Need advice on a low budget Android [5k]

eureka

Banned
Hi, I have a friend, who also happens to be a lawyer, wanting to buy an Android, but her budget is typically low, somewhere around 5k.

She currently uses a Nokia X2-01 or something like that, and she needs some specific set of features, which I am mentioning below.

- Call conversation recording (That's a must for her. I am sure third party apps will do the job, but I am unsure about compatibility)
- Dual SIM (Must have, and both SIM should be working at same time)
- External SD card support
- She didn't mention anything about camera, but I believe it will do as long as a human being's face being captured like a human being's face. But LED is a must, to be able to use as a torch/flash light.
- Under connectivity is should have Bluetooth, WiFi and 3G and GPS (LOL)
- FM Radio is a must too (God knows why!)
- At least Jelly Bean, if not KitKat (LOL)
- And it has to be from a reputable brand, like Samsung, Sony etc., no hybrid Indian Chinese brands like RedMa, Xoiami, MicroMax etc.

And that's it. Although she didn't mention but I think a compact phone will be preferred (something like Galaxy S2 like size). Cause I don't think she will be able to carry a large phone.

My simply Google search ended up with results like Galaxy Trend etc. But I want more opinion.

Thank you.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Get Asus Zenphone 4.

Moto E is good except for the crap camera and lack of LED flash. Low budget androids from samdung, htc and sony are way worse than Redmi 1s.

If she is open to using windows phones, Lumia 630 (single sim) is around 6k on flipkart.

OP
E

eureka

Banned
I have already suggested her the Moto E, but quite honestly she is a total amateur. However she does have one point, Motorola's non existent after sales service, if something happens, well she will blame me.
I will advise her to get the Asus ZenPhone 4, but then again I have no idea about Asus' after sale service either.

At least that's where she won't have to bother me with a Samsung if something happens to the phone.

Lumia 630? WP? What about my first point, the most important one? Or has WP gone open source now?

sushovan

In the zone
Its not possible to get even half of these requirements within a 5k phone from a "reputable" brand, Which I think is absurd, since the reputable brands that offer actual good ASS (LG,Sony) stopped showing interest in sub 10K price band a while ago and Samsuck is leading towards its doom with its horrible products and deteriorating after sales service. I would say go for Moto E (if android is an option), or Lava Iris Win1 (windows phone). Though I have seen girls end up with samsuck crap even after they are warned thousand times :-D

rish1

Cyborg Agent
get her Nokia X2 .. it is dual standby not dual active .. even moto e,asus zenfone 4 is dual stand by as per gsmarena

Nokia X2-Dual Sim Price in India - Buy Nokia X2-Dual Sim Black 4 GB Online - Nokia : Flipkart.com

buy it on emi with sbi card and get it for 6k ( offer valid till tomorrow only )

i think this fulfils all your other requirements quite happily

Last edited:

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
get her Nokia X2 .. it is dual standby not dual active .. even moto e,asus zenfone 4 is dual stand by as per gsmarena

Nokia X2-Dual Sim Price in India - Buy Nokia X2-Dual Sim Black 4 GB Online - Nokia : Flipkart.com

buy it on emi with sbi card and get it for 6k ( offer valid till tomorrow only )

i think this fulfils all your other requirements quite happily

call recorder and android arent present on the Nokia X2
I feel Moto E is her safest bet

A

amit.tiger12

Hi, I have a friend, who also happens to be a lawyer, wanting to buy an Android, but her budget is typically low, somewhere around 5k.

She currently uses a Nokia X2-01 or something like that, and she needs some specific set of features, which I am mentioning below.

- Call conversation recording (That's a must for her. I am sure third party apps will do the job, but I am unsure about compatibility)
- External SD card support
- She didn't mention anything about camera, but I believe it will do as long as a human being's face being captured like a human being's face. But LED is a must, to be able to use as a torch/flash light.
- And it has to be from a reputable brand, like Samsung, Sony etc., no hybrid Indian Chinese brands like RedMa, Xoiami, MicroMax etc.

And that's it. Although she didn't mention but I think a compact phone will be preferred (something like Galaxy S2 like size). Cause I don't think she will be able to carry a large phone.

My simply Google search ended up with results like Galaxy Trend etc. But I want more opinion.

Thank you.

- Call conversation recording
Android app will do
Active and Standby
But I doubt, because there are mostly "dual standby" available.
LED flash?? Ok

Ok..
Don't laugh, people spend their valuable money.
reputed means??? only reputed in mobile industry or Computer, desktop industry???

iBall is good company
iBall Andi 4.5P Glitter - 5400
ZTE Blade G2 V880H - 4995
ZTE Blade L V887 - 4550
iBall Andi 4.5 K6 - 5050
Panasonic T40 - 5400
Lenovo A516 - 5049

rish1

Cyborg Agent
call recorder and android arent present on the Nokia X2
I feel Moto E is her safest bet

it's Android 4.3 jelly bean with a Nokia launcher without google apps..for call recorder he can install 1 call recording app for her by side loading it ( it should work hopefully )

he is not looking for moto E as she rejected it on the basis of ASS.. he is doubtful about zenfone 4 for the same reason.. redmi is out of the question as well..

if you take out those 3 how many options does he have ?

i am not sure about call recording .., just to confirm OP post your query in xda

Nokia X2 - XDA Forums

and ask any user whether call recording is working with Nokia x2 or not .. most likely 1 or the other app will, because there are so many apps ..

otherwise his next best option have only 512 mb ram which sucks in android... and he can't go with windows phone as i think it does not have call recording app ( correct me if i am wrong, i am not much informed about wp apps )

------------------------------------------------------

if you don't want X2 , then the best option i think is S duos 3 for 6k from flipkart

Last edited:

Minion

Conversation Architect
@OP within 5k there are very less no of good phones.She is not interested in Xiaomi but redmi 1S is a very good phone she may also get zenphone 4 I could have suggested Moto E but lack of fash,front camera,lack of auto focus and 2k more than her budget is preventing me to suggest moto E.

If she doesn't agree with you tell her buy whatever you like it is better to be safe than sorry.:p

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
it's Android 4.3 jelly bean with a Nokia launcher without google apps..for call recorder he can install 1 call recording app for her by side loading it ( it should work hopefully )

he is not looking for moto E as she rejected it on the basis of ASS.. he is doubtful about zenfone 4 for the same reason..

i am not sure about call recording .., just to confirm OP post your query in xda

Nokia X2 - XDA Forums

and ask any user whether call recording is working with Nokia x2 or not .. most likely 1 or the other app will, because there are so many apps ..

otherwise his next best option have only 512 mb ram which sucks in android... and he can't go with windows phone as i think it does not have call recording app ( correct me if i am wrong, i am not much informed about wp apps )

------------------------------------------------------

if you don't want X2 , then the best option i think is S duos 3 for 6k from flipkart

Oops my bad I forgot about the Nokia X android series
i thought you meant this one
*cdn2.gsmarena.com/vv/pics/nokia/nokia-x2-1.jpg

my bad sorry
i agree with you,the Nokia X2 seems like a great purchase and is a bargain at that price because it has decent specs and aftersales,quality etc
s duos is really bad imho,lags alot
i think Nokia X2>Moto E>S duos

you are right about WP,theres no good call recorder app yet which works flawless,Windows 10 might change that i hope,its the only problem ive had with WP,otherwise great OS

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
have used both zenfone 4 models and the only (and a major) complain is the battery backup. a friend of mine as well as my cousin has Zenfone 4 (4.5" and 4"). have used both and its surprising that despite heavy skinning, both phones are extremely snappy (must give credit to Asus) but runs out of juice by the end of the day.

last time i was told whoever deals in Asus laptop RMA (maybe Rashi/Digiton) also handle mobile.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
have used both zenfone 4 models and the only (and a major) complain is the battery backup. a friend of mine as well as my cousin has Zenfone 4 (4.5" and 4"). have used both and its surprising that despite heavy skinning, both phones are extremely snappy (must give credit to Asus) but runs out of juice by the end of the day.

last time i was told whoever deals in Asus laptop RMA (maybe Rashi/Digiton) also handle mobile.

maybe a powerbank is a good add on then,just in case
you are right about RMA
so far Moto and Asus are one of the few companies with decent after sales and RMA

OP
E

eureka

Banned
Okay so I am confused. Shall I suggest her the ZP4? I am not going into WP, regardless of its compatibility with call recorders or not, cause in next upgrade Microsoft could ditch the support, and there's not even half development goes on on XDA about it it in comparison with Android.

Moto E would have been the best option I know, but their after sale service is nothing short of ridiculous, so don't think its a go.

ZP4 has poor battery life? Hmm! So if she ends up getting one of those cheap (in price) Samsungs would they have better battery life than ZP4? As I said, she is an amateur, if she will have to plug in her phone for charging at every night she will say I bought her a faulty product. Damn!

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
What's the use of battery life when the phone itself is crap in case of samsung compared to ZP4? samdung phones in that budget have 1500 mAh or lesser battery capacity. ZP4 with 4.5" screen has 1750 mAh battery, while the 4" has 1600 mAh battery.

Other thing which I forgot to mention: 768 mb or less RAM on samdung phones under 8k, couple that with crapwiz. :lol:

Last edited:
OP
E

eureka

Banned
Oh okay, didn't read specs. Will suggest her the ZP4. If in the meantime anyone thinks anything, do let me know.

Thanks all.

A

amit.tiger12

try android one smartphones they are getting lollipop update...

- - - Updated - - -

Micromax Android OneMicromax A99Arya A1+
Display Size4.5"4.5"4.5", Free ScreenGuard
Display ResolutionFWVGA, 854 x 480 PixelsFWVGA, 854 x 480 PixelsqHD, 960x540 pixels
Display FeaturesIPSIPSIPS, OGS with full lamination
Processor1.3 GHz Quad Core Processor, Mali 400 GPU1.3 GHz + ARM 7 MTK6582V/X, Quad Core, Mali 400 GPU1.3 GHz Mediatek 6582, quad core, Mali 400 GPU
RAM1GB1GB1GB
ROM4GB8GB8 GB
OSAndroid 4.4 KitKatAndroid 4.4 KitKatAndroid 4.4 KitKat
Camera - Primary (MP)555
Camera - Front (MP)20.32
Battery (mAh)Li-Polymer, 1700 mAhLi-Ion, 1950 mAh2000 Li-Ion
Number of SIMsDualDualDual (3G+3G)
Connectivity3G, 2G, Wifi, BT3G, 2G, Wifi, BT3G,2G,Wifi, BT
Dimensions13.2 x 0.9 x 6.7 cm,136g64.5x132.4x8.65 mm, 143 g133*65.8*9.7mm, 145gm
Audio Jack3.5mm3.5mm3.5mm
USB OTGNoInfo not availableYes
User Available Memory2.1 GB only for apps. No file storage5.85 GB~ 6GB available for apps and content
Gesture ControlNoYesYes
Price649969995499

Arya A1 Plus (Black-Silver)

*www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00Q646IGY/ref=amb_link_185311827_2?pf_rd_m=A1VBAL9TL5WCBF&pf_rd_s=right-5&pf_rd_r=1T7NVN3ZCV4Q9MXF8V20&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=574420087&pf_rd_i=1320006031

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Okay so I am confused. Shall I suggest her the ZP4? I am not going into WP, regardless of its compatibility with call recorders or not, cause in next upgrade Microsoft could ditch the support, and there's not even half development goes on on XDA about it it in comparison with Android.

Moto E would have been the best option I know, but their after sale service is nothing short of ridiculous, so don't think its a go.

ZP4 has poor battery life? Hmm! So if she ends up getting one of those cheap (in price) Samsungs would they have better battery life than ZP4? As I said, she is an amateur, if she will have to plug in her phone for charging at every night she will say I bought her a faulty product. Damn!

all windows phone 8/8.1 devices have a confirmed upgrade to Windows 10
i highly doubt they would repeat the WP7 fiasco which made them suffer a heavy setback when wp8 was released
either way,i suggest she goes in for an android device like Zenfone 4,Moto E,Nokia X
i wouldnt suggest samsung at all

- - - Updated - - -

i wouldnt suggest android one,Moto E is much better except for the lack of camera flash
also Moto E has a 2000mah battery as compared to the other phones mentioned
even Nokia X has 1800mah battery

Top Bottom