Need help with 120k dream gaming setup

monkey

Padawan
Adata is a good brand, XPG is their gaming line-up.

3200MHz is usually the price to performance sweet spot, but anything over 3000MHz is fine. There will be some 2-3% difference maybe.

275R doesn't have a meshed front like CM MB511 or MSI MAG Forge 100M or Deepcool Mattrexx 55 Mesh or cheaper Antec cases.

My recommendation is a mid-tower case, if possible, but mini ITX is not bad per see, just more expensive & bit higher temps all around.

I think OP is saying 275R Airflow which does have meshed front...it has some good reviews too if price is not the issue..

I think OP is saying 275R Airflow which does have meshed front...it has some good reviews too if price is not the issue..
Oh, that one is fine, even though a bit expensive & has just 3 fans included vs 4 in many others like MB511 RGB:
Buy Corsair 275R Airflow Black (CC-9011181-WW) at Best Price in India - mdcomputers.in

In a way with cabinets, its fine to get what you like, provided it has a good air flow & no major flaws, look for negative reviews online. That case is bit smaller as well, so might make up for OP's love for the compact form factor.

Neo

Hey OP, if your looking to build into a mini ITX, I have a brand new H210i which I could give you at a discount. It's brand new - which I bought and never built into (ended up building in h510 )

OP
T

Tumbledoor

Broken In
Thanks @Neo - Could you DM me some photos of the cabinet and the price that you're offering? I'll plug it into Budget 1. I'll be making my choice between mini-ITX and mid-Tower by this weekend, once I visit the local shops.

Curious why you decided to build in an h510 instead of h210i. Also, how is the thermal performance of h510?

Neo

Thanks @Neo - Could you DM me some photos of the cabinet and the price that you're offering? I'll plug it into Budget 1. I'll be making my choice between mini-ITX and mid-Tower by this weekend, once I visit the local shops.

Curious why you decided to build in an h510 instead of h210i. Also, how is the thermal performance of h510?

Yeah I can send u some over whatsapp or something. My original plan was to build into H210i so bought that earlier than other parts. I got busy and after a month I realised I needed 64GB RAM and that won't fit into a mini-ITX so went for mATX build into H510 Elite

Thermals are not that good but not bad either in H510 - I get 45 to 55 C at idle and 70-80 at load. The upside to H510 is its extremely quiet - u can't hear anything at idle and only slight noise as the fans ramp up. I really wanted the ITX but I'm happy with this as well.

OP
T

Tumbledoor

Broken In
Hey folks,

Wasn't able to visit SP Road over the weekend and will do that on Wednesday/Thursday.

I was able to do more research on ITX cases though and it looks like I'm going to drop the idea of an SFF pc for now. I'm not too impressed with the thermal performance of even some of the best ITX cases out there (Coolermaster NR200, SilverStone SG13, SilverStone RVZ03, etc.). All these appear to hit 70 - 85 at full load.

The alternative that I'm now considering is a mid-tower PC with some overclocking on the CPU and the GPU to get 10% - 15% performance boost and bridge some of the gap between the 2070 Super and the upcoming 3070 (which I won't be getting). I know that the thermals will spike if I overclock, but I'm hoping that the mid-tower, with some good coolers/fans will be able to keep temps under 80. For reference, the cabinet that I'm considering (Corsair 275R Airflow) heats to 65 - 70 at full load without overclocking.

I've never overclocked before, but after reading some guides, it seems that manufacturers have made this quite straightforward now. Any advice on this topic will be appreciated!

Would my Mid-Tower build work for overclocking? Sharing the build here again

Screenshot_104.png

Also been reading about B450 vs B550 vs B570. Is B550 really worth the extra investment?

I was able to do more research on ITX cases though and it looks like I'm going to drop the idea of an SFF pc for now. I'm not too impressed with the thermal performance of even some of the best ITX cases out there (Coolermaster NR200, SilverStone SG13, SilverStone RVZ03, etc.). All these appear to hit 70 - 85 at full load.

The alternative that I'm now considering is a mid-tower PC with some overclocking on the CPU and the GPU to get 10% - 15% performance boost and bridge some of the gap between the 2070 Super and the upcoming 3070 (which I won't be getting). I know that the thermals will spike if I overclock, but I'm hoping that the mid-tower, with some good coolers/fans will be able to keep temps under 80. For reference, the cabinet that I'm considering (Corsair 275R Airflow) heats to 65 - 70 at full load without overclocking.

I've never overclocked before, but after reading some guides, it seems that manufacturers have made this quite straightforward now. Any advice on this topic will be appreciated!

Would my Mid-Tower build work for overclocking? Sharing the build here again

View attachment 19402

Also been reading about B450 vs B550 vs B570. Is B550 really worth the extra investment?
It is good conclusion that many form factor PCs will run hotter, like gaming laptops (but not to that extent). Remember that most reviewers usually keep room temp at 21C, so say an ambient temp of 30-35C will put real-life temps as +10-15C over those numbers. Also, many reviewers are running top of the end coolers like a 360mm AIO or so, those are expensive.

I'll say that don't expect 10-15% jump with OC as most manufacturers have been good at extracting as much performance as you can. Ryzen CPUs don't OC well enough like Intel ones do, but Intel ones get a lot hotter & draw a lot of power as well. Usually its not worth the effort.

Yes, B550 is worth the extra investment, esp if you plan to OC or upgrade to higher end CPU later, like maybe R7 4700X. When the temperature of VRMs of a mobo gets too high on load, it can throttle CPU performance or crash the system, as evident with Asus Prime B550 test on R9 3950X OC (2nd pic below). The B350 Tomahawk can be considered as a good indicator for cheap B450 mobos. As said earlier, India has higher ambient temps, so higher temps. But IMO, for R5 3600 or R7, even a cheap Gigabyte B550 DS3H is enough, costs just under 10k. Get MSI B550M Pro VDH WiFi (13.5k) if you want that inbuilt WiFi 5GHz module along with better VRMs.
mobo VRM Budget B550 (1).png

mobo VRM Budget B550 (2).png

Source: Hardware Unboxed

OP
T

Tumbledoor

Broken In
Thanks @omega44-xt , really helpful, as always!

Do you recommend OCing GPUs? In some of the videos/articles, overclocking the 2070S brings it closer and in some cases, on par, with the 2080. Is that worth doing?

In case I go with the overclocking route, will the CoolerMaster HyperX 212 Black be enough for the CPU or would I need a Noctua or an AIO? I also may need to invest in some good case fans if overclocking the GPU, do you have any recommendations?

Thanks @omega44-xt , really helpful, as always!

Do you recommend OCing GPUs? In some of the videos/articles, overclocking the 2070S brings it closer and in some cases, on par, with the 2080. Is that worth doing?

In case I go with the overclocking route, will the CoolerMaster HyperX 212 Black be enough for the CPU or would I need a Noctua or an AIO? I also may need to invest in some good case fans if overclocking the GPU, do you have any recommendations?
For GPU OC, GPU fans, case fans & ventilation of case will matter more. I don't think a 2 fan design like 2070 Super Mini is good for that. Better get a 3 fan one for like 4-5k extra if you plan to OC. I think OC voids warranty, so you have to remove any indication of OC while claiming support.

OP
T

Tumbledoor

Broken In
Would the Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Windforce OC 3x 8GB be a good candidate for overclocking?

All other cards from manufacturers like MSI, Zotac and Asus are 50k+ and that's definitely over my budget. Not sure if Inno3D, Colorful and Galax are considered good brands for GPUs.

Last edited:
Would the Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Windforce OC 3x 8GB be a good candidate for overclocking?

All other cards from manufacturers like MSI, Zotac and Asus are 50k+ and that's definitely over my budget. Not sure if Inno3D, Colorful and Galax are considered good brands for GPUs.
Link not working

Gigabyte RTX 2070 SUPER Gaming OC 8G Review - KitGuru

They got decent OC on it:
Gigabyte RTX 2070 SUPER Gaming OC 8G Review - KitGuru

OP
T

Tumbledoor

Broken In
Also, can someone help me understand the differences between these four MSI motherboards? They look almost identical to me, with the MSI MAG 550 Mortar being the winner due to extra Wifi support. Am I missing something?

MSI B550-A PRO Motherboard @ 14,990
ATX motherboard
Lets you overclock your ram to 4400 Hz
Supports PCEI 4.0 (for faster NVME drives and future GPU compatibility)
No wifi
4 DDR4 slots, supports up to 128GB ram

MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk @ 17,750
ATX motherboard
Lets you overclock your ram to 5100 Hz
No wifi

MSI MAG B550M Mortat w Wifi @ 17,050
Micro-ATX motherboard, smaller form factor
Has wifi 6.0 in addition to LAN
Runs the coolest (looking at the above charts)

MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus @ 16,050
no wifi

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also, can someone help me understand the differences between these four MSI motherboards? They look almost identical to me, with the MSI MAG 550 Mortar being the winner due to extra Wifi support. Am I missing something?
Check the above pics posted by @omega44-xt The main difference lies in the quality of VRMs which in turn decides their thermal performance.(aka lower quality VRMs heat more & at faster speed).

MSI B550-A PRO Motherboard @ 14,990
ATX motherboard
No wifi

MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk @ 17,750
ATX motherboard
Lets you overclock your ram to 5100 Hz
No wifi

MSI MAG B550M Mortat w Wifi @ 17,050
Micro-ATX motherboard, smaller form factor
Has wifi 6.0 in addition to LAN
Runs the coolest (looking at the above charts)

MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus @ 16,050
no wifi
Tomahawk should be the best in terms of VRMs, but IMO MSI B550 Pro VDH WiFi is sufficient for you as you are going with R5 3600. Even if you upgrade to something like R9 3900X, it should be fine without any OC (check pics posted earlier for VRM temps).

MSI B550M PRO-VDH WIFI MOTHERBOARD

Higher end boards have other small difference as well, like USB ports, type C port (& header for front connecter), M.2 SSD heat sink (1 for Pro VDH vs 2 for Tomahawk), RGB, etc.

OP
T

Tumbledoor

Broken In
Hi folks, thanks for all the help so far. Definitely feel as if i'm close to finalizing the rig.

Couple of last points I'd like some advice on -
  1. Why choose Nvidia RTX 2070 Super over Radion RX 5700X when the RX5700X is about 6k - 8k cheaper and, on average, is below the 2070S by 5fps @ 1440p resolution
  2. Which card is more OC friendly between the 2070S and the 5700X?
  3. Would a 650W power supply be sufficient for the configuration, keeping overclocking in mind?

Hi folks, thanks for all the help so far. Definitely feel as if i'm close to finalizing the rig.

Couple of last points I'd like some advice on -
  1. Why choose Nvidia RTX 2070 Super over Radion RX 5700X when the RX5700X is about 6k - 8k cheaper and, on average, is below the 2070S by 5fps @ 1440p resolution
  2. Which card is more OC friendly between the 2070S and the 5700X?
  3. Would a 650W power supply be sufficient for the configuration, keeping overclocking in mind?
1. Where are you finding RX 5700XT for 6-8k cheaper? Mostly its just 2-4k cheaper compared to cheap 2070 Supers (41-44k vs 38-42k). RTX 2070 Super has ray tracing & DLSS. Ray tracing implementation is not great but at least there's something. DLSS 2.0 is very promising to boost fps in supported games, it uses AI to render at lower resolution, then upscale it (example - a game will be rendered at 1440p then upscaled to 4K & adds some trickery to get image quality almost close to native 4K rendering). In US, 2070S is $500 vs 5700XT's $400, that big gap is enough to recommend 5700XT. Here, its too close.

2. Generally AMD ones OC better, but as said earlier, don't expect more than 10% or so improvement as most manufacturers are already trying to squeeze out all the performance.

3. 500W will suffice for stock parts, 650W Gold rated PSU should be fine for some OC over it.

Top Bottom