Need advice on Budget Android ~8k

punitks

Broken In
There are many budget fones in this range and am really confused as to what to go for. Hoping you guys are able to bail me out :)

1. Budget: 6k - 8k
  2. Display type and size? Touchscreen 3.5 inch to 4.5 inch.
  3. Form Factor: BAR
  4. Preferred choice of brand: Any brand with ordinary service levels are fine. Would avoid brand with bad service rating
  5. Preferred input method: Touchscreen
  6. What camera option you want? Back camera with autofocus & flash (atleast 3 mp needed). A good camera with decent pictures will take priority over screen size or processing speed. front camera is optional
  7. Preferred operating system: Android (4 & above)
  8. Preferred connectivity options: 3G & Wifi
  9. Primary use of handset: To be used primarily for mails, FB, whatsapp and a few basic games (no heavy gaming) & occassional photos
  10. Any specific mobile phones in consideration: Have shortlisted the following mobiles, however this list is based on just features listed on the sites. I am open to anything other than this list as well
  11. Huawei Ascend Y300, Micromax Ninja A89, Karbonn A9+, Sony Xperia tipo ST21i, Karbonn A21 or Xolo A700

Of the above list, i like Huawei Ascend Y300 best as far as features are concerned, however not many people I know are using Huawei phones and hence forums expert advice is welcome

Cheers!!
Punit

OP
P

punitks

Broken In
If warranty is not a problem go for pantech burst else Huawei y300 hands down!

I have heard a lot of good things about Pantech Burst on this forum with good number of fellow members already owning it. The specs and reviews of Pantech Burst are too good in the price it is available, I was almost tempted to but it after looking at all the posts about it on the forum.
But just a bit skeptical since it comes without warranty as I have burnt my fingers on another electronic product (not a mobile) without warranty recently :-(

Moreover, as I mentioned before, i will mainly be using my phone for email and whatsapp and occasional photos.

Would it be fair to compare the camera quality of Huawei Y300 v/s Pantech Burst given that both are budget phones? If the camera of Pantech Burst is significantly better than that of Y300's I might just have a rethink on the Burst as well :wink:

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
I have heard a lot of good things about Pantech Burst on this forum with good number of fellow members already owning it. The specs and reviews of Pantech Burst are too good in the price it is available, I was almost tempted to but it after looking at all the posts about it on the forum.
But just a bit skeptical since it comes without warranty as I have burnt my fingers on another electronic product (not a mobile) without warranty recently :-(

mobiles generally don't go bad. but in case you drop it and something breaks (eg: display) it'll cost you almost half of the price of mobile maybe more. as Burst (or even Pantech) doesn't have any presence here. so buying Burst is better deal (considering the pricetag) provided you keep it in one piece. but for use i guess Y300 will work.

Would it be fair to compare the camera quality of Huawei Y300 v/s Pantech Burst given that both are budget phones? If the camera of Pantech Burst is significantly better than that of Y300's I might just have a rethink on the Burst as well :wink:

Y300's (and previously G300) camera quality has been impressive considering the pricetag so at least they have used a camera sensor that works as intended. plus the flash is ok for low light photography.

OP
P

punitks

Broken In
Thanks Sam. Very much appreciated :)

I have made up my mind to go with Huawei Ascend Y300. Well almost :)
Just today I got a chance to checkout Xolo A700 and even that one looked good. Also i have read a few articles on think digit that suggest that Xolo A700 has better benchmark scores with all other features almost the same

Both phones are priced almost the same

Though everyone seems to be suggesting Huawei Y300, just wanted to be 100% sure that I am selecting the right model. I am planning to place my order on Monday, hope to hear back soon :)

Thanks again

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
I have made up my mind to go with Huawei Ascend Y300. Well almost :)
Just today I got a chance to checkout Xolo A700 and even that one looked good. Also i have read a few articles on think digit that suggest that Xolo A700 has better benchmark scores with all other features almost the same

Both phones are priced almost the same

XOLO A700, A800, B700 etc are powered by Cortex A9 processor from Mediatek whereas Y300 is powered by Cortex A5 from Qualcomm. In the language of mobile processor, higher the number better it is: Cortex A9 will beat Cortex A5 (Cortex A5<A7<A8<A9<A15). Weak processor (and GPU) so 720p video can't be played nor recorded. Thats the downside but also offers more battery backup. If i had to choose between XOLO (Lava mobiles) and Pantech, Pantech anyday. Looking at the excellent service from Micromax, i don't have any kind of hope from Lava. Also at least Huawei manufactures its own mobiles. LAVA, Micromax sell all kind of relabeled mobiles.

funkysourav

What The.... !!!
Looking at the excellent service from Micromax, i don't have any kind of hope from Lava. Also at least Huawei manufactures its own mobiles. LAVA, Micromax sell all kind of relabeled mobiles.
OP
by excellent service from micromax he means that there is no service for Micromax
Its Sam's way of being sarcastic lol :D

OP
P

punitks

Broken In
Got the fone couple of days back... contrary to the advice and my initial choice, went for Xolo A700... was getting is really cheap (Rs. 7100/-) from a dealer friend of mine
Have not been able to check it out much yet, but will post a quickreview later doen the week

Thanks to all for helping out on this one

Top Bottom