Need a Workstation - Looking for VFM and Future-proofing

ruzzler

Right off the assembly line
Hi All,

My first post on this forum. Have been following TDF for many years and reading the mag for many more. For the last 5 years I have been using a c2d Samsung laptop that served me loyally during my college days. Never switched it off for days at end (Max uptime : 30-35 days).

The heavy use took its toll, now the lappy is dead (fried motherboard), and now that I am earning (finally!), have some spare cash to buy my dream rig. Hoping that some of you might be able to help me out.

So here goes -

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.'

Ans: This will act as my main system. Usage: 30% internet browsing + music/1080p movie watching, 30% photo editing (would like to try video editing in the future), 30% tinkering with linux distros, 10% office work (MS word and excel).

The machine should be able to multitask well. My typical usage consists of 20~100 tabs open in the web browser, bit torrent + music service +IRC running in background, and Photoshop in foreground. NO GAMING. As this will be my main system, I am hoping I can use it for the next 3~5 yrs with incremental upgrades.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.

Ans: 35,000 - 40,000 Immediately. Can spend 10-15k more in the coming months

3. Planning to overclock?

Ans: Not if I can help it.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?

Ans: Win 7 (primary) + Ubuntu (secondary). Is hackintosh a good idea? Need advice.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?

Ans: 1~2TB for the data. I would like to install a SSD for my OSes. All reviews indicate that it improves system responsiveness, which is my main goal.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.

Ans: Yes. Was thinking of going for the Dell 22" FHD panel everyone recommends here.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?

Ans: None.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?

Ans: On or before Diwali.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?

Ans: Have built before.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?

Ans: I am in Mumbai. Will either pick up components from Lamington road, or online, depending on where I find better price.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?

Ans: None it particular.

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
welcome to TDF
i5 4570 - 14k
asus b85m -g-6.5k
gskill ripjaws X 4GB X 2-5k
wd blue 1 TB -4k
asus odd 24b5st - 1k
antec vp450p -2.6k
nzxt gamma - 2.3k
dell s2240l - 8.8k
logitech keyboard - 0.3k
lenovo m6811 - 0.7k

also buy an ssd later. samsung 840 pro 256gb

OP
R

ruzzler

Thanks for your response rijinpk1. I have a few queries:

1. For my workload, is haswell based i5 better than a FX8350? I understand that the i5 performs 40-50% faster in case of single threaded applications, but what about multitasking loads? For example running a virtual machine.

2. Re the PSU. Is Antec vp450p the best bang for buck in this price range? I had read that seasonic PSUs are very nice VFM.

3. Re the cabinet. Don't mind spending upto 3-3.5k on this. NZXT Gamma does not look nice IMHO. Any other options?

4. Where to pick up the components from? Can someone suggest any shops in Lamington Rd which have an array of cabinets/KB-mouse combos on display to choose from?

Thanks again!

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Thanks for your response rijinpk1. I have a few queries:

1. For my workload, is haswell based i5 better than a FX8350? I understand that the i5 performs 40-50% faster in case of single threaded applications, but what about multitasking loads? For example running a virtual machine.

fx 8350 is good 8 core processor which requires a good mobo to cope with it. also you may need to buy an entry level gpu too since neither fx8350 nor 970/990 based mobo have integrated gpu which adds up the total cost.
2. Re the PSU. Is Antec vp450p the best bang for buck in this price range? I had read that seasonic PSUs are very nice VFM.

seasonic is better than antec. but seasonic s12 ii 430 costs 3.6k while antec is lower priced. will you upgrade your gpu in the near future? if yes,i suggest to get seasonic s12 ii 520. otherwise antec vp450p will be fine.
3. Re the cabinet. Don't mind spending upto 3-3.5k on this. NZXT Gamma does not look nice IMHO. Any other options?

consider antec gx700

OP
R

ruzzler

fx 8350 is good 8 core processor which requires a good mobo to cope with it. also you may need to buy an entry level gpu too since neither fx8350 nor 970/990 based mobo have integrated gpu which adds up the total cost.

seasonic is better than antec. but seasonic s12 ii 430 costs 3.6k while antec is lower priced. will you upgrade your gpu in the near future? if yes,i suggest to get seasonic s12 ii 520. otherwise antec vp450p will be fine.

consider antec gx700

Thanks for the feedback sir ji. Will update the thread once I get some quotes on the hardware prices.

Top Bottom