Need gaming laptop 50-55k

I've finalised these two

Lenovo Ideapad Z500 (59-380463) Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph) - Lenovo: Flipkart.com

Lenovo Ideapad Z500 (59-380480) Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 1GB Graph) - Lenovo: Flipkart.com

First question: Are there any better options than these two in the above price range??

Second question: The only difference between the above two lappies is the nvidia 740gt card. The first laptop has a 2gb variant while the second one has 1gb one. Is 2gb vram overkill for nvidia 740gt or is it worth the 5k difference.

EDIT: This seems to be a better option

*www.snapdeal.com/product/samsung-np550p5cs04in-ultrabook-3rd-gen/630463?pos=0;116

has 1600x900 screen and also nvidia 650gt.

Last edited:

Hrishi

You need a gaming laptop , right ??
As a matter of fact , the GT650m(5-10%)~GT740m.
Now , the Z500 will game at 768p , whereas the Samsung one will game at 900p. Since , the GPUs are prety much of the same level of performance , therefore you can expect the frame rates to be better on Z500.
This is because the Samsung one will have to drive more pixels than Z500 , on a similarily powered GPU.

Brand-Wise : I prefer lenovo than Samsung , but as a matter of fact I Own an Acer laptop. :p

Is 2 GB ram an overkill
Well , for 768p resolution I haven't seen games using more than 700-800MBs even in high resolution textures , etc.However , certain games like Crysis 3 , NFSMW2012 , use more than a GB at high setings.
So it's generally an overkill and won't benefit too much , unless you plan to hook an external monitor and overclock that graphic card and play high-end games at high resolution. Save some money and get a SSD or something.

BTW , if gaming wasn't my priority , I would have opted for Samsung due to higher resolution and awesome speakers for rich multimedia experience. Trust me , you don't want to miss on those speakers , once you hear th'm.

BTW , if you are struck by budget but still don't want to settle for lower gaming scores and consider ACer to be okay enough then this might be good . Recommeding this only if you want a Quad-Core CPu.(futuristic).
Acer V3 571G/i7/2GBGT640m @46k

Pros : Core I7 IVB at that price simply doesn't exists .{ with a dGPU}
Decent speakers.
Decent keyboard and good looks.
Doesn't heats-up a lot.
Good room for overclocking the dGPu.

Cons:
Pathetic screen.{ the viewing angle is horrible.}
it's Acer.

Now , Flipkart says that it comes with GT630m , which is a Fermi based dGPU. But in reality this one comes with a GT640m , which is actually a kepler card . ( it's the same kepler card that is being sold as GT650m/GT660m*).
I am not 100% sure , but these three are same chip , but with different TDPs. { If you want then you can use one of the SVl's vBIOS mod and overclock the GT640m upto 850Mhz/1100 easily and get same temperatures as of GT650m. Performance is , ofcourse , same or even better than Gt650.

With a little bit of tweaking and O'clocking(totally safe) , I am getting ~30FPS in BattleField3 at ULTRA Settings ,[1366x768 resolution.

Last edited:

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
^^ Nice but WTH 728p ??it is 768p..:p

I would recommend Samsung one... Settle for higher screen resolution & you will always be happy.
As far as gaming is considered you can always turn down few settings..(trust me on this my friend has a HP lappy with GT630m 14" 768p screen & mine is HD7670m + 15" 768p screen but games look lot better on his screen even @ lower setting I mean they look HD kind)

Hrishi

^^ Nice but WTH 728p ??it is 768p..:p

I would recommend Samsung one... Settle for higher screen resolution & you will always be happy.
As far as gaming is considered you can always turn down few settings..(trust me on this my friend has a HP lappy with GT630m 14" 768p screen & mine is HD7670m + 15" 768p screen but games look lot better on his screen even @ lower setting I mean they look HD kind)
Oh , that was a typo. It should be 768p.
That is because , of the Pixel density probably.

Last edited:
I'll recommend Samsung because of:
- Better screen
- Better speakers (JBL with sub woofers)
- Slightly better GPU (acc. to benchmarks GT650M> GT740M)
Computer Games on Laptop Graphic Cards - NotebookCheck.net Tech

OP
Harsh Pranami

Harsh Pranami

Padawan
You need a gaming laptop , right ??
As a matter of fact , the GT650m(5-10%)~GT740m.
Now , the Z500 will game at 768p , whereas the Samsung one will game at 900p. Since , the GPUs are prety much of the same level of performance , therefore you can expect the frame rates to be better on Z500.
This is because the Samsung one will have to drive more pixels than Z500 , on a similarily powered GPU.

Brand-Wise : I prefer lenovo than Samsung , but as a matter of fact I Own an Acer laptop. :p

Well , for 768p resolution I haven't seen games using more than 700-800MBs even in high resolution textures , etc.However , certain games like Crysis 3 , NFSMW2012 , use more than a GB at high setings.
So it's generally an overkill and won't benefit too much , unless you plan to hook an external monitor and overclock that graphic card and play high-end games at high resolution. Save some money and get a SSD or something.

BTW , if gaming wasn't my priority , I would have opted for Samsung due to higher resolution and awesome speakers for rich multimedia experience. Trust me , you don't want to miss on those speakers , once you hear th'm.

BTW , if you are struck by budget but still don't want to settle for lower gaming scores and consider ACer to be okay enough then this might be good . Recommeding this only if you want a Quad-Core CPu.(futuristic).
Acer V3 571G/i7/2GBGT640m @46k

Pros : Core I7 IVB at that price simply doesn't exists .{ with a dGPU}
Decent speakers.
Decent keyboard and good looks.
Doesn't heats-up a lot.
Good room for overclocking the dGPu.

Cons:
Pathetic screen.{ the viewing angle is horrible.}
it's Acer.

Now , Flipkart says that it comes with GT630m , which is a Fermi based dGPU. But in reality this one comes with a GT640m , which is actually a kepler card . ( it's the same kepler card that is being sold as GT650m/GT660m*).
I am not 100% sure , but these three are same chip , but with different TDPs. { If you want then you can use one of the SVl's vBIOS mod and overclock the GT640m upto 850Mhz/1100 easily and get same temperatures as of GT650m. Performance is , ofcourse , same or even better than Gt650.

With a little bit of tweaking and O'clocking(totally safe) , I am getting ~30FPS in BattleField3 at ULTRA Settings ,[1366x768 resolution.

Well my roommate owns a lappy dell inspiron 17r which comes with 650gt and corei5. The screen is 900p. I can safely say that card is good for gaming even at 900p. Also the speakers in samsung are a great advantage as you said.

Top Bottom