Need a Headset under 1k. Purpose: Movies and Music

tkin

Back to school!!
Ain't that true! I have on an average bought at least one low end headphones each year for the past 4 years. Didn't buy last year, since voice from the default headphone of my phone was great, with great bass.

I was just asking whether we have more choices around 1k with mic with them. If not, I will keep HD 201 in consideration. One thing which also surprise me is the difference of prices between ebay and FK! :shock:
FK always charges more for most stuff, except laptops, some mobiles etc.

5fusion

Journeyman
Didn't buy last year, since voice from the default headphone of my phone was great, with great bass.
then my friend i am afraid you are unaware of what is called good sound.

If I consider a budget of 1000 in front of 150-200 which I was spending till now, I think it's a good budget! :p

I might have to go for iBall Rocky suggested by Aaruni, if there are no other options in this budget! :|
the budget is not enough for even a decent sounding headphones as per audiophilic standards. Since movies are the preference and not music and you are considering brands like iBall, i presume sound quality is not at all concerned or a priority.
You have these options and i have no clue how they sound and i doubt they sound any better than HD201--
>Philips SHL3000 Over-the-ear Headphones - Philips: Flipkart.com
>Philips SBCHP400 Headphone - Philips: Flipkart.com
>Sony MDR-MA100 - Sony: Flipkart.com

Even Senns HD 201 is not that great but the best in your budget. you can get to listen to some in stores like Reliance Digital.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
then my friend i am afraid you are unaware of what is called good sound.
Not exactly. The default pair of headphones that came with the phone was really good. Of course, not comparable to the sets which audiophiles have though. But it really has a good bass.
the budget is not enough for even a decent sounding headphones as per audiophilic standards. Since movies are the preference and not music and you are considering brands like iBall, i presume sound quality is not at all concerned or a priority.
You have these options and i have no clue how they sound and i doubt they sound any better than HD201--
>Philips SHL3000 Over-the-ear Headphones - Philips: Flipkart.com
>Philips SBCHP400 Headphone - Philips: Flipkart.com
>Sony MDR-MA100 - Sony: Flipkart.com

Even Senns HD 201 is not that great but the best in your budget. you can get to listen to some in stores like Reliance Digital.

Well, many thanks for giving more choices. But again none of them have a mic. Are there no good options of headsets which have inbuilt mics, even under 1.5k? If not I may have to consider buying a separate mic.

tkin

Back to school!!
Not exactly. The default pair of headphones that came with the phone was really good. Of course, not comparable to the sets which audiophiles have though. But it really has a good bass.

Well, many thanks for giving more choices. But again none of them have a mic. Are there no good options of headsets which have inbuilt mics, even under 1.5k? If not I may have to consider buying a separate mic.
It starts from 3-4k upwards, gaming headsets only, as audiophiiles do not care about mics, gaming headsets like Vengeance or Kave have good audio, IEM wise there's Klipsch S4i.

mitraark

Decrepit
I second iBall Rocky, it's the best VFM Headphones + Mic you'll get, build quality is nice ( although the rubber coating turns a bit oily if kept in the open unused for 3 months :(

Sound quality is very nice, of course i won't compare it with 1k headphones, but at 400 its more than good.

Mic works nice, no qualms.

Using it since 2009.

Sennheiser HD201 not worth the price , my roommate has it, clarity is there but treble is so sharp it hurts sometimes, bass not significant at all. The exorbitant pricing is only because of the Sennheiser name.

sygeek

Technomancer
You can't have the best of both worlds at that price budget, either sacrifice the music quality or the mic.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Thanks all of you to separately me find my next headphone. As much as loosing weight from my wallet hurt me, I finally settled with Sennheiser HD 201. Well, I do needed a mic, so bought a cheap mic separately.

Costed me: Rs. 1530.

Pics:

*i.minus.com/is00ivfHbjNEt.jpg

*i.minus.com/ibpyFRnmIsudW9.jpg

Now. I only have one problem. I am not finding sound satisfactory. Is there some settings which needs to be done? Graphic equalizer have too much options.

What will be best way to calibrate/optimize sound?

tkin

Back to school!!
Umm, how much did you say you paid for it again? HD201 just got a price drop.
Sennheiser HD 201 Headphone,Over-the-head Design,3.5 mm Headphone Jack,Wired | eBay

And HD201 is not that good of a HP, we suggested it cause the rest are worse, try some eq settings, try soft rock or techno.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I don't really trust ebay. The old link still says above 1300 (Sennheiser HD 201 Headphone | eBay).

In mediamonkey, sound is too low, at the maximum setting.
In VLC, sound is too harsh. Too much noise.

Update: I think I made a bit progress. Volume was low from taskbar itself!
And Rock preset of equalizer in mediamonkey sounds good.

tkin

Back to school!!
I don't really trust ebay. The old link still says above 1300 (Sennheiser HD 201 Headphone | eBay).

In mediamonkey, sound is too low, at the maximum setting.
In VLC, sound is too harsh. Too much noise.

Update: I think I made a bit progress. Volume was low from taskbar itself!
And Rock preset of equalizer in mediamonkey sounds good.
Good :D :D

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I wanted to hear from some of the audiophiles here. What music player and tools they use to listen music? And what settings do they use for setting graphic equalizer.

One more doubt I have is that while using equalizer we are modifying the sound. But how do we get the most optimal setting for us to hear the sound the way it was recorded or the way artist wanted to hear us?

PS: Listening to my fav Lucky Ali on VLC. Sound is good.

tkin

Back to school!!
I wanted to hear from some of the audiophiles here. What music player and tools they use to listen music? And what settings do they use for setting graphic equalizer.

One more doubt I have is that while using equalizer we are modifying the sound. But how do we get the most optimal setting for us to hear the sound the way it was recorded or the way artist wanted to hear us?

PS: Listening to my fav Lucky Ali on VLC. Sound is good.
VLC audio is not good, I use WMP and Songbird, and I use custom eq settings based on trial and error.

Top Bottom