thanks. Two questions:
1. I'd probably want another RAM stick cos this one only comes with 2GB. Which one should I be buying? I know that it has to both be same and match the system or something right?
2. What is the gaming capability of this laptop, if any?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Thanks. Two questions:
1. I'd probably want another RAM stick cos this one only comes with 2GB. Which one should I be buying? I know that it has to both be same and match the system or something right?
2. What is the gaming capability of this laptop, if any?

1.Same CAS Latency and Frequency. You can buy from the shop you will buy the laptop.
2.The best in this budget.

OP
I

Innara

Broken In
Thanks for the help so far. I've been thinking and there are some change of plans.

I've decided to buy a gaming/entertainment PC separately later this year, so I don't need my laptop to be capable of doing that anymore.

So with that in mind, is it possible to get a much cheaper laptop? I still will need it to be fast and good at multitasking Office/Adobe Captivate applications (like mentioned in form I filled), and last for 3 years at least. Is that viable and if so do you have any suggestions for one that is as cheap as possible for my given needs?

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Thanks for the help so far. I've been thinking and there are some change of plans.

I've decided to buy a gaming/entertainment PC separately later this year, so I don't need my laptop to be capable of doing that anymore.

So with that in mind, is it possible to get a much cheaper laptop? I still will need it to be fast and good at multitasking Office/Adobe Captivate applications (like mentioned in form I filled), and last for 3 years at least. Is that viable and if so do you have any suggestions for one that is as cheap as possible for my given needs?

Get an el'cheapo laptop and upgrade it with 4GB RAM(2-3k) and a 128 GB SSD(4-5k) and it will be faster for Office/Adobe Captive applications than 40-50k laptops.

OP
I

Innara

Broken In
Get an el'cheapo laptop and upgrade it with 4GB RAM(2-3k) and a 128 GB SSD(4-5k) and it will be faster for Office/Adobe Captive applications than 40-50k laptops.
Ok but isn't a good processor important for multitasking etc?

OP
I

Innara

Broken In
an i3 will be enough.

What about AMD processors? I'm seeing a lot of cheap laptops have them and don't know if they're good enough. Which are good ones for multitasking? or should I just stick to Intel?

And for SSDs, is there any particular brand I should be looking at?

Last edited:

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
What about AMD processors? I'm seeing a lot of cheap laptops have them and don't know if they're good enough. Which are good ones for multitasking? or should I just stick to Intel?

And for SSDs, is there any particular brand I should be looking at?

For SSD Samsung 840 EVO.

OP
I

Innara

Broken In
Ok I was informed today that i'll be eligible for some refund on my laptop purchase by my office as long as i keep it basic budget ( yeah else i'd just buy a nice highend gaming laptop and pocket the discount :lol:) so I've gone back to considering the lenovo g500s. Then i saw this dell laptop: Dell Vostro 14 V3446 Notebook (4th Gen Ci3/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Ubuntu/ 2 GB Graph) Rs.30640 Price in India - Buy Dell Vostro 14 V3446 Notebook (4th Gen Ci3/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Ubuntu/ 2 GB Graph) Black Online - Dell: Flipkart.com
It already has 4 gb ram and i can install win over ubuntu. Also right now flipkart is offering 3k off on that model. So overall ill be saving like 6k from the lenovo one (3k discount + no ram purchase). Is there any huge reason to not just go for the dell laptop? Will it be fast enough for multitasking?

I know my plans keep changing, but i really appreciate your help!

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Ok I was informed today that i'll be eligible for some refund on my laptop purchase by my office as long as i keep it basic budget ( yeah else i'd just buy a nice highend gaming laptop and pocket the discount :lol:) so I've gone back to considering the lenovo g500s. Then i saw this dell laptop: Dell Vostro 14 V3446 Notebook (4th Gen Ci3/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Ubuntu/ 2 GB Graph) Rs.30640 Price in India - Buy Dell Vostro 14 V3446 Notebook (4th Gen Ci3/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Ubuntu/ 2 GB Graph) Black Online - Dell: Flipkart.com
It already has 4 gb ram and i can install win over ubuntu. Also right now flipkart is offering 3k off on that model. So overall ill be saving like 6k from the lenovo one (3k discount + no ram purchase). Is there any huge reason to not just go for the dell laptop? Will it be fast enough for multitasking?

I know my plans keep changing, but i really appreciate your help!

That core i3 U processor will make you wanna weep when doing anything. Always prefer core i3 M processors.

OP
I

Innara

Broken In
Bare with me little longer, what about comparison between these and Lenovo g500s which is 31.5k + ram cost:

hp-15-d005tu no ram needed, 28k
dell-vostro-2520 no ram needed, 28k
acer-aspire-e1-471 no ram needed, 26k

are they not using the same Processor? So performance should not differ right? Only gpu seems to be worse which is no longer needed for me.
Prices are based on flipkart as they have the 3k discount on select laptops.

Also stupid qn probably but i got back info today on why my old laptop died: motherboard failure as suspected. They say like 10k+ replacement charges so i said no. BUT I'm just wondering should I just do it? Laptop is 4 years old hp pavilion dv6 3049tx if you wanna know specs. It had core i5 too, which is better or worse than these newer core i3?

Top Bottom