need a new procy

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
i need a new procy and i had ordered 4 a E8400 but didnt get it 2night,vendor said he'll be able to get it earliest by Friday night.at present he has ready stock of E2160 & E4500.

my pc will be mainly used or gaming with a HP vp15s (15" LCD) with bits of photohopping,dvd ripping and video editing thrown in.i'll oc anyrocy that i'll buy and i've already got a aBit IP35-E.but if i satisfied with it i'll get a IX38-Quad GT.also i'll be upgrading to Nehalem once it hits the market.

prices of the procies r :
E2160 -> 2600
E4500 -> 4550
E8400 -> 8300

keeping all these things in mind which procy wud u suggest?

plz help me decide.:)

OP
H

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
no i dont need VT.
i just wanna game.so a E4500 sud do me good till Nehalem arrives.gpu is 8800GTS 320MB and 3*1GB of ram.

OP
H

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
main prob is i afaik E2160 & E4500 ont hav any huge performance diff when both r oc'd to above 3GHz.so i'm confused between these 2.
wanted to go 4 E8400 cuz i cud oc it to 4GHz and above.

OP
H

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
yup i know cache plays a big part but then i'm downgrading from Q6600.if i look at cache then my best bet is E8400,but i dont think that its full potential will be used.this thing is just getting on my nerves.i just cant decide which one to buy.if only Intel ud release Nehalem by mid 2009 then i wud hav got the E8400 with my eyes closed.

shadow2get

In the zone
IMO, the safe bet is to go for the less power consuming E8400. I have heard that it can overclock it to about 4GHz very easily.
(Had just read about this: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Overclocking Guide)

FYI, the Nehalem Mainstream Desktop processors will be arriving Q1/Q2 2009.
Chk this link:
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nehalem_(CPU_architecture)#Variants

Even if it arrives say Feb/March, initial prices will be high(assuming). It will take some time for the prices to come down atleast in India. So you would be buying it only around April/May. Thats almost a year by now. You can also read the reviews / cons of the Nehalem processors if any at that time interval.

If your are have budget constraints or not investing more, then you can go for E4500.

If you are still undecided about which to choose, Check out the following links:

E8400, E4500, or E2180?
E4500 overclocked vs Stock E8400

Hope that helps.

OP
H

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
just 4 testing purposes i've a E2160 running @ 3GHz with 2GB ram and 8800GTS 320MB @ 650|2000|1650.when i'm playing Assassins Creed @ 1024x768 with everything maxed out theres a certain lag in the game which i hadnt faced with a E4500 @ 2.76GHz.so is the E2160 uncapable to fullfill my gaming needs.
also general computing usage doesnt seem to be as pleasureable as it had been with my prev configs.
i've the E8400 lying around (got it frm my vendor yesterday but thought i cud do with E2160 so havent opend the E8400).so sud i install the E8400??

darklord

Cyborg Agent
^^ Lucky you.
Actually i am saying this because all these 8xxx cpus are in short supply, they have already disappeared from US stores. Intel isnt going to let these chips be available in abundance till the channel is cleared of 65nm chips.
So hold tight to your 8400.
I am also sitting tight with my 8400 and 8500, not gonna let them go anywhere.Best part is both clock immensely well.
Play with your 8400 and see how it scales.
Could you tell me the stepping and try for max FSB with dropped multi ?

OP
H

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
Stepping is C0.as of now i'm running it @ 450 FSB and its running fine.
just ran a 3DMark06 bench with my E8400 @ 4GHz (445 fsb).this is the score:
SM2.0 -> 5952
HDR/SM3.0 -> 6461
CPU -> 3673

r these scores ok or sud i be getting something more?

______

darklord

Cyborg Agent
That CPU score is very good IMHO.
All Wolfdales are C0 re, tell me the FPO/Batch # on the CPU box. :)
Keep pushing ! Remember to cool the chipset with a fan or somethin, its passively cooled.It does get warm you see.

OP
H

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
FPO/Batch # Q748A123

as far as the ram is concerned its a Transcend ram with a Transcend chip.
so sud i continue feeding 2.2v @ 900 @ 5-5-5-15?
it wont boot with 2.1v

Last edited:

darklord

Cyborg Agent
hmm I know, all their modules have chips with transcend printed over it.Transcend do not manufacture ICs so these are relabelled ones.Take a pic of the sticker on module na.Will make life much easier :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom