Need help for installing drivers in fedora 7 and suse

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kalyan

I got an Asus M2nPV-VM mobo with AMD 64 x2 5600+ proccy. The motherboard drivers cd contains Linux drivers for Chipset, audio and VGA. I installed Fedora 7 in my pc and the problems for me are...

1) The mouse cursor wasnt showing up. Everything else of the mouse functions are working well. When I log in through text mode, and then go to GUI mode, the mouse cursor shows up. I installed Suse 10.2 and it is working well. But, sometimes, when I logout, it shows the same prob.

2) Desktop effects doesnt enable in both of them.

I figured out that the drivers werent installed correctly. I ran the drivers supplied with the mobo. The file runs and shows up that there are no precompiled kernel files and need to recompile. The bar goes to 100% and tells me that the kernel file wasnt installed. This happens with Chipset and audio drivers.
For VGA, it tells me that 'You are running X Server. Close the X Server and try again.'.

I dont have internet for my pc. Please help me how to install the drivers. My mobo has an nVidia 6150 GFX (onboard) and nForce 430 Chipset. Is there a way to update my comp without internet? I have downloaded the latest drivers from nVidia site.(If possible, please also suggest what drivers to use and provide the links so that I can check I have downloaded the latest drivers or not.) Both the os's are 32bit only. Please help me ASAP.

OP
K

Kalyan

Hi..
yesterday, I checked nvidia website. I got some answers though they didnt help.

I went to init 3 mode and then tried to install the chipset, audio and vga drivers. All of them reported an error that 'There are no precompiled kernel modules for the system. Do you want the system to compile .....' and something like that. I pressed 'OK' button. Some bar went to 100% and said that the kernel module wasnt created and asked me to see the log for details. Same thing happened to all the three drivers. Please help me. I surely believe someone over here could help me.

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
You don't have internet connection at all or is just that it isn't working on Fedora?

Try downloading livna-config-display, kmod-nvidia and xorg-x11-drv-nvidia from *livna-dl.reloumirrors.net/fedora/7/i386/ or *livna-dl.reloumirrors.net/fedora/7/x86_64/ depending on what version of fedora you've installed 32-bit or 64-bit respectively.
Then place those files in /var/cache/yum/archive and see if yum can install it.
If it doesn't, then use rpm command to do that manually
Code:
 rpm -ivh <filename>

Last edited:
OP
K

Kalyan

Hi..

I dont have an internet connection at all at home(for my pc). I have it at my office. I just need a way to install the drivers offline. I am currently using Suse 10.2. I need both the ways of installing in Suse10.2 and Fedora 7. The file that came with the mobo drivers cd is some NVIDIA_.................etc.run file. I have the 32 bit versions of both. my proccy is 64 bit though.

OP
K

Kalyan

Thanks for the links @mehulved. I also need the drivers for Fedora 7. I downloaded the rpms. Do they work for Suse 10.2? The nvidia site has the support for Suse. But Is there a way to install them without an internet connection?

I am so amazed to find only a single answer in this section. I thought that the answers would be pouring. There are 33 views to the post and only one answer? Please guyz... help me out. I am not able to use the settings in Linux while my friend who has an older mobo is able to use them.

I hope you people would find a way............

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Kalyan said:
I got an Asus M2nPV-VM mobo with AMD 64 x2 5600+ proccy. The motherboard drivers cd contains Linux drivers for Chipset, audio and VGA. I installed Fedora 7 in my pc and the problems for me are...

1) The mouse cursor wasnt showing up. Everything else of the mouse functions are working well. When I log in through text mode, and then go to GUI mode, the mouse cursor shows up. I installed Suse 10.2 and it is working well. But, sometimes, when I logout, it shows the same prob.

2) Desktop effects doesnt enable in both of them.

I figured out that the drivers werent installed correctly. I ran the drivers supplied with the mobo. The file runs and shows up that there are no precompiled kernel files and need to recompile. The bar goes to 100% and tells me that the kernel file wasnt installed. This happens with Chipset and audio drivers.
For VGA, it tells me that 'You are running X Server. Close the X Server and try again.'.

I dont have internet for my pc. Please help me how to install the drivers. My mobo has an nVidia 6150 GFX (onboard) and nForce 430 Chipset. Is there a way to update my comp without internet? I have downloaded the latest drivers from nVidia site.(If possible, please also suggest what drivers to use and provide the links so that I can check I have downloaded the latest drivers or not.) Both the os's are 32bit only. Please help me ASAP.

Hi

There are ways to get around your problem

1. Firstly download the drivers of your chipset i.e the graphics on your home directory from the July's edition of Digit DVD
2. Make sure that you've Kernel-source package and GCC installed on your linux system.
3. Then hit Alt+Ctrl+F1 and you'll go to a terminal
4 Login as root
5. Type init 3 (this will take you to runlevel 3) and ener
6. Then go to the home directory of the user where you've downloaded the drivers of your graphics
7. Type sh [the completer driver package] and hit enter
8 Follow onscreen instructions
9 Reboot and your drivers will be installed

praka123

left this forum longback
dont follow above steps.dont use drivers from cd,are obsolete or for older kernels like 2.4!.get urself installed nvidia drivers.check this oss section for some clues.I dont use suse,so not much ideas -but u can get urself a kernel and kernel modules compiled for nvidia 3d driver from repositories.usually in the name "nvidia" is there.there are 3rd party repositories that gives modules compiled for nvidia support.for eg: fedora got *atrpms.net etc etc

OP
K

Kalyan

I downloaded them. I just need to try them. Any clues about suse10.2? I have removed fedora and installed suse10.2. and Thanks for the link and answers. Does the rpms work on suse? and please tell how to find these for suse?

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Kalyan said:
I downloaded them. I just need to try them. Any clues about suse10.2? I have removed fedora and installed suse10.2. and Thanks for the link and answers. Does the rpms work on suse? and please tell how to find these for suse?
rpm's do work on suse but chances of it not working are quite high, as there's difference between how fedora and suse are structured as a whole.
And again it requires you to have kernel-headers, which will surely be different for suse than for fedora.

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
Kalyan said:
The above same procedure runs on suse 10.2 too. i myself use suse 10.2. you just need to perform one more step.

After installing drivers do the following :-

1. init 5
2. log in again and open terminal
3. type su followed by root password
4. type sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia

This will open the graphics menu and will detect your monitor as well as graphics card.

OP
K

Kalyan

Hi all.. Thanks for your valuable suggestions. I have installed one of the drivers and it worked. I think it was the one from nvidia site. Now, I have the desktop effects enabled. As usual, I still got a problem. Now, the window effects(wobbling and other window effects) are not working. I have the desktop cube now. Other effects are not working.Does this have anything to do with my chipset drivers? I checked the ASUS website and it offers me very old drivers. The drivers supplied by driver cd wont work.

On the desktop effects window, I see the message, 'Your graphics card nVidia 6150 is not in XGL's list.' Except for this message, I can enable all other options from all the tabs in the window. I use Suse10.2.

I just installed with sh NVIDIA-........................ .run command in init 3 mode as u said. After the installation, I am now seeing the nvidia logo before the login screen. Now, I am just not having the window effects. Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom