Not open for further replies.

k_mridul

Broken In
hi
my pc config :-
P4 2.4 Ghz HT @ 800 Mhz
Intel Mother Board 865GBF
256 MB DDR RAM @ 400Mhz

i hav got new DDR RAM (Transcend 512 MB @ 400Mhz) and as my motherboard supports Dual Channel RAM, i want implement it.

but before i do anything i want to be sure abt the compatibility of RAM for Dual Channel

my old RAM is of Hynix chip and new one is Samsung chip and also the old one is 256 MB and new one is 512 MB but the bus speed is same 400 MHz ..... will they produce any problem if i apply them for dual channel

and one more thing in my motherboard all 4 slots of RAM are of black color, paired by channel (channel A DIMM 0, channel A DIMM 1, channel B DIMM 0, channel B DIMM 1) so i want to insure that fixing RAM in channel A DIMM 0 and channel B DIMM 0 will make them work as dual channel or some other combination.

pls help as soon as possible ..... thanks

nishant_nms

Cyborg Agent
Your RAMs will not work in dual channel mode for that u need identical RAMs better say of same make and model and about the placements of RAM sticks u r right

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
To make RAM run in dual channel mode, both chips have to be of the same size and frequency. You can't run a 256 MB and a 512 MB chip together in dual channel.

ymhatre

Ambassador of Buzz
I guess u r satisfied with what mehta n nishant have to say.
Its the common answer
Even me too was going to say the same...

OP
k_mridul

k_mridul

Broken In
though its sad that i cant use this combination as dual channel but anyways thanks a lot for the information.

btw if i use this combination will there be any problem in normal functioning of system, i mean, will there be any compatibility issue even if they dont support dual-channel.

i also hav one more 256 MB DDR RAM @ 266Mhz, can i use it along with the above combination.

also pls tell me which Slot should i use for each RAM module to get best working combination.

(for my pc config pls see the first post)

thanks

nishant_nms

Cyborg Agent
U can use the first 2 RAMs with each other without any problem. But when u will add the 3rd 266 one all the RAMs will be underclocked to 266 MHz.

OP
k_mridul

k_mridul

Broken In
ok i got that but what abt the Slots i mean which slot should i use for 512MB@400 & 256MB@400 to get best possible performance.

~

thanks

mav3r1ck

Broken In
k_mridul said:
ok i got that but what abt the Slots i mean which slot should i use for 512MB@400 & 256MB@400 to get best possible performance.
~
thanks

@k_mridul,
since u can't enable dual channel mode, the best option for u would be to insert the sticks in channel A DIMM 0 and DIMM 1 or channel B DIMM 0 and DIMM 1, whichever suits u.

PS: sell that 256 MB stick and buy a 512 MB stick, ur sytem will have 1GB RAM running in DUAL CHANNEL mode. :wink:

cha.

OP
k_mridul

k_mridul

Broken In
thanks mav3r1ck and all others

i got one more qs in my mind and that is
like in my case RAM combiantion dosen't support dual-channel but motherboard does, so what will happen when these RAM are plug into the dual-channel slots (i.e. Channel A DIMM 0 & Channel B DIMM 0)
will there be any conflict leading to damage RAM or the motherboard
or it might work but how different will be the performance in comparison with the combination of single-channel (i.e. Channel A DIMM 0 & Channel A DIMM 1)

i hav already installed RAM as told by mav3r1ck
but still i want to know why a particular combination is superior than the other and under what circumstances.

thanks again

grinning_devil

Cyborg Agent
no conflict or anything,will work like a normal set of RAM's in single channel mode.

no particular combination is better in terms of performance,but sure i'll suggest you place them as far apart as possible (1st and 4th slot) if possible as it will surely help in better air circulation and good airflow.

prankie

D PrankMaster
hey,
I have 256MB DDR400 RAM, i don't have a graphics card so 64MB of the memory is shared..
If i buy onemore 256MB RAM, then will i be able to run my RAM in dualchannel mode?
will shared ram pose any problem????

Tushar.bar

Journeyman
drvarunmehta said:
To make RAM run in dual channel mode, both chips have to be of the same size and frequency. You can't run a 256 MB and a 512 MB chip together in dual channel.
same size! no u can use boath ram even they r diffarant size i use one 256 and 128 in dual mode

nishant_nms

Cyborg Agent
prankie said:
whether you will be able to use the feature of dual channel solely depends on motherboard.Which m'board are u using??
I use Gigabyte GA-K8VM800M

Sorry man I am also using the same board and it doesn't supports dual channel. It has got only two slots for RAM. So I would suggest u to get at least 512 MB stick. Because in future there will be no other slot to add any extra RAM. Bad news for both of us :cry:

nishant_nms

Cyborg Agent
Tushar.bar said:
drvarunmehta said:
same size! no u can use boath ram even they r diffarant size i use one 256 and 128 in dual mode

Are u sure

ymhatre

Ambassador of Buzz
HOW much is the boost in the performance when we use DUAL channel..
aslo Does my mobo P5RD1 Vm Supports dual channel???

OP
k_mridul

k_mridul

Broken In
Tushar.bar said:
drvarunmehta said:

can u tell me how did u installed RAM ..... and how shud i install my RAM to get them in dual-channel mode.

~

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom