Need help in buying CPU, MOBO, RAM . Whats the best one can get at 20k ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

MambaXL

Broken In
Hi guys,

I need some advice for buying 3 items.
CPU, Motherboard & RAM.
My budget ~20k, but not more than that.

I will be using these components in my current build (will sell the above 3 - get a quote please ??)

Existing Rig:

CPU: C2D E6400 @ 2.13 GHz
ASUS P5B-VM
2x1GB RAM
XFX GTX 260-Core192
1TB HDD
Corsair VX-450W PSU
Windows 7 Home Premium x64

System Usage :

Primary --> Gaming.
Secondary --> Stable System that would handle heavy tasks at ease.

P.S :: I dont Overclock, RAID or Multi-GPU.

Please help me decide. I live in Bhubaneswar, but can travel to hyd and/or kolkata for the stuffs. I intend to buy these this fall.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
^^

Phenom II X4 940 @ 9.5k or 945 @ 10.3k
Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H @ 5.5k
3x1 GB DDR3 1333MHz @ 5k

Well good for the purpose you've mentioned... :D

Krow

Crowman
^^

Phenom II X4 940 @ 9.5k or 945 @ 10.3k
3x1 GB DDR3 1333MHz @ 5k

Well good for the purpose you've mentioned... :D
+1, but no need for 3x1GB as AMD does not support Tri channel AFAIK. OP can do better with 2x2GB. Again, prices in Mumbai and Kolkata at least are 9.5k for Phenom II X4 955BE and 8.5k for 945. :)

And if I am going for an intel equivalent, what am i going to get @ 20k ?
Intel Core i5 750 @ 10.5k
Gigabyte P55M UD2 @ 7k
2x2GB DDR3 @ 5k (try getting good brands like Corsair, OCZ, G-skill)

My vote lies with Core i5 due to better performance.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
+1, but no need for 3x1GB as AMD does not support Tri channel AFAIK. OP can do better with 2x2GB. Again, prices in Mumbai and Kolkata at least are 9.5k for Phenom II X4 955BE and 8.5k for 945. :)

Intel Core i5 750 @ 10.5k
Gigabyte P55M UD2 @ 7k
2x2GB DDR3 @ 5k (try getting good brands like Corsair, OCZ, G-skill)

My vote lies with Core i5 due to better performance.

The prices are based on Chennai...:idea:

What performance gain do you got in i5 over x4? Any links to prove that?

Krow

Crowman
*www.techspot.com/review/193-intel-core-i5-750/page7.html
*www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i5,2410-12.html
*www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/intel_corei5750_corei7870/8.htm
*www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hard...e-i5-750-core-i7-870-processor-review-14.html

All about apps.

*www.techspot.com/review/193-intel-core-i5-750/page9.html
*www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/intel_corei5750_corei7870/9.htm (many games here , see all)
*www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hard...e-i5-750-core-i7-870-processor-review-18.html

Add to the mix better power consumption too, all to be found in above mentioned links.

Krow

Crowman
^That's Google power for you. :D I found all the results in the first page. I hope you don't mind me suggesting Google to some other users with very basic queries now, would you?

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
*www.techspot.com/review/193-intel-core-i5-750/page7.html
*www.tomshardware.com/reviews/intel-core-i5,2410-12.html
*www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/intel_corei5750_corei7870/8.htm
*www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hard...e-i5-750-core-i7-870-processor-review-14.html

All about apps.

*www.techspot.com/review/193-intel-core-i5-750/page9.html
*www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/intel_corei5750_corei7870/9.htm (many games here , see all)
*www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hard...e-i5-750-core-i7-870-processor-review-18.html

Add to the mix better power consumption too, all to be found in above mentioned links.

Thanks for this stuff man. Noticed the bad-boy Q9550 (which I will get soon), is near to the i5. Puts a small grin on my face....thanks.

Krow

Crowman
asigh The Q9550 is still a great upgrade option for all LGA775 users. Go ahead and grab it. :D

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Will do both together....Dell 24" and the above.

Am almost there. My new year gift to myself..!

:)

Krow

Crowman
Lynx has the Dell 24" in stock IIRC, else you can still order it from the TE deal I had linked you to previously. 12,750 with shipping IIRC. Good gift that is. :D

Cilus

laborare est orare
There is an another price drop last week for the AMD processors. So I'm suggesting a new config for 20k budget.

AMD Phenom II 955 @ 8.5k
Asus M4A785TD-V EVO CrossfireX DDR3 M/B @ 6.7k
2X2 GB Transcend DDR3 1333MHz RAM @ 2.6X2=5.2k

The total price is 20.4k.
At this price this is a killer deal. unlike the Phenom II 945, Phenom II 955 is a Black Edition processor, so a hell of a overclocker. Performance wise it is better than Q9550, priced at 11k.

The above prices are based on my last visit to the Kolkata Computer market, Chandni Chalk.

Krow

Crowman
^^
Did not notice before :oops: , but this board is DDR2. A DDR3 board has been suggested below. :)

There is an another price drop last week for the AMD processors. So I'm suggesting a new config for 20k budget.

AMD Phenom II 955 @ 8.5k
Asus M4A785TD-V EVO CrossfireX DDR3 M/B @ 6.7k
2X2 GB Transcend DDR3 1333MHz RAM @ 2.6X2=5.2k

The total price is 20.4k.
At this price this is a killer deal. unlike the Phenom II 945, Phenom II 955 is a Black Edition processor, so a hell of a overclocker. Performance wise it is better than Q9550, priced at 11k.

The above prices are based on my last visit to the Kolkata Computer market, Chandni Chalk.
Erm... May I say that the ASUS Board is not great for CF as IIRC it supports CF in x4 mode and not in x8. So its not a good board for CF. I would alternatively suggest Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H @ 5.5k. OP may then invest in better RAM's as in my experience, Transcend RAM's are really crap. Failed on me twice. Kingston has been more reliable for me, but I would recommend some good ones like G-skill/Corsair/OCZ.

If you have a look at the performance of the OCed i5 in the links Ive provided, then you may tilt slightly in favour of it.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
Did not notice before :oops: , but this board is DDR2. A DDR3 board has been suggested below. :)

Oops, thats the MA785GMT one...:oops:
-----------------------------------------
Posted again:
-----------------------------------------
^That's Google power for you. :D I found all the results in the first page. I hope you don't mind me suggesting Google to some other users with very basic queries now, would you?

Even i googled it before but not got any acceptable reviews. Thats why i asked you.:razz:

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
Erm... May I say that the ASUS Board is not great for CF as IIRC it supports CF in x4 mode and not in x8. So its not a good board for CF. I would alternatively suggest Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H @ 5.5k. OP may then invest in better RAM's as in my experience, Transcend RAM's are really crap. Failed on me twice. Kingston has been more reliable for me, but I would recommend some good ones like G-skill/Corsair/OCZ.

The price of Kingston ram is same as Transcend. So you can also go for Kingston one.

OP
MambaXL

MambaXL

Broken In
OK. how much is the real time performance gain [no over-clock] between i7-860 and i5-750 ? And is it worth the extra money ? because anyway, both are DDR3 and LGA-1156. And 1 more thing, what is the difference between uATX and ATX boards, AFA longevity is concerned ??

puneetgarg

Learn & Earn
wow man....quite a powerful PC can be made these days in 20k
well i must really lookout for my rig too...i think now its too outdated

Krow

Crowman
i5 750 is a real VFM proccy @ 10k. I dunno price of i7 860 so I wont comment on that.

ATX boards are better due to larger size and hence more features. Nowadays uATX boards also have 4 RAM slots so that is not a major difference. Full ATX boards have SLI/CF support sometimes (multiple GPU support). The form factor does not matter as much as board features. Look for 4 ram slots, minimum 6 SATA ports, HDMI, eSATA, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom