Need help in choosing the best laptop for me by December 2011!

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
The GPU RAM is the amount of RAM the GPU has at its disposal. Unless the graphics card is really high end (even better than 6770 or 555gt) dont expect any real world gains in the performance with doubling of ram.

Its the GPU itself that counts for the most part. it just needs to have enough ram so that its not bottlenecked. 555gt is better because it is simply a faster card than 540gt.

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
And another thing...I might seem to be a noob here...but can someone tell me whats the advantage of a 2GB GPU over a 1GB one?...i mean...does that mean that a 2GB combi wud give double the processing power?....for example...the 1GB 555M is supposed to be twice as powerful as a 540M one...so...if I use a 2GB combi of 540, wud it give me a there-abouts performance of the 555 if not equal???!!:oops: :duh2::noob:
1GB or 20GB. 540M is 40% slower than 555M.

540M isn't fast enough to utilize even the 1 GB VRAM.

If a graphic cards isn't fast enough to utilize the extra memory, its of no use.

Example, you can do 5 maths question in a minute (GPU speed). You are given paper enough for only 3 questions (GPU RAM). So now you'll have to do the first 3 ques and then get more paper (Free up RAM) than do the remaining 2 (Speed limited by RAM/Paper). If you were given enough paper for 5 ques, you wouldn't have to wait for more paper.

Now even if you get 500 pages of paper, you can only do 5 ques a minute (Speed is now limited by your speed).

That should make it clear.

OP
B

Born@1989

Broken In
1GB or 20GB. 540M is 40% slower than 555M.

540M isn't fast enough to utilize even the 1 GB VRAM.

If a graphic cards isn't fast enough to utilize the extra memory, its of no use.

Example, you can do 5 maths question in a minute (GPU speed). You are given paper enough for only 3 questions (GPU RAM). So now you'll have to do the first 3 ques and then get more paper (Free up RAM) than do the remaining 2 (Speed limited by RAM/Paper). If you were given enough paper for 5 ques, you wouldn't have to wait for more paper.

Now even if you get 500 pages of paper, you can only do 5 ques a minute (Speed is now limited by your speed).

That should make it clear.

Nice explanation Ishu:goodjob:

I was thinking the same...but thot of asking anyway:wink:
Going by that, 1GB of any good GPU shud be enough for playing most of the games! :)

Any ASUS user reviews, ppl????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

smartyrohan12

tech savy.. :D
@born@1989 buddy i already know about the site and most of us do...dont be so sure check the model first ...the config says n12p-lp , whereas the site says n12p-gp\lv...

@ishu nyc explanation buddy..

red dragon

Master troll
I am not sure what you are trying to do. The ASUS I linked is Rs40917. The toshiba you linked is 40k but with poorer GFX and smaller HDD. :confused:
Ishu,ever wondered why a thinkpad costs almost 60k with intel gfx and i3?
There are more to a laptop then the latest card:wink:.

pratik385

In the zone
dude
if you are a gamer Hp's dv6 is good but really future is uncertain due to spin off
and
if not the go for Sony / Dell

I dont play much games due to office :/
thats why i choose xps

red dragon

Master troll
Asus has improved a lot in the service department lately,most cities now have on site warranty.
Few low end models had significant keyboard flex and in general they use poor quality lcds(just like HP,may be slightly better)
But you missed on an important thing..how long are you going to use this laptop?
If 1-1.5 years..you can go for HP,but you will have to baby it all the time and spend some good amount of time with the SC guys.
If around 2 or more years-compromise on the gaming and look into some serious laptops.

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United
Ishu,ever wondered why a thinkpad costs almost 60k with intel gfx and i3?
There are more to a laptop then the latest card:wink:.
1) Toshiba != Thinkpad. He has nothing against ASUS (He hasn't said so IIRC).
2) To me performance is all that matters. Couldn't care less about looks. Its all about getting your work done after 1 month of novelty.
And build quality of Thinkpad doesn't matter to me. Your handling is more important than quality.
Decent quality is enough for me.

IMO ofcourse.

@ everyone
Thanks guys :)

red dragon

Master troll
Just to make you understand price is not always proportional to hardware specs for a laptop.
Nevermind,you will understand when you grow a little older!

Top Bottom