Discussion: Need Advice Regarding Alienware

Hi! Didn't know where else to post this.

I have an Alienware m15x which i got in 2010. The major specs are:

Processor: core i7 720qm
RAM: 4GB DDR3
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GTX 260 M

I had been having numerous issues with it, and almost all the parts have been replaced more than once. (Motherboard - 5 times). Only the processor has not been replaced.

Still I am having overheating issues and the system hangs after overheating.

So I called up Dell and asked for a full replacement after two years. i have Accidental Cover/NBD warranty.
Now, they have not agreed to give me a full replacement, but instead offered me a processor upgrade to i7-820QM and extra 2GBs of RAM.

What do you guys think? Should I press them more to give me a full replacement or get the upgrade and see what happens. My warranty is about to expire in 20 days.
or should I extend my warranty?

Press them to get full replacement... the upgrade isn't worthy man.. there is negligible difference between those processors...I guess 100-150Mhz...better to replace the laptop fully..

OP
N

navneetagarwal

Broken In
I asked them again, but they said they can only give me a full replacement after they have addressed all possibilities to fix the issue. And since the processor is the only part that has not been replaced yet, they say the must replace it first.

So I think I could get the upgrade and extend my warranty. After the upgrade if the issue is still there, i can press them more for a full replacement.
If there's anything else please suggest..

OP
N

navneetagarwal

Broken In
OK, now they are asking to collect the laptop to their headquarters in Bangalore for checking it. Can they do that?

Last edited:
OP
N

navneetagarwal

Broken In
More help please.. They have agreed to give me the replacement. But since the m15x has been discontinued, they'l be giving an m14x. The real estate is not the issue for me, the smaller laptop will be more portable but i hear the graphics card is not that good on the m14x and it is fixed to the motherboard. What should I do? Should I get the m14x? Still waiting for the specs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom