Need Help to buy a New Reliable all round Performer Laptop (Affordable)

lifer1

Broken In
Hi All

My laptop is almost dead with IC on charge port short and it seems entire motherboard needs to be replaced apart from dysfunctional battery(non removable) bulge. Need to buy a laptop to replace it ASAP.
please help me with your pearls of wisdom.

1) What is your budget? (INR or USD)

42k to 50k. Max 56k if ticks most if not all of the checklist.

2) What size & weight consideration (if any) would you prefer?

• Netbook; 11" - 10” screen or less
  • Thin and Light; 12" - 14" screen
  • Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
  • Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

Thin and light but reasonably mainstream; 15 to 16 inch. I’m habituated to 15.4/15.6 display. Would it be comfortable working with 14?

3) What are the primary tasks you will be performing with this notebook?

Documentation, Reading & Analysis/ Research work(includes Browsing with multiple tabs and windows with internet browser for eg used to keep 12 windows and 655 tabs open in the current laptop(impossible with FF but with chrome) at one point, video calls, OTT quality video streaming, video and audio consumption. Occasional coding/running testing software, gaming.

5) Any typical configuration in your mind you're eying for ?

No typical configuration. What I think is may be RAM >=8GB, ssd atleast in part for the OS, it’s hard to find >512GB HD in SSD. Would be good to have something for graphics.

[8GB RAM with 1TB HDD(current HP X360 envy). ]

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

a. Like:

b. Dislike:

No brand is good enough to LIKE in my experience.

Hp ok, may also consider Lenova, dell.

6) Anything else you would like to say?

• Screen resolution ( 768p (HD) / 900p / 1080p (Full HD) )
  • Battery back up ( normal (3-4hrs) / extended (5-7hrs) )
  • Purchase place ( Online (eg - flipkart, infibeam) / Local / Abroad (do mention the country) )
Full HD OLED/IPS; have never been satisfied with battery backup or quality of battery itself earlier so it’s not a criterion.

Online, like flipkart, Amazon(have prime membership) within India …..don’t have experience with other sites so trust factor may come into the picture.

Good computing power(>=i5), system that doesn’t feel like a snail while in use. Connectivity options like sd card reader, usb c with power delivery, normal USB’s, 3.5 Audio jack etc(don’t want to be nastily surprised with lack of connectivity options)

Screen should be ideal for long reading hours and also excellent for high quality video consumption ……ergonomic/easy on eyes(anti-glare or whatever is needed). Audio(speakers) has never satisfied in earlier models and in current model speaker became dysfunctional after connecting to a Bluetooth speaker, so good audio and volume and a reliable in-built speaker.

Ergonomic keyboard and touchpad.

When I try to adjust the angle of screen, the lid of the laptop should not fold up in the front or slide down in the back. (current convertible was culprit).

Not looking for touchscreen convertible …..previous one was accidental purchase and was a pain. Screen cracked four times, except one time there was no reason to—this is also one reason I dislike one metal piece carved laptop. Could be carbon fiber or something. Want laptop to be reliable.

Not likely to upgrade components like RAM/HDD. Whatever is available on the machine should be good enough.

Do laptops come in colours other than black or silver?

Discounted models for HDFC credit card would be great if available.

Thanks again for reading and trying to help me.

Last edited:

K_akash_i

Journeyman
if u want thin and light a ryzen 5500u or i5 11th would be good
hp 15
acer aspire 5
although i dont know how many chrome tabs it would open
This can be used for light gaming ,maybe some games run at low resolution/low fps
gaming/performance:
lenovo ideapad gaming 3 (i5 10th +gtx1650)-its at 57.5 k but has additional 1500 inr discount on hdfc cards august sale(prolly will also be in other shopping sites),so it will come down to 56k
note:if u can push to 60 buy a ryzen 4600h+gtx 1650 laptop

OP
L

lifer1

Broken In
if u want thin and light a ryzen 5500u or i5 11th would be good
hp 15
acer aspire 5
although i dont know how many chrome tabs it would open
This can be used for light gaming ,maybe some games run at low resolution/low fps
gaming/performance:
lenovo ideapad gaming 3 (i5 10th +gtx1650)-its at 57.5 k but has additional 1500 inr discount on hdfc cards august sale(prolly will also be in other shopping sites),so it will come down to 56k
note:if u can push to 60 buy a ryzen 4600h+gtx 1650 laptop
Thanks Akash. After seeing your post I had some doubts and queries so presenting here.

For high quality video/multi media consumption, do we need discrete graphical processor unit?

None of the three options include CD/DVD/blue ray drive it seems. It’s not a must though.

Also I believe FHD is the best we could aim for in laptop display and the next best 4K UHD is suitable for bigger sized monitors—is that correct? Also if one wants oled display what’s the budget we’re looking at or is it possible in the current budget?

Ryzen numbering: Would have thought 5500u > 4600h sort of confusing. I believe onyx is what you refer to by Ryzen 4600h+gtx 1650? In fact I have never used AMD, always was told it was junk or inferior now hearing some buzz about Ryzen series. Would it be safe to use this? Some say it can go bust if one wrong movement breaks its pins? It’s less reliable and failure prone and all.

Lenova ideapad gaming 3i: Not sure if it has SD card reader. It’s a must for me. Does it have USB C power delivery port meaning it can be used to charge phone? I only see reference to ‘data transfer only’. I’m looking for this charging provision, possible ?

Also Weight 2.2 kg and has 1 TB HDD no SSD.

Thanks.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
^ Ok first of all I want to tell you that all AMD processors are safe. Whoever says AMD is dangerous or fragile or overheats really doesn't know about processors and just echoing whatever they have heard from other people. You pick any article from google about AMD and you won't find anything like it breaks/explode/melts/fries/evaporates and damage itself and/or entire PC. Don't believe blindly, whatever people say, just read about it on internet.

Few suggestions from my side:
1. DVD drive, if you want a slim laptop with better IO ports then you can skip on this. Any product which comes with CD for installation also has their website where you want find the respective software/drivers.

2. Speakers will not be satisfied in any laptop so it will be better if you save a bit more money and buy wired laptop speakers separately. It won't take much space on desk and also provide better audio quality. Or even better if you can buy headphones.

OP
L

lifer1

Broken In
Have checked other two models with Ryzen 5 5500u.

HP lacks IPS panel, rj45, backlit KB.

Acer aspire has poor reviews for speakers for brighter backlit.

Any other idea ? Is there any DELL recco?

Only recently I felt the severe lack of USB C especially power delivery (in current one) which in technical parlance seems to be Thunderbolt 4, sometimes Thunderbolt 3. Any inputs on this?

K_akash_i

Journeyman
gpu is for graphical intensive tasks such as gaming or video editing etc ..i'm unsure just watching videos would switch to dgpu, radeon(igpu) will be fine for that.
5500u is the latest gen ,its predecessor is 4500u(all U series are power efficiency based) H' signifies high performance 4600h is a previous gen processor but its a bit more powerful its continuation is 5600h laptops ,those will be at much higher cost
u dont actually need OLED for laptop at the same time IPS is preferred
cd/dvd drive is mostly unavailable on new laptops for them to be thin
(u can use a usb to card reader dongle to tackle card reader options)
then there is an upcoming launch of some redmi notebook 14 which will have thunderbolt (although i dont prefer that )
lenovo laptop has a 512 ssd model also for 60k , u can buy that or buy the 1tb hdd one and install an ssd coz it has an ssd slot .It is heavy yes because is a gaming laptop(performance oriented so it will need cooling) as u said u will also be using it to play games occasionally

OP
L

lifer1

Broken In
Hi

Torn between light weight and performance. Would have preferred features within 1.6 kg, gaming components change the scale to 2.2 kg+. Recently it was said someone was bringing featured laptops under 1 kg which would be great because with less and less weight when combined with mainstream features….would be ideal.

Backlit won’t be a big criterion for me. But due to personal limitations I won’t be able to follow “BUY FIRST, UPGRADE/CUSTOMISE LATER”. So I’d like to have ‘must haves’ at the purchase itself. Unlike dongle for card reader it’s said motherboard needs to be thunderbolt 4 compliant. Akash, you don’t prefer thunderbolt or MI? any reason?

Thesloth thanks for your inputs. Yes willing to skip drive, most informal things could be transferred on pendrive. Like floppy drives they may also fade. Speakers volume if they can add to laptops would be nice. HP with hyped up BANG & OLUFSEN had poor volume and it also started to output low volume garbled crackling after using with a Bluetooth speaker for a few times. But earphones worked ok. These days even phones have good volume than laptops ….my perception.

Any alternative or similar or equivalent HP option that may have IPS for display?
Anybody on here have personal experience with acer in general and the model suggested?

This the best choice under 45k IMO:
*www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0928SZKL1/

Or get HP 14 with R5 5500U. HP 14 models are actually built better than HP 15 models.

OP
L

lifer1

Broken In
This the best choice under 45k IMO:
*www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0928SZKL1/

Or get HP 14 with R5 5500U. HP 14 models are actually built better than HP 15 models.
Hi omega44 thanks but currently this is listed as 54250. Weight around 1.46kg and IPS display plus, but 14 inch may be a bit cramped and this is step down from 5th gen to 3rd gen. Reviews also say laptop is slow.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Oops in that case I stand corrected. I went with difference between the numbers 3 & 5 thinking they represent generations but they represent cores. Thanks SaiyanGoku.
No, that's just the naming scheme and doesn't represents the number of cores.

*www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Ryzen-3-5300U-Processor-Benchmarks-and-Specs.511020.0.html

OP
L

lifer1

Broken In
Hi

If gaming is light, occasional and not competitive gaming competing with others, and not wanting to play at the highest Frame Per seconds then would a DGPU be needed? If no, what integrated GPU would be excellent for watching high quality media content like Netflix, prime, Hotstar and also doing basic gaming?

Came across this thinkpad E15 while searching for thunderbolt support:

Amazon.in: Buy Lenovo ThinkPad E15 (2021) Intel Core i5 11th Gen 15.6-inch (39.62 cm)FHD Thin and Light Laptop (8GB RAM/512GB SSD/Windows 10/MS Office/Fingerprint Reader/Black/Aluminium Surface/ 1.7 kg), 20TDS0G700 Online at Low Prices in India | Lenovo Reviews & Ratings

First issue would be budget. Keeping that concern aside can anyone give inputs on this model? How about build, reliablility, performance ? It seems to have thunderbolt, card reader, even light weight, concerns are budget and lack of dGPU. Isn’t there anything similar but also with basic dGPU around 60k or so or even around 70k? Seems like expensive business laptops do possess thunderbolt. Another space was some asus/acer and LG light weight under 70k.

Another doubt, can someone who is habituated to 15.6 display settle comfortably without discomfort for a 14 inch display?

Last edited:
Hi

If gaming is light, occasional and not competitive gaming competing with others, and not wanting to play at the highest Frame Per seconds then would a DGPU be needed? If no, what integrated GPU would be excellent for watching high quality media content like Netflix, prime, Hotstar and also doing basic gaming?

Came across this thinkpad E15 while searching for thunderbolt support:

Amazon.in: Buy Lenovo ThinkPad E15 (2021) Intel Core i5 11th Gen 15.6-inch (39.62 cm)FHD Thin and Light Laptop (8GB RAM/512GB SSD/Windows 10/MS Office/Fingerprint Reader/Black/Aluminium Surface/ 1.7 kg), 20TDS0G700 Online at Low Prices in India | Lenovo Reviews & Ratings

First issue would be budget. Keeping that concern aside can anyone give inputs on this model? How about build, reliablility, performance ? It seems to have thunderbolt, card reader, even light weight, concerns are budget and lack of dGPU. Isn’t there anything similar but also with basic dGPU around 60k or so or even around 70k? Seems like expensive business laptops do possess thunderbolt. Another space was some asus/acer and LG light weight under 70k.

Another doubt, can someone who is habituated to 15.6 display settle comfortably without discomfort for a 14 inch display?
Lenovo ThinkPad E15 Gen 2 Review: Tiger Lake laptop with an Nvidia GeForce MX450

Gaming laptops won't be light & have poor battery life. HP Victus with RTX 3050+R5 5600H is easily the best gaming laptop under 75k.

Something cheap:
Amazon.in: Buy Lenovo IdeaPad Gaming 3 AMD Ryzen 5 4600H 15.6" (39.63cm) FHD IPS Gaming Laptop (8GB/512GB SSD/Windows10/NVIDIA GTX 1650 4GB/120Hz Refresh Display/Onyx Black/2.2Kg), 82EY00UAIN + Xbox Game Pass for PC Online at Low Prices in India | Lenovo Reviews & Ratings

OP
L

lifer1

Broken In
Battery backup is not a criterion fot. Whatever is claimed I have always got just about 2 hours in first month, then goes down to 1+ hour in six months and half an hour after 1 year and from there in a few months may be 2 to 5 minutes and subsequently zero.

But weight is a definite criterion.

Connectivity, less weight and all round performance are the criteria!

can any one confirm what is the use of ordinary USB C if the laptop doesn’t have thunderbolt 4/3 with usb charging for the laptop itself?

Top Bottom