Need a graphic card for vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComputerUser

Journeyman
I want a PCI graphic card that can run "Vista Premium Ready" and that can run MOST of the games. I need a PCI card, not PCI-E(please keep that in mind:D ).

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
Yeah only an Fx 5200 for PCI seems a possibility, but its low speed at around .5 times more costly than its AGP counterpart makes it worthless to buy .. Upgrade instead since no one knows if PCI graphics will be capable of running any sort of games or Aero at all. Its too old and slow!

OP
ComputerUser

ComputerUser

Journeyman
Ok...If not PCI, how about AGP!!!:D
I have an Intel 865G motherboard. Any graphic card which supports vista(not the premium one, vista capable) and can run most games?
Also it's cost should be upto Rs 6000.

rocket357

Security freak
To be truly "Vista Capable", your computer needs to have a pair of GeForce 90500 cards...and seeing as how the 8800 was released not long ago, I'd say you have a bit of a wait ahead of you =)

Just kidding...I ran Vista (RC1) on a GeForce 6600 for a while (I only got a 2.8 out of 5.0 in Vista's "user experience" rating, so if you're looking to do better, then SLI GeForce 7300's or better would be the ticket). As for PCI, well...I think you're limited more by the bus than by card selection. The don't make GeForce 8800's for PCI...bus can't keep up.

So if you can upgrade to AGP, I'd *strongly* recommend you consider it seriously.

OP
ComputerUser

ComputerUser

Journeyman
rocket357,
I don't want AGP cards but...can't get any PCI cards which can run vista and most of the games. If you know any PCI card which can run Vista "Capable", please do tell me.:)

rocket357

Security freak
PCI = slow

AGP = fast

PCIe = uber fast

Card manufacturers are under pressure to keep up with "bleeding edge"...they're not terribly interested in pushing out low end graphics cards.

Though someone did mention that the 5200 is available as a PCI card...I'd get that one if you ABSOLUTELY cannot use AGP or PCIe. It's a bit of a waste, but heh, it's better than running Vista in "software rendering" mode, eh?

Edit - until the 5200 was mentioned, I thought the newest PCI card you could get for PCI was the MX4000 (tells you how long it's been since I've used a PCI video card!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom