Need Help in selecting a graphic card

sam970605

Broken In
Alright, So I'm in bit of a situation here.
My current specs are:

Intel i3 2120 (I know, not the best choice)
Asus Nividia GeForce 210 1Gb DDR3
WD 1TB Hdd
4GB Ram
Intel DH16WW Motherboard
And the power supply is the default one that I got with my cabinet. It's not very powerful.

So I only have money for upgrading the Ram and the GPU. I plan to add 8GB more Ram to this. Can anyone please suggest a graphic card to replace the 210 which will be able to support AAA titles. Mainly, The Witcher 3, Batman Arkham Knight, Far Cry 4 and Primal, Dying Light, and other games that I haven't been able to play these last couple of years. Also I'd be running these games in 1280x720 most probably. Not much keen on higher resolutions. And I can do with med-low quality for the games.
Now the issue is that I can't budget in money for a new GPU and Cabinet. So the graphic card probably would have to run on the existing specs.

What would be the best option to go with under these circumstances?. Also, a noob here, So can anyone tell me is it possible to change your PSU without changing the cabinet?

And another unrelated question, Does anyone know if I can run RUST with my existing specs?

I'd really appreciate any answers to the above queries.

Last edited:

Nerevarine

Incarnate
lmao, why would you even use a GT210 with a i3 2120, the intel HD 2000, is far better than GT210 and overclockable too

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
@OP, your current config is suited for HTPC and will bottleneck current gen GPUs (seriously, don't play at 720p med-low settings on PC, consoles peasants do that). Best course of action would be to get a new system altogether.

The power supply, which you said is default one from the cabinet, will end up frying the PC sooner or later.

The cabinet itself might not be spacious enough to properly house a new GPU or have sufficient airflow, cable management.

You should've mentioned the budget before asking for upgrade.

For GTA V, you'll need at least a GTX 770 to play this game with playable frame rates on LOW settings.

Do you even read what you post?

Grand Theft Auto V | System Requirements | GeForc

Minimum System Requirements
OS: Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Windows 8 64 Bit, Windows 7 64 Bit Service Pack 1, Windows Vista 64 Bit Service Pack 2* (*NVIDIA video card recommended if running Vista OS)
Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs) / AMD Phenom 9850 Quad-Core Processor (4 CPUs) @ 2.5GHz
Memory: 4GB
Video Card: NVIDIA 9800 GT 1GB / AMD HD 4870 1GB (DX 10, 10.1, 11)
Sound Card: 100% DirectX 10 compatible
HDD Space: 65GB
DVD Drive

Recommended System Requirements
OS: Windows 8.1 64 Bit, Windows 8 64 Bit, Windows 7 64 Bit Service Pack 1
Processor: Intel Core i5 3470 @ 3.2GHZ (4 CPUs) / AMD X8 FX-8350 @ 4GHZ (8 CPUs)
Memory: 8GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GTX 660 2GB / AMD HD7870 2GB
Sound Card: 100% DirectX 10 compatible
HDD Space: 65GB
DVD Drive

Last edited:
OP
S

sam970605

Broken In
@OP, your current config is suited for HTPC and will bottleneck current gen GPUs (seriously, don't play at 720p med-low settings on PC, consoles peasants do that). Best course of action would be to get a new system altogether.

The power supply, which you said is default one from the cabinet, will end up frying the PC sooner or later.

The cabinet itself might not be spacious enough to properly house a new GPU or have sufficient airflow, cable management.

You should've mentioned the budget before asking for upgrade.

I'm sorry, it must have skipped my mind. I can afford to spend 15k max for the Ram and GPU combined. So deducting money for the ram, the GPU's budget is about 12k. And I do understand that upgrading the whole system would be preferable, but unfortunately beggars can't be choosers. So can you please help with a recommendation for any GPU that might work in this case? Any suggestions would help
Also, Can you please tell me what do you mean when you say that my current config will bottleneck the current gen GPUs? Does it mean that they'll not perform as good as the could with better config?
The problem is that I won't be able to put together more money that I already have for this and so I'd just want to settle for playing the games that I mentioned however I can.

Thank you for any and all help.
And lastly, you words make me wonder if you're perhaps a 9gager.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your POWER supply is not enough to handle power hungry graphic cards.

As your cpu is a basically dual core cpu lots of games performance will be bottle necked by this. Because the cpu can't handle the performance of a too powerful gpu. So you won't be able to get the full performance out of the gpu.

The only silver lining you have here is your resolution which will be limited to 1280 * 720p. So get a 4GB Ram, a Antec 450W PSU and still you will have Rs. 10.5K left. With that money you can get a RX 460 2GB GDDR5 card.

No need for an upgrade now ;) game on.

OP
S

sam970605

Broken In
Hey, thank you for the help.
Just one question. I have checked the specs of my default PSU and it says 500Watt, Is it not better than buying a 450W PSU?.
I just compared the Antec one with my current GPU and they have all the same specs except for wattage. So I'm good in the PSU department, right?

Top Bottom