Need Help to buy a New Reliable all round Performer Laptop (Affordable)

OP
L

lifer1

Broken In
You can get away with any modern iGPU for OTT, browser handles widevine certification IIRC.
Read somewhere settings need to be tweaked to get dGPU going for multimedia like forcing the system to use GPU for multimedia to improve quality and reduce choppiness.

Netflix account seems to have some titles with 10 bit 4K. If I know the ‘how to’ may come handy.
True 4K monitors aren't cheap + in a way its required only for HDR content, again true HDR monitor/TV aren't cheap. I'll say LG OLED TVs are the cheapest ones at 1.2L, but even those have some cons.

Well ended up buying 2076ax one with almost double the initial budget. Keeping the search open was like misery. Things weren’t moving as I would have liked. It’s 11 ready as the manufacturer’s site listed. Was looking at ideapad 5 ryzen 5700u and got stretched to 5800H. Two firsts 1) First AMD for someone who always heard about how inferior AMD is 2) First machine with a dGPU. Any inputs to make use of this for OTT High Quality watching would be welcome.

Well Im into teething trouble. Didn’t think even on 15 inches there would be scaling options with neither 100% nor recommended 125% would be big enough.

Don’t know why I’m unable to set one finger edge scrolling on this …like and prefer single finger edge scrolling on touchpad (it always seems like how much you spend you are forced to compromise and tolerate). This seems to be cheap elan compared to synaptics and hasn’t got ‘clickpad settings’ to set this right. If this is some software omission and can be corrected please help me.
What did you buy & at what price?

I'm fine with 125% scaling on my 15" laptop display.

OP
L

lifer1

Broken In
True 4K monitors aren't cheap + in a way its required only for HDR content, again true HDR monitor/TV aren't cheap. I'll say LG OLED TVs are the cheapest ones at 1.2L, but even those have some cons.
Less likely to get new monitor or anything to expand modularly. OLED would have been great at laptop level but I was told here it wasn’t necessary. XPS 15 might have been in contention then or some 2.2 k display laptops. But those laptops in Lenovo were less than 1.6kg and lacked some other requirements.

OP
L

lifer1

Broken In
What did you buy & at what price?

I'm fine with 125% scaling on my 15" laptop display.
125% is recommended but still small.

Model is ec2076ax, HP pavilion. ~90k(fk).

On a quick search noticed there were some complaints online about missing one finger edge scrolling on touchpads (esp. precision touchpads) due to flaws in 8.1 or 10 windows in implementing device drivers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom