Hrishi

Let's put it this way:
You WON'T get the SLI GPU in India. You will have a single GT 755m and be happy with it because this is INDIA. According to Lenovo people, Indians don't NEED the power of GT 755m SLI.
Yes, the laptop will support Optimus. I don't think you have much experience with IBM laptops, gaming on battery will result in FPS drops. You will HAVE to game on battery.
Hope this helps. :))

- - - Updated - - -

GT 650ms are almost extinct now. core i7 quad is just too powerful. I haven't seen a game which utilizes my core i7 3632QM more than 60% with Watch_Dogs leading the pack with 60%. However, games like Crysis 3 benefit from it due to the extra threads. I haven't been able to bottleneck core i7 quad with GT 650M SLI OC(converted to GTX 770m).
Meanwhile, processors like core i7 4500U(just slightly weaker than core i5Ms) easily gets bottlenecked by a AMD card equal to GT 755m(AMD 8850M).
This is no surprise, considering their performance is less than half of a quad core i7.

I don't even consider the ULV anywhere when it comes to mobile gaming. ULV should be strictly avoided when buying a workstation meant for performance.
I have 3610QM , and when I play games like BF3 , Crysis 3 , etc the overall CPU utilization is almost close to 70% at peak , and when I go into multiplayer mode it crosses 85%.
Unfortunately , my GPU is kind of weak as per current market standards. I have to overclock it , to tap some additional benefits.
- - - Updated - - -

In that case, would Nvidia optimus be suppoted? I won't need my SLI GPUs while coding, would I? So is Optimus supported in SLI configuration? And if yes, would it add to my battery life during non-gaming? (I'd be plugged into power while gaming for sure!)
And yes, I have already made a mind about not choosing GT740M, definitely a bottleneck as you guys have mentioned!

740, is weak GPU. At least as per current standards. Would suggest you to get at least 750m or better in GDDR5 configuration.
But before buying make sure you watch out for headroom for OC. Kepler cards are good at that so try to see if anyone is successfully able to drive that card to good results without hitting that temperature .

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
I don't even consider the ULV anywhere when it comes to mobile gaming. ULV should be strictly avoided when buying a workstation meant for performance.
I have 3610QM , and when I play games like BF3 , Crysis 3 , etc the overall CPU utilization is almost close to 70% at peak , and when I go into multiplayer mode it crosses 85%.
Unfortunately , my GPU is kind of weak as per current market standards. I have to overclock it , to tap some additional benefits.
- - - Updated - - -

740, is weak GPU. At least as per current standards. Would suggest you to get at least 750m or better in GDDR5 configuration.
But before buying make sure you watch out for headroom for OC. Kepler cards are good at that so try to see if anyone is successfully able to drive that card to good results without hitting that temperature .

Something is not right....
I have never seen my CPU go above 60% usage even though I push 30 fps in crysis 3 maxed out and 37 fps in Battlefield 4 maxed out.

Hrishi

Something is not right....
I have never seen my CPU go above 60% usage even though I push 30 fps in crysis 3 maxed out and 37 fps in Battlefield 4 maxed out.
well mine does that from beginning. including my friend's samsung np550pc with almost same config.

vineetpratik

Broken In
well i am also in a similar situation , I myself waiting for Y50 , to be launched in august , although it is certainly going to cost more , but has lots of considerable upgrades , that would make it easily last for 4 years , it remains significantly cooler than Y510p , is more slim , has more battery backup , has GTX 860 which has performance greater than 755M SLI with half power consumption and very less heat , with nice overclocking capabilities of maxwell . Its been listed on lenovo india website.
You can wait for MSI too , as classes will begin in july last or august...

rj27

Net Addict
The major setback of the np550pc is the crappy hard disk which has very high latency when I/O operations are performed. The cpu or gpu aren't throttled but the crappy hard disk makes everything hang and the startup time and application opening times on a 3rd generation i7 are comparable or less than a desktop i3 pc.

I would suggest everyone to stay away from the np550pc series unless you are planning to replace the hard disk on purchase itself or replacing the DVD drive and putting a SSD with caddy. The hard disk ruins the whole experience of the other powerful components.

Ps - I own a np550pc-s03in 3630qm lappy and a few other friends too own the same series i5/i7 version and the experience is pretty much the same for all.

Hrishi

Doesn't the Samsung np550pc throttle like hell??? :-/
Well the first batch of this laptop had huge issues , and my friend had it from the first batch itself.
It used to throttle a lot , but then it was later on fixed by Samsung.

- - - Updated - - -

The major setback of the np550pc is the crappy hard disk which has very high latency when I/O operations are performed. The cpu or gpu aren't throttled but the crappy hard disk makes everything hang and the startup time and application opening times on a 3rd generation i7 are comparable or less than a desktop i3 pc.

I would suggest everyone to stay away from the np550pc series unless you are planning to replace the hard disk on purchase itself or replacing the DVD drive and putting a SSD with caddy. The hard disk ruins the whole experience of the other powerful components.

Ps - I own a np550pc-s03in 3630qm lappy and a few other friends too own the same series i5/i7 version and the experience is pretty much the same for all.
I know your pain.
A Hard drive with poor performance , bundled with windows , can bottleneck the performance of even mighty I7s. I am in a similar situation , planning to switch to SSD.

$hadow

Geek in making
A 5400 rpm HDD is always waiting to bottleneck the system. Even after paying such a high cost these manufacturers never cared to put in a 7200 rpm HDD or a good ssd.

OP
Siddharthtech

Siddharthtech

Geekism RC1
I agree! 5400rpm drives aren't upto the mark...
Was just watching a comparison vid b/w two laptops, when it came to data transfer, 5400rpm-54mbps, 7200rpm-186mbps!
PHEW!

I just read your first post, regarding GTX850M(the x50 series is no longer officially designated as mainstream dgpus, but gaming ones, hell 850 beats GTX765 with GDDR5 vram), and in case of Lenovo Y50, I just read a review(finally one in English) here
Lenovo IdeaPad Y50p review | Digital Trends Reviews
(Ignore the link, it says Y510 for I don't know what reasons), Now I don't think DT as a good website for reviews, but they are just fine, and when I read about the screen with a contrast ratio of 90:1.....is it even possible ? I mean if it is, it will be a new low for present generation gaming laptops.
Now there is a troubling part in the present laptop lineup by many...many manufacturers in India, you will find laptops with good GPU, but with a weak Processor(see Dell 7000 series, 750 with GDDR5 vram, but coupled with an ULV i5/i7). Honestly, you can't game much on laptops falling in sub 80k range anyways, so you can go with ULV+Decent GPU, will hold for gaming at 720~, and as for rendering and all, you are in IIT, use the resources available there(as I do in my university). I am pretty sure that they will allow you using their server with those mouth watering Quadros and Teslas.

Edit, I would personally recommend you to go through available Thinkpad edge models in your locality(preferably ThinkPad E540) and Dell Latitude E6540, they sould sell anywhere in between 65K to 80K you may go a little bit out of budget and will sacrifice on gaming front, but sure you will get some durable and future proof laptops)

Last edited:
Top Bottom