Need a trick to save power

Status
Not open for further replies.

surinder

Tech addict
Hi all,
Guys I'm using BSNL's home combo 500c broadband plan so my system downloads 2 A.M to 8 A.M daily (automatically obviously ) during that period speakers and LCD remains switched off. I wonder if there is a trick to software operated power off for GPU as well that way I can save few watts more per day moreover GPU can get well deserve rest for that period and can live bit longer.

switching with MOBO's onboard GPU every night before hibernation is not a logical option at all.

Last edited:
OP
surinder

surinder

Tech addict
That mean I have to open the cabinet on daily bases I don't consider it as a viable option.

I repeat only software operated options if there is any and with a hot key to retrieve GPU in working mode again are most welcome.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
I think..the HD4xxx series, have the inbuilt capability all ready. They power-down when not rendering 3-d, so automatically the power consumption for the card comes down. I think it will continue to pull the default 75W (or what ever the exact number is), from the PCI-E bridge.

But if you want..the GPU to be totally off....Mmm...!...will do some research and get back to you....!..Would be a good software to gets ones hand on..!

OP
surinder

surinder

Tech addict
yes it consumes 75watts on idle and if one disconnect its 6 pin power connector (although I'm not going to do it even if that trick brings down the power consumption to 0 watt) all the 75watts will still remains available to it from PCI-E socket so that option simply sucks.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
We need a software..which does the opposite of overclock. Need to grossly underclock the card (for a while at least)...and it will consume less power...!

Give it a try using Riva Tuner...am not at home....so cannot test it out...on my system..

hell_storm2006

Ambassador of Buzz
Well just turn off your monitor when going to sleep. I do that and my electricity bill is always below Rs. 400 for 12 hours a day PC!!!

huntu123

hardcore gamer
currently, there is no such software which cn offload d gpu tasks to onboard graphics n turning it off completely.........if only u hd a nvidia 780a motheroard or better wid a nvidia graphics card it ws possbl to do dat.......otherwise ders no way........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom