Need advice :Lumia 720 vs Xperia L

Lost me Xperia SP few days back, need a new phone, but this time i cant stretch my budget high..

Can anyone highlight me the pros and cons of these two phones in comparison to each other.
Both are similarly priced and i can stretch my budget to fit these..I can spend around 16-17k for any of these.

Since i am an android user for 4 years i want to know what i will gain or miss when moving to Windows 8
The 512 MB RAM limitation on the Lumia will affect gaming and the games i can play. But i hope it doesnt slow down performance.
I had multitasking issues with my Xperia SP's 1GB RAM. For Eg. I couldnt multitask Chrome browser and other apps. Chrome kept closing the webpages and reloaded them whenever i switched apps. Hope i dont face such multitask issues with Lumia 720..

I hope to get some response from people who have migrated from Android to Windows because i am afraid i am kinda going backwards moving to Windows 8. Its more closed, restricted...but if it doesnt lag and hang, and lets me multitask games,web browser,whatsapp,facebook etc then then im good...

Things i like about the Lumia 720-- looks, better camera, better battery, better display
Things i like about the Xperia L --- Quantity of Apps and games, 1Gb RAM that can play all games (unlike the Lumia 720)

I am not a big fan of HD 3D games now since they are a huge battery hog and eat up like 1-2Gb of precious internal memory. But i like online games, MMORPG games etc etc on Play Store. Will there be similar MMORPGs on Windows ??

Sudh4r

Fire Lord
I am not a big fan of HD 3D games now since they are a huge battery hog and eat up like 1-2Gb of precious internal memory. But i like online games, MMORPG games etc etc on Play Store. Will there be similar MMORPGs on Windows ??

Well if your into gaming WP is definitely not for you. Last time I checked for Temple Run 2 there wasn't one. So there will be less no of games.

I had multitasking issues with my Xperia SP's 1GB RAM. For Eg. I couldnt multitask Chrome browser and other apps. Chrome kept closing the webpages and reloaded them whenever i switched apps.

This happens even with my Nexus 4 in chrome(I haven't used any other browser). I think it has sth to do with the APP Activity Cycle. When is Resume back from Pause it want's to relaod the content.

512 MB RAM will be sufficient for WP, since it's not a power hog like Android, and most app will be optimized for the hardware.

Flash

Lost in speed
Well if your into gaming WP is definitely not for you. Last time I checked for Temple Run 2 there wasn't one. So there will be less no of games.
It's not like that. There are handful of XBOX LIVE games in WP.
Temple run 2 is not for WP still, but with the WP getting popular - most of the game devs will port their famous android games in no time..

OK, you won't have so many free games in WP as available in Android. Moreover some games which are free in Android, have to be bought in WP like Angry Birds

Note: I've not owned a WP but my friend has Omnia W, so I compared android & WP. WP8 is lot better, I know but I don't think those games are specifically made free for WP8 n not for WP7.5

OP
mikael_schiffer

mikael_schiffer

Padawan
How about games like Asphalt 7 and NFS Most Wanted and the likes...

How about games like Asphalt 7 and NFS Most Wanted and the likes...

Flash

Lost in speed
OK, you won't have so many free games in WP as available in Android. Moreover some games which are free in Android, have to be bought in WP like Angry Birds

Note: I've not owned a WP but my friend has Omnia W, so I compared android & WP. WP8 is lot better, I know but I don't think those games are specifically made free for WP8 n not for WP7.5

Angry birds was made free for 15 days when launched. If you've installed Angry birds in that 15 days, it will be marked as PURCHASED.
So, if you install now (its 55/- currrently), it will be installed free of cost :mrgreen:

I accept that, even Nokia exclusive apps like "Lumia storage check" is not available for WP7.8 users.

OP
mikael_schiffer

mikael_schiffer

Padawan
But Lumia 720 uses Adreno 305 na :)

By the way, just saw this---> Nokia LUMIA 520 Gaming Review HD: ASPHALT 7, NFS HOT PURSUIT, ASSASSIN'S CREED & more - YouTube
Lumia 520 can play Asphalt 7 and NFS HOT PERSUIT...
the 520 is a Rs9500 phone and can play good quality games...quiet surprising. Android phones under 10k from reputed brands(Sammsung,LG,HTC)is a no no with 3d games

Last edited:

RohanM

Cyborg Agent
But Lumia 720 uses Adreno 305 na :)

By the way, just saw this---> Nokia LUMIA 520 Gaming Review HD: ASPHALT 7, NFS HOT PURSUIT, ASSASSIN'S CREED & more - YouTube
Lumia 620 can play Asphalt 7 and NFS HOT PERSUIT...

That's what I was pointing that it can play na... :wink:

OP
mikael_schiffer

mikael_schiffer

Padawan
maane Lumia > Android :D ?????

btw i think we can play paid apps for free in Windows Phone 8. Any game which comes as a "trial" can be unlocked to run as "paid" through a small trick. Check google :D:D:):);)

Jaskanwar Singh

Aspiring Novelist
This happens even with my Nexus 4 in chrome(I haven't used any other browser). I think it has sth to do with the APP Activity Cycle. When is Resume back from Pause it want's to relaod the content.

512 MB RAM will be sufficient for WP, since it's not a power hog like Android, and most app will be optimized for the hardware.

not with me, i can multitask chrome with other apps/games in nexus 4 without pages reloading everytime i shift to chrome.

RohanM

Cyborg Agent
^^ yesterday I was doing heavy multitasking with my N4...
Chrome, angry birds, xda primium, tapatalk, gtalk, nimbbuzz & on top of that launched nova 3... played for 5 mins & gone to chrome.. the page was still there NO RELOAD.. superb. :cool:

randomuser111

Technomancer
@ mikael_schiffer

Try to get your phone back :p

And if you can't and decide to get the L, get it ASAP as Sony will increase prices by 3-5% this week across all product categories.

OP
mikael_schiffer

mikael_schiffer

Padawan
Guys i kinda feel like at Rs15-16000 budget the Xperia L is better than Lumia 720....after weighing in all features and performance, it gets an edge due to the number of apps. I checked Windows marketplace and damn!!! hardly any MMORPGS..the ones that are there are those crappy Android ones. Haypi Kingdom is the only good one (that i played for almost 2yrs)and thats a 2d game. Moreover the Lumia 720 is as big as Galaxy S3, but with a tinier screen :( Windows Mobile has been around for like 4 years and there are like only 5-6 decent MMOS..wth!! Android has over 50 and most are good and many are WoW like 3d MMO,like Little Empire,my fav :)
The biggest downer for me is the 512 MB RAM on LUMIA, sure it doesnt slow performance of the phone but in a few months time when Windows finally gets good games after 8.1, they will be incompatible to 512MB RAM devices :(:(

If i were to go below Rs15k then no doubt Lumia 620 or 520 cuz any Android below Xperia L is cr@p in my opinion...

@ mikael_schiffer

I think you are confused, both Xperia L and Lumia 720 have the same GPU - Adreno 305.

no no no i got it..
the thing is that the Xperia L can play all HD games,even Gun Bros 2, while the LUMIA 720 cant despite the "almost" same SoC (CPU is slightly different along with RAM quantity)...but some youtube videos shows even a lowly Lumia 520 can play Asphalt 7 Heat, which,i thought ,required minimum 1 GB RAM. So the entire confusion...

sinhead

Broken In
mikael - This could be my next purchase so wanted some feedback.

Camera - I have read on other international forums that the camera isn't good. I'd like to know your opinion on this.
Moreover sony's software update too didn't improve the cam much. Some people suggested "3rd party" camera apps OR to manually adjust settings. Will these solutions do justice to the camera quality, considering sony advertised it as a camera phone.
Battery backup - does it last One full day?
Thanks.

Top Bottom