Need help - Buying an Inverter

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
Folks

Gonna buy an inverter+battery setup. Should run preferably everything in the house (all fans, lights, TVs, ACs, computer, kitchen hardware etc) [Do suggest if it is not advisable to run certain gadgets on inverter]. Powercuts in our area generally are an hour long (at times two, three but not more "usually")

Budget-
Lets start with the best - will be better able to decide this based on your suggestions.

Please suggest brands/price/shop location. Am open to online purchase but prefer local dealer.

My knowledge in this respect is NULL.

So please help. Thanks :)

I did some googling and found that sine wave inverters are preferable to square wave ones, that I cant run ACs and refrigerators without getting industrial inverters (6-7 KVA...whoa) and quite a few things.

Ok, so toning down my requirements...

I have zeroed in on the Luminous 1400VA and the APC 1000VA inverters. Obviously APC is better, isnt it? But I am wondering, whether I shouldn't go for the 1.4KVA one over the 1KVA one?

What do you guys suggest? And what about price of these two?

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
yes, you can't run AC and Kitchen appliances until you get a > 5 kVA inverter. "Silent" diesel-powered Generators do a better job if you want to power everything.

As far as Inverters are concerned, better get 1400 VA with 2 batteries. You'll have to decide the points which you want to use from the MCB box.

APC is better but Luminous' support and network is much much stronger.

OP
M

Mario

Ambassador of Buzz
Thanks for replying...

I was almost settling for the APC Bl1000i Pure Sine wave with one Exide Inva Tubular 650 (200Ah I think)...

Humor me a little more -->

My priorities are durability, reliability over backup time...
I mean I am okay with just an hour of backup but not willing to get frustrated over phone with After Sales if anything conks out...

Will you still suggest Luminous over APC ?

Just asking this because I have always found people in TDF recommending APC.

Edit:

Like I said, I am also ready to "tone" down my requirements, am quite willing now to live with not powering Kitchen appliances and ACs and the like.

Edit:

Also plz suggest where in Kol I can buy APC/Luminous/Exide battery and price as well.

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
APC is best, I have no doubt about that.

I have two 1400 VA inverters with 2 batteries each in two floors of my house. Everything is from Luminous and they send their service guy regularly from time to time to inspect whether everything is all-right or not. We have had problems too and these have been handled pretty swiftly. Both of them have lasted long.

Back-up time would depend upon how many appliances are you running. CRT televisions are the real battery drainers.

PS: I have always bought inverters + batteries directly from a Luminous certified vendor. You can always do a heterogeneous combination like you are doing and this is what most people do. But I don't know how service is handled.

Better wait for others to comment. :)

billamama

In the zone
I'm facing almost the same problem
power cuts are frequent here in my town and duration is minimum 1hr

so I decided to run my pc on our home inverter (microtek 850eb)
*www.hydshop.in/product_images/m/626/microtek-ups-eb__75342_zoom.gif
UPS EB

I've Frontech UPS 600va ,I currently run pc on it. *stat.homeshop18.com/homeshop18/images/product/1stwholesalers/U44-1stW.jpg
Buy Frontech UPS Power 60 JIL-2507

now tell how should I arrange the whole thing?

my pc config
*lh6.googleusercontent.com/_XCBzeK4K31s/TdTHlg9rs7I/AAAAAAAAAbY/BApxxsN-P8U/s640/my%20pc%20config%20updated.jpg

monitor 19" samsung wide tft

john1982

Right off the assembly line
APC is best, I have no doubt about that.

I have two 1400 VA inverters with 2 batteries each in two floors of my house. Everything is from Luminous and they send their service guy regularly from time to time to inspect whether everything is all-right or not. We have had problems too and these have been handled pretty swiftly. Both of them have lasted long.

Back-up time would depend upon how many appliances are you running. CRT televisions are the real battery drainers.

PS: I have always bought inverters + batteries directly from a Luminous certified vendor. You can always do a heterogeneous combination like you are doing and this is what most people do. But I don't know how service is handled.

Better wait for others to comment. :)

What about LED TVs? Are they more energy/power efficient than CRT TVs?

Top Bottom