Need help for cabinet fan!

gamerbloke

Broken In
Recently i came across HWMonitor and found that my cpu temp is going 113c, HDD 40c. I have P4 2.4ghz and there is no fan in my cabinet except the one mounted over heat sink.
So i need suggestions on cabinet fans keeping in mind i will be making upgrade by the end of Q1 2014 (then if needed i will be installing one more fan) and no overclocking will be ever done.
What i found uptill now is 90mm is not worth, atleast go for 120mm.

tubelight

Broken In
If this has just started happening, clean your PSU fans properly. It happened in my AMD machine once which I had ignored cleaning for a while, the temps would shoot up the moment I started playing and the system would shut down when the processor reached 95 degrees. I cleaned the PSU fan and the temps came down to 50 degrees when gaming.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
HDD 40c is normal. Isnt it?

yes. anything under 50c is ok. but it is better if it is controlled below 45c.

Recently i came across HWMonitor and found that my cpu temp is going 113c, HDD 40c. I have P4 2.4ghz and there is no fan in my cabinet except the one mounted over heat sink.
So i need suggestions on cabinet fans keeping in mind i will be making upgrade by the end of Q1 2014 (then if needed i will be installing one more fan) and no overclocking will be ever done.
What i found uptill now is 90mm is not worth, atleast go for 120mm.

i suspect a wrong sensor reading. you may not need to worry. try real temp,hwinfo etc just for the verification.

OP
G

gamerbloke

Broken In
If this has just started happening, clean your PSU fans properly. It happened in my AMD machine once which I had ignored cleaning for a while, the temps would shoot up the moment I started playing and the system would shut down when the processor reached 95 degrees. I cleaned the PSU fan and the temps came down to 50 degrees when gaming.

This means i will have to open PSU, i try to avoid these things as i always end up messing something. But these softwares tell PSU temp or CPU's?

OP
G

gamerbloke

Broken In
i suspect a wrong sensor reading. you may not need to worry. try real temp,hwinfo etc just for the verification.

I tried Speed fan too and it is showing same. I think it should be correct as there is no cooling provided plus its antiquated P4.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
I tried Speed fan too and it is showing same. I think it should be correct as there is no cooling provided plus its antiquated P4.

your cpu fan is running right? if the sensors are wrong/not attached, then every software will show wrong readings no matter how reputed the softwares are.

OP
G

gamerbloke

Broken In
your cpu fan is running right? if the sensors are wrong/not attached, then every software will show wrong readings no matter how reputed the softwares are.

I will be needing a fan for my future upgrade anyway so it doesn't matter about reading. I went through Flipkart and found three brands Cooler master, Bitfenix and Deepcool.
For 80mm which one will u people recommend??

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
all fans have one very important rating called "cfm".it tells about the amount of air moved by fan & in real life this value is usually in +/-10% range.a 90cfm 120mm fan will move much more air than 45cfm 120mm fan but it will also be costlier.if you have a lot of hard disks then installing a higher cfm fan in front is better but if you have only 1-2 hard disks then installing any average cfm 120mm fan in rear should be fine.for cpu cooling unless you are always using 80-90% of processor even the stock heat sink(fan which comes with cpu)+a good cfm rear fan is sufficient for 1-2 hard disk & no graphics card setup.for a mid range graphics card add another 120mm fan.considering all this if you have the budget get this 90cfm 120mm fan:
Cooler Master SickleFlow Blue 120 mm Cooler - Cooler Master: Flipkart.com
also no fan will help if you have the usual intex/zebronics/iball cabinet.at least get a cheap cabinet from coolermaster to effectively use such fans.80mm fan is really not worth it in long run.

Last edited:
OP
G

gamerbloke

Broken In
all fans have one very important rating called "cfm".it tells about the amount of air moved by fan & in real life this value is usually in +/-10% range.a 90cfm 120mm fan will much more air than 45cfm 120mm fan but it will also be costlier.if you have a lot of hard disks then installing a higher cfm fan in front is better but if you have only 1-2 hard disks then installing any average cfm 120mm fan in rear should be fine.for cpu cooling unless you are always using 80-90% of processor even the stock heat sink(fan which comes with cpu)+a good cfm rear fan is sufficient for 1-2 hard disk & no graphics card setup.for a mid range graphics card add another 120mm fan.considering all this if you have the budget get this 90cfm 120mm fan:
Cooler Master SickleFlow Blue 120 mm Cooler - Cooler Master: Flipkart.com
also no fan will help if you have the usual intex/zebronics/iball cabinet.at least get a cheap cabinet from coolermaster to effectively use such fans.80mm fan is really not worth it in long run.

Thnx a ton bro... this is the kind of info i was expecting.
Right now i have Intex cabinet, 1 80gb HDD, no GPU. So for this i m considering 80mm fan (as i checked screw distance, bigger one is not more than 90 mm).
Now after upgrade... NZXT gamma, 1 1TB HDD, Sapphire HD7770.
1)So for it a 120mm NZXT fan already comes with cabby, this new brought 80mm & another 120mm should be enough??
2)Or 120 (NZXT) + 120 extra will do the work(hence i can ditch this 80mm)????
3)Which brand should i go with, Cooler master, Bitfenix and Deepcool??
4)Diff b/w these two 120mm CM fans Cooler Master 90 CFM LED Cooler - Cooler Master: Flipkart.com
& Cooler Master SickleFlow Blue 120 mm Cooler - Cooler Master: Flipkart.com
(earlier one is cheap)

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
first of all don't get your hopes high about getting Gamma.someone here tried in Mumbai & i tried in Delhi from the only dealer in Nehru Place who sell NZXT cabinets & couldn't find it.i ended up ordering Bitfenix Merc Alpha online as it is the only alternative to replace Gamma in sub 3000 range.both Gamma & Bitfenix Merc Alpha comes with pre-installed rear 120mm fan & for your upgrade i think adding another 120mm fan in front should be enough.1st link is out of stock & sickleflow series is the newer series so chances of getting older series at that price currently is difficult.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Apply fresh CPU Thermal Paste a good one not the Rs20 ones you get on the street ,clean the heat sink and refit. No fan even a 200 MM NZXT 166CFM monster will be able to bring down that 113C,TBH.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^that reading is not correct.op's processor is northwood & even the infamous prescott P4 will either shutdown or melt before reaching 113C.
Testing Thermal Throttling in Pentium 4 CPUs with Northwood and Prescott cores

OP
G

gamerbloke

Broken In
first of all don't get your hopes high about getting Gamma.someone here tried in Mumbai & i tried in Delhi from the only dealer in Nehru Place who sell NZXT cabinets & couldn't find it.i ended up ordering Bitfenix Merc Alpha online as it is the only alternative to replace Gamma in sub 3000 range.both Gamma & Bitfenix Merc Alpha comes with pre-installed rear 120mm fan & for your upgrade i think adding another 120mm fan in front should be enough.1st link is out of stock & sickleflow series is the newer series so chances of getting older series at that price currently is difficult.

Probably u r right, a meltdown would have occurred.
WTF?? Gamma is unavailable in Delhi, that sucks. I went through someone's review on Gamma in review section & found it very informative.
Is there some kind of review on Bitfenix Merc Alpha or can u sahre some of its inside pics??
I will ditch 80mm idea (thnx to u), but which brand to opt question still remains???
1st link is out of stock but maybe i can find it locally (i.e Nehru place), both are 120mm with 90 CFM then what's the difference as price diff exists???

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
it is a habit of mine to do some research before buying anything so here is my research on bitfenix merc alpha:
Bitfenix Merc Alpha Case Review | Hardware Secrets
BitFenix Merc | Pure Overclock
Bitfenix Merc Alpha Mid ATX Tower PC Chassis Review- Hardware BBQ
AnandTech | BitFenix Merc Alpha: Just How Much Can $39 Buy?
BitFenix Merc Alpha PC Case
BitFenix Merc Alpha Chassis Review | Dungeon Dogz
BitFenix Merc Alpha Case Review | Overclockers
BitFenix Merc Alpha Mid Tower Chassis Review | TweakTown
these should be enough for all your queries.

there shouldn't be any major difference between old R4 & new sickleflow series but i doubt you can find the old series even in Nehru Place as smcinternational is the main distributor of coolermaster products & even their site is not showing older series as available but you can try asking at their store in Nehru Place.

OP
G

gamerbloke

Broken In
it is a habit of mine to do some research before buying anything so here is my research on bitfenix merc alpha:
Bitfenix Merc Alpha Case Review | Hardware Secrets
BitFenix Merc | Pure Overclock
Bitfenix Merc Alpha Mid ATX Tower PC Chassis Review- Hardware BBQ
AnandTech | BitFenix Merc Alpha: Just How Much Can $39 Buy?
BitFenix Merc Alpha PC Case
BitFenix Merc Alpha Chassis Review | Dungeon Dogz
BitFenix Merc Alpha Case Review | Overclockers
BitFenix Merc Alpha Mid Tower Chassis Review | TweakTown
these should be enough for all your queries.

there shouldn't be any major difference between old R4 & new sickleflow series but i doubt you can find the old series even in Nehru Place as smcinternational is the main distributor of coolermaster products & even their site is not showing older series as available but you can try asking at their store in Nehru Place.

Thnx again bro for the info. And this case feels pretty good too (except looks lol).

Apply fresh CPU Thermal Paste a good one not the Rs20 ones you get on the street ,clean the heat sink and refit. No fan even a 200 MM NZXT 166CFM monster will be able to bring down that 113C,TBH.

Which thermal paste brand should i use?? and what will be the price (if possible from Delhi)???

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Thnx again bro for the info. And this case feels pretty good too (except looks lol).

Which thermal paste brand should i use?? and what will be the price (if possible from Delhi)???

artic silver 5 for around rs 600 for 6mg ,i think.

Top Bottom