need help regarding laptop purchase

rohan.kwatra

Journeyman
my looking for a laptop with a max budget of 60k...........i hve settled for the new xps 15 with i7 2630qm,6gb ram,(1366x768) WLED display,gt540 2gb.....i wanted to noe if there is anything better available for this price range in india........and is the i7 worth going in for.........my basic needs are gaming and multimedia and will be carrying it to my college this year( planning on comp sc engineering)............please help is it a good choice?

OP
R

rohan.kwatra

Journeyman
ya it has 1 year complete cover...........any idea about how much is the performance diff. in the core i7 2630qm and i5 2410 and also the respective battery life with them?????

OP
R

rohan.kwatra

Journeyman
what asus models are u referring to????please provide a link............i heard they hve nvidia gt520 which is very bad..............
by the way any news on how the new sony vaio cb series is........it is worth considering????

amit3987

Broken In
by the way any news on how the new sony vaio cb series is........it is worth considering????

The vaio cb series has been launched and you will get it around 55-56K... but it has the i5 proccy plus it has a standard battery.. Also it has annoying glowing colours which for some weird reasons are kept on display in Croma....

If you are considering using the lappy for a time frame of 3-4 years, Id suggest you go for the i7 as its just a Rs.3000/- upgrade...

Also I have seen that Dell have increased the base price of the std. i5 model on their site... so Id recommend you to start customizing with the i3 base model.... it gave me a difference of 2K for the same config.
Also try getting the 1080p screen... though I havent seen it yet(my order is still in progress)... from what I have heard its awesome...

OP
R

rohan.kwatra

Journeyman
oh...i trying configuring all ways the i5 one gives the lowest price because it has the ram upgrade included..........i hve heard that 1080p screen is a problem during general work as everything is displayed small......(i hve experienced this myself at the dell store)....and also since gt540 cannot run games at 1080p with good frame rates m not much in a favour of getting it(though m still thinking over it and its delaying my booking date)........
and u r right about the i7 3k upgrade will definitely b worth it...m surely going for that.......

and about the cb series just check out the black color thats pretty normal looking i saw it at the sony exclusive store at nehru place........

Last edited:

amit3987

Broken In
oh...i trying configuring all ways the i5 one gives the lowest price because it has the ram upgrade included..........
ohh.. yeah. I had opted for 4GB RAM while going thru the i3 route as it was more than enough for my usage... Although am not sure that you would experiene much of a performance difference between the 4GB and 6GB configs... in future always you could get a new 4GB stick and apply that...
The main reason I asked to go via the i3 route was bcoz Dell recently increased the price of the i5 base model by about 2k...

i hve heard that 1080p screen is a problem during general work as everything is displayed small......(i hve experienced this myself at the dell store)

personally I havent seen the 1080p screen of the XPS yet.... but a friend of mine has a studio with a 1080p screen and I found it quite usable... It may seem strange initially... Also there is always an option of lowering the resolution... the 1080p would give you an advantage in PS and playing movies...
and also since gt540 cannot run games at 1080p with good frame rates m not much in a favour of getting it(though m still thinking over it and its delaying my booking date)........

I agree that its a mid-range GPU, but if you are a casual gamer it is enough.. I have read about people playing quite a few games on 1080p...
Also if you really need a good GPU... Id suggest you wait for the HP 6xxx quad edition series... It has AMD 6770 which is quite good... although price and performance of this system is not known now...

I also checked the vaio series.. but honestly the lack of reviews for vaio, the 1080p screen and less powerful GPU made me order the XPS...

OP
R

rohan.kwatra

Journeyman
ya i also liked the screen wen i saw movies and stuff.........thats y still thinking will decide finally 2mm ..........
i found some reviews from pc world on the vaio they say its good but xps ratings are way too better to ignore
regarding the hp 1 i heard hp laptops are having loads of issues now a days and its better to stay away the hp 6 series ur talking about is available in us for under 800$ here check this out
Best deal and Coupon HP Pavilion dv6 & dv6t Quad Edition Core i7 Laptop review - LogicBUY

amit3987

Broken In
ya i also liked the screen wen i saw movies and stuff.........thats y still thinking will decide finally 2mm ..........
i found some reviews from pc world on the vaio they say its good but xps ratings are way too better to ignore
regarding the hp 1 i heard hp laptops are having loads of issues now a days and its better to stay away the hp 6 series ur talking about is available in us for under 800$ here check this out
Best deal and Coupon HP Pavilion dv6 & dv6t Quad Edition Core i7 Laptop review - LogicBUY

I know about this....
the thing was I needed a lappy by the month end and the release date of HP was not fixed... so bought XPS.....
Also where did you hear about the issues of the Hp lappy... afaik most people are yet to receive it....
btw where you planning to get the lappy from

OP
R

rohan.kwatra

Journeyman
m planning to order it online or if i go for the vaio i will purchase it from nehru place new delhi..........dont noe m not comfortable with the hp idea....i was talking to the salesperson at the hp store they were most disinterested about the second gen core i processor laptops they even said there was no news what so ever of the new dv6 or dv4 ones all they had was a g series with corei5................

OP
R

rohan.kwatra

Journeyman
hey guys got my xps 15 booked today for 67k
didnt go for the 1080p cant find much use of it on 15.6 in screen
i7 2630qm,gt540,500gb hdd,6gb ram,extended warranty to 2 yrs, antivirus 15 months,bluetooth mouse,targus 16 bag..............couldnt find a better deal

amit3987

Broken In
hey guys got my xps 15 booked today for 67k
didnt go for the 1080p cant find much use of it on 15.6 in screen
i7 2630qm,gt540,500gb hdd,6gb ram,extended warranty to 2 yrs, antivirus 15 months,bluetooth mouse,targus 16 bag..............couldnt find a better deal

Hi Rohan,
Congrats on the purchase.
Did you buy the additional accessories like the Bag, mouse , etc. or did they give it to you for free ?

Also what is your EDD ?

@Amit

How much did you order your XPS for ?

I got it for 64K...
Specs in my sig...

OP
R

rohan.kwatra

Journeyman
i got the bag and mouse free with the extended warranty and antivirus..........they said 10-15 days but my order has still not been updated on the site

Kristrtis

Right off the assembly line
If you want to buy a laptop with a great brand and with a lot of features then i will recommend you to go with toshiba because it is a well known brand as we all knows and you should trust of toshiba..

*couponmega.org/toshiba-coupons-code-toshiba-promo-code-exclusive-deals/

Last edited:
Top Bottom